Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Three

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of my doorbell ringing. I rushed down the stairs, still trying to shimmy into my robe. I tended to sleep in very little clothing. As I swung open the door, the delivery man paused, arm raised to knock. We shared a small laugh before he handed me the electronic signer. I signed quickly, asking about the delivery. For the life of me, I couldn’t recall ordering anything.

“It looks like a whole lot of flowers.” Blinking in shock, I saw the man wasn’t joking. Five vases were filled with lilies and roses and other gorgeous flowers. The man helped me carry them into the kitchen, where I set them on the giant marble-topped island. The man left, and I sat down on one of the stools, picking out the card buried amid the roses. The beautiful script made me smile almost as much as the words it formed.

Beautiful flowers for a wonderful person. If you aren’t doing anything tonight, call me?

-Jared (XXX-XXX-XXXX)

Blushing, I took the card with me upstairs and entered it into my phone once I grabbed it off the nightstand. I hesitated to press send, not really sure if I should seem so eager. Deciding against it, I merely pushed the save button and saved it under Jared. No need to add a last name. He’s the only one I know. Feeling gross, I trotted off to the shower.

The hot water helped ease away the stress from last night, and the scent of pomegranates and cherries helped me to feel less nervous about the whole flower thing. After all, it isn’t every day that a girl gets five things of flowers, especially from a celebrity. Smiling softly to myself, I cut off the water and dried off. I think I’ll wait awhile and then call him. After all, it was only—checking the clock—eleven in the morning.

After slipping into a pair of jeans and a tank top, I headed out the door. Amanda wanted some explanations, and I agreed to meet her at the coffee shop not far from where either of us lived. Upon arrival, I ordered a large chai latte and picked a table near the window. I was early, so I kept an eye out for my crazy friend. She would most likely be there any minute—her curiosity can outbeat any cat’s. Sure enough, I spotted her blonde and pink head dashing through the parking lot.

“Maddie!!!!! You must tell me everything!” I hardly stood a chance as the petite woman launched onto me, wrapping her arms around my neck. Laughing, I hugged her back before we separated and sat down.

“You don’t need any coffee…Shall I start first, or do you want anything?” With a large smile on her face, Amanda leaped to her feet.

“Of course I do. I’ll be right back.” I shook my head at her, holding in more laughter. Staring out the window, I watched as grey clouds worked their way across the sky. It looked like the kind of day where it should rain, but never does. While my thoughts drifted, Amanda came back with a medium hot chocolate and nearly spilled it when she plopped down into her chair. “So tell me everything!” I sipped my tea and, deciding it was still a bit too hot, began my story.

An hour later, the two of us still were sitting in our chairs, pondering what Jared’s gesture meant. Amanda kept insisting that it meant a date, but who was she kidding? A rockstar falling for someone plain and ordinary like me was highly unlikely. I took the final swig of my tea and stood up to throw it away. Amanda followed suit, grabbing our bags and handing mine to me after I dusted off my hands.

“Thanks…now, let’s go shopping!” If I was going to call Jared later, I wanted a nice dress on hand…just in case. Yeah, I keep telling myself that.

Reaching the mall wasn’t a long trip, and we made it even shorter by filling the time with wild car dancing and loud music. Every time one of our songs we liked came on, we’d scream the lyrics. Despite these crazy antics, my driving was near perfect—I promise. Upon our arrival, Amanda ran to the entrance, throwing out her arms. For a 24 year old, she hardly ever acted her age. It made me feel young to be around her, even though I was only older by a year.

After five stores, I finally found the perfect dress. It was a pale yellow, strapless cocktail dress with a slight ruffle to the bottom hem. On the chest piece of the dress, there was a little silver brooch that added just the right amount of flare. With my silver strappy heels, this dress would be classy enough for dinner while still having the right touch of flirty and cute. Amanda decided she needed a dress as well and decided on a platinum-silver sequin, strapless cocktail dress. Her tastes were more wild than mine, but she pulled it off beautifully. In the end, both of us walked out feeling wonderful about our purchases. I couldn’t wait to see Jared’s reaction to my outfit. I hoped it was a knockout.

Bringing Amanda with me, I got home around 5 and tossed the dress in the wash on hand wash as the tag instructed. I wanted it clean in time if I needed it tonight. While waiting on it, Amanda and I kicked back on the couch and started watching some silly movie on the t.v. with a bowl of popcorn and mugs of hot tea. The warm herbal mix relaxed me, keeping me from being jittery and nervous about the pending phone call. Speaking of which…As soon as the movie ended, Amanda gave me this look with her arms crossed.

“So are you going to call him finally?” I sighed, nerves catching up to me. I grabbed my phone off the table and sat back on the comfortable, squishy sofa.

“Yes…but I’m nervous. What if it is a date? Or, what if we made a big deal out of nothing…I mean, he is a celebrity. Like hell he really has an interest in me. He probably just wants to say thanks again and then never call again.” I heaved a breath out of my chest. I really need to stop thinking so much. Amanda smiled softly at me.

