Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Thirty One

(Maddie POV)

I stared out the window, the warmth of the sun heating up my skin as I looked upon the backyard. In my hands, my tea remained forgotten. Why did I feel so empty when the guys were gone? They had left only a few hours ago, and yet, it already seemed like ages. I had nothing to do for the rest of the day, and time seemed to stretch out before me.

A sudden buzzing made me jerk to my senses, and I left my post to get the door. Upon opening it, I was engulfed in a tight hug and caught the scent of jasmine. Smiling widely, I returned the hug, happy with the coincidence of the surprise visit. Amanda began chattering rapidly, not even stopping to let me respond. With a grin on my face, I stood out of the doorway and let her in, still listening to her talk.

“So, a little birdie told me you ran into Corey this morning and that Jared totally flipped and wanted to kill him. I don’t know why you didn’t just let him, or even how you kept him from doing so. Are you ok? I know how bad things are between you two…You and Corey, I mean.” Joining the bubbly blonde on the couch, I tucked my feet under me and nodded.

“I’m fine, just slightly shaken. As for the why, well…I don’t think it’s a good idea for Jared to start a fight in a restaurant, especially when he’s a famous celebrity. It wouldn’t be good press.” Rolling her eyes, Amanda sighed heavily.

“I still think it would’ve been amazing if someone decked the little prick.”

“I did break his nose that day…remember?” I was kind of miffed that everyone keeps forgetting that I did fight back the last time. Did they all just think I’m some little porcelain doll to be treasured and kept safe behind a glass prison, admired but untouched? Amanda flapped her hand at me, brushing me off.

“Yeah…but he deserved more than that. Someone’s got to teach him that he can’t just go around abusing women. I mean, what if he does it to the next one that comes along?” I shrugged, unsure of how to answer, and we both sank into the couch, mood slowly dropping. Trying to rescue the situation, my long-time friend turned to me and proposed an idea. “You know what…I think you need cheering up. Let’s go out and party!” Feeling the drag of last night’s shenanigans, I started to refuse.

“I have work tomorrow, and honestly, last night was enough of a party to last me awhile…” Again rolling her eyes, Amanda sighed and threw her hands up into the air.

“Do you ever go out anymore? Come on, I’ll make sure you’re in bed by 12…” Rising to her challenge, I sat up straight and glared at her.

“Fine. Let’s go then.”

--------------(Jared POV)-------------------

Looking out the airplane window onto the city lights, I wondered what Maddie was up to. She had been really quiet all day, and none of my recent texts seemed to be reaching her. Worry blossomed in my chest briefly before my brain made a logical argument: she could have been called in to work. Beside me, Shannon drummed his hands on his thighs in time with the song playing through his headphones. After glancing around the cabin, my eyes traveled back to the world outside. In a few minutes, we’d be landing in Chicago for tomorrow’s concert.

No sooner had the wheels touched down that I had my phone out and Maddie’s number dialed. If she didn’t answer, I’d assume she’s at work…hopefully. Why was I worrying so much? Maybe because we had just had a run-in with her ex…I heaved a mental shrug as the second ring went by. Before the third ring finished, a click proceeded loud music and yelling.

“-Llo lovely!” The familiar voice slurred horribly, almost unrecognizable in the din echoing in the background.

“Maddie? What the hell are you doing?”

“Mmmm…having fun.” She drew her words out in an almost sing-song manner. “You ssshould be herrrre with us. Manda found a great place for drinking. They’ve got killlller mixes!” A tingle washed over me, and I felt my worry spike. I heard laughter and the tinkling of glasses in the background and sorely wished I had stayed.

“Please be careful?” I heard her giggle loudly into the phone and winced at the volume. She was definitely on her way to being plastered if she wasn’t already.

“Yeah…ok. I’ll call you tomorrow. Manda’s dragging me somewhere.”

“I mean it, Maddie!” Still feeling uncomfortable, I got ready to hang up.

“Bye handsome!” Blinking at the phone, I wondered how much she’d had to drink in order for her to let that slide out. The call ended while I was staring at the screen, and beside me, Shannon gave me a weird look.

“Maddie’s drunk.” With that said, I started heading to the car waiting for us. Tonight was going to be a long night if the anxiety didn’t go away soon, and as my thoughts turned, I began to think that it wouldn’t be disappearing until she called me back.

------------------(Maddie POV)-----------------

As my alarm went off around 8 am, I felt like dying. My head throbbed in time with my heartbeat as my eyes burned with the slightest light. Rolling over, I found a glass of water and a bottle of pain killers on the nightstand. I smiled at Amanda’s thoughtfulness and quickly took two of the pills with a big swig of the cool liquid. Standing carefully, I worked my way to the bathroom and began my morning ritual.

After my shower, I felt a little more human, so I choked down a bagel and a cup of tea before strutting out the door. Last night is almost one big blur. Getting into the car, my thoughts whirled around my head as I tried recalling exactly what happened. I remember drinking several mixed drinks with Amanda before things start getting fuzzy. A sudden flash of Jared’s phone call had my face heating up. God, I must have sounded so stupidly drunk to him. I hope he doesn’t look down on me for that…

I got to work with several minutes to spare, so I quickly sent Jared a text to let him know I’m alive and well. I got no response back, so I turned my phone off and set it in my locker with all my other stuff and headed out to a long day of blood, guts, and boo-boos.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, sorry for the wait!!!! Comments are loved greatly!!!