Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Thirty Three

(Maddie POV)

I sighed as I walked down the gorgeous hallway. It had been a long day of meeting after meeting, and my body ached to just crawl into my pjs and lay down. As the door swung open, I spotted a plastic wrapped thing on my bed and approached warily. On top of the shining plastic was an elegantly scrawled notecard.

Be ready by 7 downstairs. See you then.

I frowned in confusion. What the hell was Jared up to? Lifting the object, I realized it was a long, formal gown, and my curiosity deepened. Looking at the clock, I realized I had around an hour and a half to get ready and rushed off to shower the day’s grime off.

------------------------------------------------

(Jared POV)

Standing in the lobby, I felt as if the whole world were staring at me. The tuxedo I wore made me overly warm, and I shuffled my feet anxiously while glancing at my watch for the twentieth time since arriving at Maddie’s hotel. Given that we were ten minutes early, I couldn’t help but feel like she was taking forever. Around me, the few people in the lobby lifted their gaze to the grand staircase and froze, making me turn around to see what the fuss was.

My heart thudded to a stop as Maddie carefully descended the steps. The dress Ivana had picked out fit the woman perfectly, and I found myself indebted to Tomo’s sister as I watched the fabric swirl in shades of blue and green. Maddie looked stunning, and somehow, she had twisted her hair into an ornate bun to show off her graceful neck. Smiling up at her, I held out my arm and helped her down the last few steps.

“How did you figure out my size?” I led us to the door, hoping we could get out before anyone could ambush us.

“Ivana. I got lucky that she was in town. Now, are you alright for a semi-late night?” She nodded softly, making her earrings sparkle in the light. I felt like my heart was about to explode from my chest as we ducked into the limo I rented. Inside, Maddie raised an eyebrow at me, not failing to notice Tomo and Shannon sitting across from us.

“Jared…what are you up to?” Wiggling my finger, I winked at her and buckled in. The ride wouldn’t be too long, hopefully.

“It’s a surprise. You’ll see when we get there.”

--------------------------------------------------

(Maddie POV)

A dull roar preceded a large mass of people, making my heart drop to the floorboards. Was he fucking serious? I turned to him, feeling all the color drain out of my face as he grinned out the window in anticipation.

“Oh no…no no no no no! Jared! I can’t do this!” Face falling, he stared at me.

“Yes you can…” I shook my head and gestured to the flashing of thousands of cameras.

“No I can’t! What will you say? I’m a nobody, Jare…I’m just a pig in fox’s clothes.”

“Hey! No you aren’t…” Holding back the flood of panic in my veins, I glared at him. Did he really think he could just sweep me into his world? Life didn’t work that way.

“Jare, I’m not one of you. I’m just plain, boring Maddie.” His piercing eyes locked with mine, making a small shiver run down my back. He looked dead-set on getting me out of the car.

“Shannon, take her left. Tomo, follow behind ok? Maddie…You’ll be fine. Who cares what they think?” I wilted under his gaze.

“That’s several thousand people…and press…” Rolling his eyes, Jared motioned to the door, and Shannon exited first. As it opened, the screams intensified, making my nervousness rise. Nudging me with his elbow, Jared made it clear that I was to go next. Fear bubbling under the surface, I gripped Shannon’s hand a little harder than necessary as he helped me exit the vehicle.

A warm arm linked with mine on either side as I tried to blink back the dazzling lights. Cheers and yells from all around deafened me. It was like a dream, where everything moves in slow motion and nothing seems to really be happening. Jared’s smile grounded me as the trio waltzed their way down the carpeted walkway.

“Who’s the lovely lady, Jared?”

“Shannon! Is she yours?!”

“How about Tomo’s!?”

Jared smiled mysteriously and drew me closer as he faced the paparazzi. Smiling nervously at them, I tried to hide my rising urge to scream and go running in fright from the crowds of people. Shannon faced the opposite line of press to answer questions about the album, and Tomo disappeared somewhere behind me.

“She happens to be a very close friend of ours, and since she was in town, we decided to invite her as our guest to tonight’s award ceremony.” As soon as his words ended, there was a massive influx of more questions, like who I was, where I was from, etc. Jared just waved to them and had me following after him down the strip of carpet. “Relax, Maddie…Just act like you belong here.” I fought the urge to slap him, settling for a quick glare before hiding it behind a large grin as another camera flashed in my face.

“I can’t believe you brought me to an award show! God…by tomorrow, everyone back home is going to be calling me about this…” It was like running a gauntlet, only harder since I was in high heels and a dress that wrapped itself around my legs with every step.

---------------------------------------------

(Jared POV)

As Maddie clung to my arm like a lifeline, she failed to see how many people were eyeing her, some curious, others impressed. Pride filled me at the thought that she was on MY arm and not anyone else’s…except, of course, my brothers’. At last, we made it inside, and I felt Maddie tense up further as almost all of Hollywood milled around her. I patted her small hand and led the group to where we should be sitting, smiling when I saw who was around us.

“Hey there Jared! Congrats on the new album!” I nodded to one of my long-time friends, Colin, shaking hands with the man before gesturing to Maddie.

“Thanks. Colin, I’d like you to meet Maddie. I’m sure you’ve already heard some buzz as we walked in.” Maddie blushed deeply as she took the man’s hand, smiling nervously at him.

“Hello there. So, you’re what some of the fuss is about?” I caught the quick glance he shot me and ignored it, looking around the huge room at who was here. “News travels fast in Hollywood, and especially so on awards nights. I bet everyone will be talking tomorrow.” Maddie’s face lost its color briefly as she snapped her gaze between Colin and me.

