Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Twenty Six

(Jared POV)

My fingers itched to run over my phone’s keys, forming a message to Maddie, but as we were rushed from the plane to the venue and into makeup, I hardly had a moment to spare. The warm-up practice sounded good and the songs went without a hitch. Accompanying us tonight was some band from the UK, and they impressed me with their stage presence. Selfishly, I hoped they wouldn’t upstage our performance.

In hair and makeup, I was forced to sit under the expert hands of the team supplied to us. Thus, the wait began. Each second that ticked by felt like an eternity. Shannon laughed at my squirming in the chair, obviously not as wound up as I was. Trying to let go of the strange onset of nervousness, I closed my eyes and leaned back slightly, careful to not disrupt the girl fiddling with my hair. As she finished, another person started to dab on a light layer of eyeliner. Like a statue, I held perfectly still despite wanting to just burst out of my skin. Since I was going for a more natural look, the makeup didn’t take long.

Taking a break between makeup and wardrobe, I joked around with my brother and Tomo, the three of us making weird noises and funny poses. Grabbing my phone, I shot Maddie a quick text and waited with hesitant excitement. Judging by the time, she may or may not be at work still. It felt strange to me to be this wired before a show. Yeah, I do get nervous and excited, but not to this level…at least, I haven’t felt like this in a long time. A ping made me nearly jump, earning a laugh from Tomo.

“You think you’d be used to that sound by now…” Like a child, I stuck my tongue out at the man.

Hey you…Yeah I’m going to be there. I’ll be the one cheering the loudest. :)

I smiled widely at the text before putting my phone away, being ushered to the small rack of clothing by a petite woman with a short black bob and a very punkish style. Knowing it’d get hot, I picked out some comfortable pants and shirt. If it got too warm, I could always just take the shirt off. Leaving on the gloves Maddie got me, I got changed quickly and waited for the other two to finish up while sitting in a chair in the middle of the room. While sitting there, my thoughts turned to Madison and what she’d be doing and if she’d really make it. Her job often held her late.

“Hey, Jare? The other guys want to go practice some more. You up for it?” I blinked up at Tomo and nodded. Anything to get rid of my edginess.

------------------------------------------

Peering out from the side curtain, I could barely make out the crowd. It was a sea of shadows occasionally lit from behind by the spotlights on the band. Like waves, the rows of people leaped to the music and roared their approval. The lights went up as the band finished their song, and I thought I spotted Maddie talking to some guy. A flame rose in my chest and I squelched it…Why do I care who she talks to? Waiting for the techies and roadies to change out all the equipment, I turned to my fellow bandmates and gave them a pep talk.

“Ok, so we’re going to go out there and knock them off their feet. We’re going to get them jumping and screaming for more. Give them the best show of their lives. Ready?” As the lights went dim, Shannon and Tomo raced out to their respective places, leaving me to wait for my entrance. Somewhere inside me, I thought “let Maddie like this…”, and rushed onto the stage.

“Hello Charlotte! I hope you all are doing wonderful tonight!” The crowd cheered, deafening me briefly and making my smile grow. Pushing back my hair slightly when it tickled my forehead, I cued Shannon and Tomo to start the first song. I threw my heart into the lyrics, feeling so alive as the crowd sang with me and roared louder than ever with each song. Minutes turned into hours as the concert rolled on, and before any of us realized it, we were on the last song. Not even sure if she was actually here, I threw caution to the wind and made a spur of the moment decision.

“We’d like to dedicate this last song to someone very special to us. Without them, we would be lost.” I set the mike on the stand and worked my way across the stage to the piano on the right side. Alibi was one of Maddie’s absolute favorite songs, and I couldn’t end the night without playing it for her, even if I couldn’t see her or know she was definitely there. Sliding my fingers along the keys, I began to sing. By the second verse, the lights swam over the crowd and stopped just at the front of all the people, and I finally spotted the familiar face I had been hunting for all night. With a smile, I continued the song, my heart thudding sharply in my chest. The song ended almost too quickly, and as I bid the crowd a good night, my gaze left Maddie’s own. Ducking behind the curtain, I pulled aside one of the massive security guards.