“You’ll never know until you call. Don’t make me do it for you!” I glared at her, which only rewarded me with a laugh, so I looked back down at my phone to dial the man of the hour’s number.

-----------To Jared------------

I nearly had a heart attack as my phone went off on the table beside me. Shannon and I had been watching some show about deep sea crabbing while Tomo ran out for snacks. Nerves had made me jittery, and I had been fidgeting all day. Shannon was on mandatory bed rest for the next couple of days with the order to drink lots of water. The face he had pulled when the doctor said this made me laugh. He hated sitting still, and apparently so do I. The flowers I had sent to Maddie was just one small gesture of thanks, and I had hoped she would have called sooner so I could find out if she liked them. I don’t really know why it matters so much to me…Maybe because she saved my brother’s life and I felt the need to repay her in some way. Hell, we all wanted to thank her over and over again. As the phone rang a second time, I leaped across the bed to catch it.

“Hello?” My voice was abrupt, probably catching the person on the other line off guard.

“Um…Mr. Leto?” My brother laughed at the face I made, but I ignored it for the semi-familiar voice on the other end.

“Please, Jared’s fine. Mr. Leto makes me feel old.”

“Ok…Jared.” I smiled at her soft tone. She sounded like one of those young adults who first got told to address another adult by their first name. It was mildly adorable. “Um…I got the flowers. They were lovely.” My grin widened, earning a look from my brother. As I lay on my stomach, I saw him mouth ‘who is it?’ I responded back ‘Maddie’, which earned me a hand in my face, asking for the phone. I batted the offending appendage away, rolling farther across the bed.

“I’m glad you liked them. I wasn’t sure which you’d like the most.” Her chuckle on the other line lightened my heart.

“I loved all of them. They really brighten up a room.” My brother edged closer to my bed, waving around his arm. He was horribly persistent.

“Listen, Maddie. I was wondering if you would like to join Tomo and I for dinner. Shannon’s on bed rest, but he…” Shannon had gotten up and snatched the phone from me before I could even finish speaking…little prick. I refrained from tackling him like I usually do, since the doctor ordered that he take it easy.

“Hey Maddie! It’s Shannon. I didn’t get to thank you for saving me last night, so…Thanks. A bunch…like really!” Even I could hear the laugh Maddie let out.

“Ok Shann…I think she gets it. Now, can I have the phone back?”

“No…I’m still talking to her!”

“I had it first!” Unable to resist, I leaped onto my brother, sending us both to the floor. From there, it was a mad scramble for the phone. I got lucky and got to it first. “Hey…sorry about that. He stole it from me.”

“Did not!!!” The giggling on the other end was a combination of two people, puzzling me.

“Maddie, who else is there?” I heard a loud whisper from another female say something like ‘Oh my gosh, say hi say hi’.

“That would be my best friend and sister not of my blood Amanda. Oh, and she says to say hi.” I heard a squeak in the background and resisted the urge to laugh. An idea came to my mind, and I grinned wickedly, earning a concerned look from Shannon.

“Please, put her on?” I heard rustling and a whispered argument before a lighter female voice answered.

“Um…hi?”

“Hello there Amanda. Did you know your friend saved my brother’s life?”

“Mmhm. I was with her until she leaped on stage.” My eyes widened…Oh really?

“Well, we are all trying to find a way to show her how thankful we are, but she keeps saying not to. Care to help?”

“She’s stubborn like that…Yes, I’ll help. I think she deserves the world, but that’s just because she’s like my big sister.”

“Amanda, what are you doing!” I could hear Maddie’s indignant voice clearly through the phone and wondered for a moment if we were on speaker.

“Nothing, now go make some tea and relax before you have a heart attack.” I smiled at that. They were so like my brother and I. “So…what do you have in mind, Mr. Leto.” Her voice was like a purr, obviously satisfied with our little plot.

“Jared, please. And as for that, that is where you come in. I do not know Maddie the way you do, but I would really love to somehow repay her for the great service she provided my brother with.” Silence reigned on the other end long enough for me to wonder if the call had been dropped. Just before I pulled my phone away to check, Amanda’s voice came through.

“I think a dinner would be a good idea, maybe followed by dancing or a movie? Make her feel special for one night. She deserves that much.”

“No I don’t! Don’t you dare fill his head with any ideas Amanda Swain!” My grin stretched across my face, an idea forming rapidly in my mind. Despite hearing Madison’s yells through the phone, I still managed to catch the rushed goodbye Amanda gave.

“Seriously though, she really deserves to be treated like she’s special for at least one night. Bye Jared!” Blinking at the phone, I was puzzled by the quick end. I placed the phone back on the table before rolling onto my back, resting my head on my arms.

“I think this is going to be a good week…” My brother’s only response was to huff indignantly and roll over onto his side, putting his back towards me.
♠ ♠ ♠
The two dresses are:

Maddie: [img]http://www.edressme.com/strapless-dress-n4050.html[/img]

Amanda: [img]http://www.edressme.com/sequin-cock-n1004.html[/img]