Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Twenty Two

(Maddie POV)

Another hard day at work. I was finally numbing myself to the pain of death…after all, my heart was already cracked and bleeding too much to feel anything else for anyone. Setting my keys on the counter in the kitchen, I began to shuffle my way past the living room to go upstairs. That’s funny…I don’t remember leaving the living room light on. As I went to go turn it off, a familiar figure stood up from the couch, making my heart leap into my throat.

“Jared…?” I breathed his name, too startled to know what to do or say.

“Maddie.” He rushed over to me, enveloping me in a hug as tight as a boa constrictor’s. He smelled like spices and fresh soap, the smell comforting me. His breath danced over my ear and cheek as he whispered softly to me. “I’ve missed you so much.” Releasing his grip on me, he left me feeling oddly separated.

“What are you doing here? I heard you were doing shows on the west coast.” He nodded while running a hand through his scruffy brown hair.

“Something came up…Can we please talk?” I tensed up. This was the moment I was scared of—terrified of actually. But, there was no way to avoid it. Nodding, I motioned toward the couch and sat down. Jared followed my action, a whole cushion between us. Fear already mounting, I took this as a bad sign.

“What about?” I knew exactly what it would be about, but hope fluttered faintly in my chest, only to be crushed a few seconds later.

“About what happened at the hotel…”

“Jare…” He held up a hand, effectively silencing me.

“Please? I really need you to just hear me out.” He stared at me intently, so I nodded for him to continue. Taking a huge breath, he began to speak. “I just want to start off by saying I am so sorry about that. If I could go back, I would. I never wanted to lose your friendship for something so stupid as sex, even if it was…nevermind.” He clamped his mouth shut for a second, giving my thoughts time to jumble into chaos. Did he think it was his fault? What the… “Please Maddie…can we still be friends? I can’t tell you how much it’d mean…” Tears blurred my vision and I hiccoughed on them, thoroughly interrupting the man before me. “Shit…I’m sorry. Please don’t cry!” I shook my head, waving him off.

“It’s not that…Here I thought I was the one screwing things up.” Laughing through my tears, I tried brushing them away as they fell.

“Wait…what?”

“I thought our friendship would be over after I had sex with you…that you wouldn’t want to be around me.” His large hands cupped my face, thumbs brushing more tears away.

“Is that what you thought?” I nodded with some difficulty due to his hands. He chuckled softly, the frown leaving his face. “God…I’m such an idiot. Can you forgive me?” I blinked at him, mildly confused. Seeing this, he smiled gently at me. “I wanted you so bad that night that it took everything I had to just form a sentence.” I blushed deeply, heat filling my body. Did he really mean that? I just smiled nervously at him, feeling just as silly for blowing the situation out of proportion. Obviously, it takes two to tango. He let go of my face, resting his hands on his thighs.

“I shouldn’t have freaked out that morning. I just got scared that you’d think less of me somehow and that our friendship would disintegrate.”

“I could never think less of you, Maddie. You are the most amazing person I know.” Feeling embarrassed, I looked down at my scrub-covered legs.

“I’m glad you’re back.” Feeling the urge rise, I gave him a tight hug. At last, I felt whole again, my heart mended as if nothing ever happened. Strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer, removing the final distance we had built.

“Me too…” I smiled against his shoulder, feeling content to just sit there in Jared’s arms. Our friendship is so strange. Sighing in relief, I sat up and let go of the man before me. His chilling blue eyes were staring intently at me, making me wonder what he was thinking.

(Jared POV)

As we hugged for a second time, my heart leaped in joy. I had her back and we were still friends. Her soft floral sent calmed me as I squeezed her tightly to me. I felt her smile against my shoulder and let my own grow in response. Sitting there, I felt everything revert to normal, and relief flooded me. At last, I was home.

Maddie pulled away and sat up. Staring at her, all I could think of was how adorable she looked in her work attire and how grateful I was to my brother for pushing me to go talk with her. I had rearranged the dates for today, tomorrow, and the next day so that I could get the chance to work everything out with her. Now that we were ok, I felt a creeping sadness descend on me as I realized I wouldn’t be able to stay here for long. I couldn’t do that to the fans, and I doubt Maddie would let me even if I could. Her dark eyes gazed at me as if seeing into my soul. Shivering slightly at the thought, I sent her a soft smile. Her own was as sweet as nectar to me. God, how I’ve missed her.

“Maddie, why don’t you come with me?” I didn’t really mean to voice the idea, but it was too late, and as I watched her reaction, I realized that I really hoped she said yes. Surprise, sadness, and fear flashed over her features, filling my stomach with knots. I think I can guess her answer already.

“Jared, I can’t…I have a job and a home…I can’t just up and leave. What about my friends?” Looking down at my lap, I tried to hide my disappointment. Like lightning, a sudden thought struck me, and I lifted my eyes to hers.

“We could pay you. You could be like our personal tag-along doctor.” My grin stretched from ear to ear, straining muscles in my face that hadn’t been used since leaving the Caribbean. Maddie, however, was less enthusiastic.

“That’s your money though…I can’t constantly be living off of you like a parasite. I won’t do it.” Crossing her arms, she looked for all the world like a child throwing a tantrum. I had trouble keeping my laughter inside.

“You won’t be…Please? The guys and I would love having you travel with us.” She shook her head, hair flying in a halo around her.

“Jared, no! I have a job. I’m not taking your money.” I frowned at her. With all the acting and concerts, cds, signings, etc., the guys and I had more money than we’d ever need. I wish she could see it from my side. Spoiling her may not have been her idea of fun, but all three of us loved it. Shannon’s nickname for her was very apt at describing what she was to us. She is our ‘little princess’, and we’d spoil her every day if she’d let us.

“Would you at least think on it?” Attempting to mollify her, I dragged her into another hug. “Even if you aren’t patching us up, we’d still enjoy having you along with us. We miss you when you’re not around.” She looked up at me, her expression unreadable. Smiling softly down on her, I vaguely imagined what it’d be like to have Maddie around 24/7. The image that cropped up was a chaos of laughter, pranks, and fun.

“Just because I like you, I’ll think about it.” I smiled wider and tightened my embrace.

“Thank you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
For my lovely commenters. You guys are amazing, and you make me feel like I'm doing a good job on this. :)