“I need you to go get someone for me. She’s wearing a pinstriped corset and has wavy reddish-brown hair. Bring her to the dressing room, ok?” The large man nodded and toddled off to do as I requested while Shannon, Tomo, and I worked our way back to the room.

The guard couldn’t have taken any shorter amount of time to find Maddie, but the rising anticipation in me made patience next to impossible. As she was ushered into the room, everything else ceased to matter. Her outfit looked even more amazing up close, and I swallowed roughly. Luckily, in the mad rush to dog-pile her, no one noticed my reaction. Surrounded by sweaty men, Maddie chuckled softly, the sound making me smile widely. She and Shannon bantered for a brief moment before she turned to me, a faint blush creeping across her face.

“You really were fantastic. Thank you for the dedication.” As she pushed back her hair nervously, I grinned even wider. Why does she have to be so adorable? I pulled her into a one armed hug and squeezed tightly.

“I meant every word.” And I did. Without her, Shannon might not be here, and I can’t imagine what I’d do without him…or her for that matter. Tensing up, Maddie brushed me off and leaned back against the edge of the table, her corset sliding up at the bottom to reveal smooth skin. I swallowed roughly and turned to the other two males, catching the latter half of their discussion on food. Maddie declined the offer of food, but I took it, stomach gurgling at the thought of a tasty sandwich.

“Save me something!” With the sweat slowly drying on my skin and the shirt sticking to me, I crossed the room with all intentions of changing tops. “Man, I feel nasty.” I dug through the shirts, trying to find one that was both comfortable and not too warm.

“So…did you guys have a good time?”

“As always” Finally finding a suitable t-shirt, I took it off the rack. Turning, I noticed the strange look on Maddie’s face and wondered not for the first time what she was thinking. “I’m really glad you could come tonight.” I smiled softly at her, feeling utterly at peace. A strong urge to just be near her rose in me, and I closed most of the distance between us. “I’ve really missed you…” Being around Maddie made my brain-to-mouth connection run haywire—all my thoughts seemed to just run out like word-vomit. Luckily, she seemed to agree with me as she smiled softly while looking up at me with her gorgeous doe-eyes.

“I’ve missed you too. It feels like forever…” A pang shot through me, catching me off-guard. I know we’re almost always apart, and, as of lately, it had been starting to bother me. Did it bother her too? The last thing I want is for her to be unhappy.

“I know…” I heaved a sigh, wrapping my arms around her small frame and holding her tightly. Heart thudding painfully, I realized that I didn’t want to leave again, and once more, my mouth refused to be filtered. Maddie tensed up under me, and I wondered if I said too much. Before I could retract my statement, I felt her nod against my chest and waited.

“I wish you could stay too…but your fans would call out a search party. They adore you.” My stomach twisted at her confession—she did want me to stay. If only I could give her that…

“Come with me…” Tensing, I waited for her answer. I had already offered once before and had been shot down like a lead balloon. Leaning back in my arms, Maddie looked up at me with such sad eyes, and I knew what she was going to say, but despite that, I still tried to find something in her expression that would offer hope.

“Jare…” Looking like she was about to break, I grasped desperately for the small hope I had. Not knowing why I wanted her to come with me so badly, I reduced myself to begging.

“Please?” My voice cracked slightly under the strain of holding in all the emotions whirling inside me. It was the equivalent of being a love-sick teenager all over again, and this thought took me off-balance. Surely I didn’t…I couldn’t be…Jared Leto does not fall in love. Looking at the lovely woman in my arms, I struggled to place the emotions I felt for her. She was definitely someone I cared about, but with her dressed the way she was and with her skin pressing against mine, it took a lot of restraint to not pin her to the wall and ravish her. This thought brought a flood of memories from the night in the hotel, and I nearly choked on the air I was inhaling. “I…Damn it!” Irritated at myself for being so inarticulate, I slammed my hand against the wall and turned away. Why did everything have to be so complicated? What is Maddie to me? A slight whimper made me whirl around, the sight that greeted me making my heart sink. “Maddie?”

