Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Thirty Two

(Jared POV)

I opened my eyes to see my phone flashing at me and snatched it off the table beside the bed. My heart thudded as I hit the view message button, and as I saw that it was from Maddie, my whole body relaxed. She was ok after all. All the worry disappeared as I read through the short message and smiled. I wish I could call her to just talk with her, but she said she’s working until 6. Putting the phone down, I sat up and scrubbed at my mess of hair. Today was going to be a long day…

---------------------------------

At last, I sank into the sheets. The concert had gone flawlessly, and my body went limp with exhaustion. My phone let out a soft chirrup, letting me know I had a text. I lazily swung it up to read the message and smiled softly.

Hope the concert went well. :) Call me if it isn’t too late for you? I have news.

Curiosity rose in me, so I quickly dialed Maddie’s number and listened to it ringing. She picked up on the third ring, her hello sounding very sleepy. I hope I didn’t wake her up…

“Hey there. What’s this news you mentioned?” Maddie let out a soft chuckle before responding.

“So, the hospital had a meeting today, and I found out that we have a conference in a month. Guess where it is?” I shrugged to myself and took a shot in the dark.

“Mmmm…Mexico?” Her laugh this time was a little more boisterous.

“No…Los Angeles!” I broke into a large grin. We’d be there around the same time due to some awards show. An idea sprang into my mind, widening my smile further.

“That’s awesome Maddie! How long will you be there?” I heard the rustling of paper before she responded.

“The conference is only for two days, but I’m booked at the hotel for an extra few days. Maybe we can…I don’t know, meet up?” Excitement shot through me, making my heart drum.

“Sounds like a plan. Just do me a favor?” Knowing how L.A. could be to strangers, I felt a bit of worry creep up.

“What’s that?”

“Please be careful, ok? L.A. isn’t the friendliest city in the world.” Her soft laugh echoed on the other end of the phone, making my worry shrink ever so slightly.

“I will…But Jared?”

“Hm?”

“Keep in mind that I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself.” It was my turn to chuckle. I couldn’t forget that she was…not after seeing her play with herself with thoughts of me in her head. However, I still felt the almost overwhelming need to protect her and keep her safe, especially after we ran into that prick she calls her ex.

“Ok, Maddie…I will. Take care!”

“Night Jared.”

“Sweet dreams, princess.” I hung up with a small grin as she started her usual curses at the nickname. Despite all her protests against it, the alias had stuck. Setting the phone on the bedside table, I sank into the pillows and was asleep in minutes.

---------------------------------

Days and nights blurred together, and it began to seem like life was passing me by. This was an odd feeling since I was doing the things I had always dreamed of. How many kids actually grow up to become actors and rockstars? Despite knowing how lucky I was, my heart felt like it was missing something. As my phone dinged beside me, I blinked out of my thoughts and snatched it up.

Hey…Maddie’s supposed to be landing soon. Wanna surprise her? I smiled at my brother’s text message and shot back my answer.

Hell yeah! Pick me up? My prior mood was completely forgotten in the excitement. I can’t wait to see her face when she realizes we’re the ones picking her up.

In no time, Shannon had dropped by and got me, and the two of us floored it to LAX. It was bound to be a madhouse since it was near 5 already, meaning rush hour traffic both in and out of the airport. Antsy, I kept fidgeting in the seat as we made our way to the airport.

“Do you have any idea where she’s flying in from?” Shaking my head, I wracked my brains for any snippet Maddie may have let slide and found none.

“I’m assuming it was a straight-shot from Charlotte…” Shannon rolled his eyes, at last turning into the parking deck. As he turned off the car, I hopped out of my seat and raced around to start walking towards the building.

“Slow down, eager beaver…She probably hasn’t landed yet. I know she said she’d be getting here around 5:15ish.” I glanced at my watch—we have fifteen minutes before Maddie’s plane lands. Inside the airport, I walked over to the giant board of flight times and hunted for any flights coming from Charlotte. One was listed as having landed, and I felt my heart leap in joy. She was early! As I raced back to Shannon, I made sure my hood was up so that the paparazzi wouldn’t spot me. My brother had on a beanie and sunglasses, looking slightly like a modern hippie in his ripped jeans and tee.

“The list says a flight from Charlotte landed already. Keep your eyes peeled.” The two of us meandered our way over to a set of chairs and kicked back, waiting to see the familiar female we have come to care about. After ten minutes of scouting, I felt Shannon’s elbow dig into my side and looked up to where he pointed.

“There’s Maddie. Let’s go!” With a large grin on my face, I took off after the wandering woman. Despite the crowd, she moved quickly, making it hard to catch up. Luckily, she halted by the luggage pick-up, dark eyes scanning the conveyor belt. Feeling like I was about to burst out of my skin, I snuck up behind her and tapped her shoulder.

“Excuse me miss, but you’ll need to come with me.” Leaping in fright, Maddie whipped around, hair flying around her. As realization dawned on her, she flashed a brilliant smile at me, wrapping her arms around my waist. I squeezed her to me tightly, closing my eyes in contentment.

“Jare! What are you doing here?!” Letting go of Maddie, I stepped back and let my brother have a turn to greet her, feeling disappointed that the hug didn’t last longer.

“We decided to surprise you and pick you up today instead of letting you wander on your own.” Her smile widened as she looked at me, at last unraveled from all the hugging.

“Aw…you guys are so sweet.” Her smile faltered slightly, and I tilted my head in puzzlement. “But what if the paparazzi see you here?!” I reached over and flicked Shannon in the head.

“Hence why we’re in disguise.” Succeeding in making her laugh softly, I linked an arm through hers and started to walk around the baggage claim conveyor. “Now, let’s get your stuff and get you to where you need to go!”

“Shhh! You’re attracting attention…!” Shannon laughed at Maddie’s attempt to get me to calm down. I was too wound up for whatever reason, and the feeling of her hand in the crook of my arm sent tingles up said appendage.

“Bah…Come on. We’ll be fine.” At last, Maddie spotted her suitcase and went to heft it off the belt. Reaching over her, I quickly took it from her grasp and began to make my way out to the car, ignoring her protests.

“But you don’t need to do it! I’m perfectly capable of handling my own bag.” Her lips pushed out in a pout, filling me with the urge to just kiss them. I brushed off the feeling and stuffed the bag into the trunk, slamming it shut with a chuckle.

“I know you are, but you are a guest this time, so you shouldn’t have to do heavy lifting.” Sticking her tongue out at me, Maddie shuffled to the back seat and got in. I followed her, taking shotgun. As we ducked into the vehicle, Shannon glanced at Maddie in the rearview mirror.

“So, where are you staying?” Buckling herself in, Maddie didn’t look up when she answered.

“The Hilton off South Grand Avenue…” I whistled loudly as Shannon backed the car out of the space. That was a damned nice hotel for a business trip.

“Think it’s a bit much for a business trip?”

“I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been.” I looked back at her and smiled.

“Then you’re in for a treat.” Maddie’s return smile was bright, making my heart thud roughly in my chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maddie's the one visiting now. :) Comments are loved!