“It’s nothing…” She tried to wave me off, but clearly something was wrong, and I wasn’t ignoring it a second time. I raised my hand to draw her closer and was shocked when she flinched violently from my touch. It was as if she thought I was going to hit her. Like a lightning bolt, realization struck me: she had been hit before by someone in anger. Horrified and angry that anyone would DARE raise a hand against such a sweet woman, I had trouble keeping my rage hidden from my voice.

“It’s not nothing…you know I’d never hit you.” Body sinking in shame, Maddie nodded silently, and I felt my heart thud painfully at the sight. However, my rage still boiled in my veins, coloring my vision crimson. “Who did it?” Maddie’s gaze sank to the floor as she let out a quiet murmur. “Maddie?”

“Jare…please don’t?” She seemed to collapse into herself, her voice so soft that I could barely hear it. Deciding to give up questioning the poor girl, I wrapped my arms around her slowly and hugged her tightly to me, my ire fading at her soft scent of flowers .

“Ok…alright Maddie.” Placing her head on my chest, Maddie almost instantly relaxed, bringing a small smirk of triumph to my face. At least I could help cheer her up, even if it was only a small bit. “If I ever find him, I’ll kill him.” Again, my mouth ran ahead of my brain, but it was such a true statement that I didn’t care that I had voiced it. Anger not entirely gone, my body tensed momentarily before relaxing against Maddie’s warmth.

“I got him pretty good after he did lay a hand on me. It’s just a stupid reaction really. Please don’t say anything?” The reaction was anything but stupid, and Maddie’s nonchalance about this made my skin crawl. She’s too nice sometimes. Noticing my discomfort, she turned her dark gaze up at me, and I felt myself caving in.

“If that’s what you wish…” Nodding softly Maddie smiled delicately and the urge to touch her overwhelmed me. I slid my rough fingers over her cheek, enjoying the silky skin. She is just too damned lovely, and my heart shared the sentiment by fluttering suddenly in my ribcage. “God…you are just so…” I cut the sentence off just in time, keeping myself from making it awkward. Why was our friendship so…strange? She blinked at me owlishly, obviously waiting for the other end of the sentence, but I shook my head.

“Jare?” Sighing in minor frustration and confusion, I hoped she would just let it go. I didn’t even know what I was feeling, so how was I supposed to explain it to her?

“Nothing.” Smiling crookedly at her, I began to pull on my shirt, instantly missing the skin on skin contact. Looking down at her again, my eyes slid over her outfit. The top revealed sinful curves, and it surprised me that she would own anything like a corset. The jeans were an almost adorable touch, the belt screaming “Maddie”. “I like your outfit. Very…cute”. Cute was not the word I would’ve used originally, but I don’t know how Maddie would take to me calling her sexy. She smiled at me, and I suddenly had to fight the urge to kiss her. What was wrong with me?

“Thanks. I haven’t gotten to wear it in awhile.” Sitting above her adequate chest, a familiar necklace glittered in the fluorescent light. Trying to keep my gaze at an appropriate level, I stepped up to her, and slid my fingers under the necklace I got her, lifting it up off her smooth skin.

“I’m glad you’re still wearing this. It looks good on you.” She blushed and smiled softly, looking utterly adorable in her embarrassment.

“Of course. It’s my favorite one.” I smiled widely at her, feeling joy soar in my chest at the fact that she liked something I gave her. Suddenly, the door opened to reveal Shannon and Tomo, both carrying sandwiches and drinks. I stepped away from Maddie and went to grab my food while she leaned against the table nearby. Shannon gave me a look as I approached, but I ignored it in lieu of snatching my sandwich. It felt so good to see Maddie again, but the feelings I get whenever I’m around her puzzle me to no end. Not ready to dwell on it, I distracted myself with playful banter with Tomo and Shannon.
♠ ♠ ♠
I adore comments!!!! Hope you're enjoying my story.