“Well, I didn’t know we’d be coming here…Blame him!” She flicked her wrist at me roughly before sending me yet another glare. Colin’s laugh filtered around us, shocking the woman.

“He didn’t tell you?! Oh wow…Jared, you really are a trip.” His gaze slid over Maddie, making anger rise in me briefly. “For not knowing where you were going, you do clean up beautifully.” The red stain that seeped across Maddie’s face was worth the short fit of ire. Suddenly, the lights dimmed, and everyone began to take their seats.

“I’m sorry for not telling you. I wanted to surprise you…” Taking her small hand in mine, I attempted to remedy her anxiety. I don’t know why she is so nervous. She looks absolutely stunning in her gown, and she hid any of her fear well when we were outside. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think she was a celebrity herself if I saw her on the red carpet.

“Well, you definitely caught me off-guard. I just thought we would be going to a fancy dinner or something…” The first speaker interrupted any further conversation, but I felt a slight easing of tension as the night wore on.

---------------------------------------------

Flashing lights nearly blinded us as Maddie, Shannon, Tomo, and I exited the building and headed to the limo. With her brave-face on, Maddie strutted her way down the red carpet beside me, leaving a warm feeling inside my chest as she blended in with the stars around her. I ducked into the limo behind her, letting the door shut on the roaring crowd with a bit of relief rising in me.

Sprawling out, I propped my arm on the back of the seat behind Maddie, who sighed heavily and leaned her head back. The glare she sent my way was half-hearted at best, forcing me to crack a small smile. In return, she shoved me playfully in the shoulder.

“Don’t ever do that again…I thought I was going to die in there.” I tilted my head at her.

“But you were absolutely stunning tonight. You easily fit in with everyone there.” The deep blush that crossed Maddie’s cheeks had me straining to keep a straight face so she’d know I was serious. The dress she wore looked absolutely fantastic on her, and she truly fit in with any one of tonight’s A-listers.

“You’re just saying that…” Shaking my head, I glanced at my brother for help.

“Seriously, Maddie…you were amazing out there. Jared wouldn’t lie to you, and neither would we.” With a warming grin to the girl, Shannon at last broke through Maddie’s worry, allowing a bright smile to form on her face. I felt my own grin spread across my face, only for it to fade as we reached Maddie’s hotel a few minutes later.

I slid out of the limo first, holding out a hand for Maddie to grasp. Her small hand slid into mine as if meant to fit there, and I tried to shake the weird thought before Maddie noticed my pause. Sharing a small smile together, the two of us walked to the front of the hotel together, arm-in-arm.

Warm arms wrapped around my neck in a tight hug, Maddie’s breath ghosting across my ear. Suppressing a shiver, I hugged her back tightly, silently wishing I wouldn’t have to let go. What is wrong with me?

“Goodnight Jare…I hope you guys can drop by in my area again sometime soon. I missed you all a lot.”

“We missed you too. Stay safe, ok?” The paranoia of Corey had filled me with an urge to just be by Maddie constantly in the last few weeks, and it peaked sharply at the thought of her leaving. Maddie nodded, oblivious to my worry.

“You too. See you guys soon, hopefully…” Trailing off, she turned to go back inside after waving to the guys on the curb. Watching her retreating backside, I felt torn between our two worlds not for the first time. The ache inside me pitched sharply as Maddie’s figure disappeared from sight, and suddenly, the world tilted under me.

Walking back to the limo, my thoughts were in a jumbled mess. I wanted her to stay so badly, even though I know, logically, she has a life away from us. Seeing her tonight, though, had me wondering if it would really be so hard for our worlds to merge. The image of her in that dress still had my mouth turning dry, and the feeling of her hand in mine made my heart beat faster than normal. As I stared out the window, my thoughts milled around in my head.

The ride was nearly silent, and even when we arrived home, I didn’t say much other than goodnight. Too many things were vying for my attention, keeping me from sleep. Lying in bed with the sheets strewn around me, I still felt like I was missing some piece of the grand puzzle as thoughts of Maddie swam in my head.

---------------------------------------

Jaaaared…

I turned around, fog swirling thickly around me. Maddie?

Jaaaared…

Whipping around again, I strained to see where the eerie calling was coming from. I took a step forward, feeling a deep sense of dread rising.

Jaaaared…

I turned slowly around as the voice called from directly behind me. The sight that greeted me made my heart drop to my gut. Bruises and cuts covered the soft pale skin as Maddie laid on the invisible ground. Her eyes were swollen shut and purple, lips split and bleeding. The sight made bile rise in my throat as I crouched down beside her, taking a gentle hold of her hand.

“Maddie…?” My voice cracked in fear. Is she still alive? The thought of her…Hot tears blurred my vision. She couldn’t be…

“I…It was…Corey…I’m sorry…I tried…” Shushing her softly, I cradled her to me, relief flooding me that she was still with us.

“It’s ok. I’m here now.” When I caught the bastard, he would wish for death. Rage helped burn away most of the lingering fear, but I still worried she wouldn’t make it without help. Lifting the light body, I carefully tried to find a way out of the fog. I struggled for an eternity, not finding anything but swirling white blindness.

“Jare…I have to go.” Looking down sharply, I felt sick. She couldn’t…

“No…We’ll find help! We have to.” Maddie shifted to press a chilly hand to my cheek.

“It’s too late. I’m sorry…” Dropping to my knees, I was filled with despair.

“Please…You can’t leave me here alone…” Her skin paled impossibly whiter, the bruises standing out in stark contrast. Her hand on my skin felt like ice as she pulled herself up to meet my gaze.

“Jare…I’m always with you right here.” Pressing her other hand against my heart, Maddie smiled softly at me. “I…I love you, Jared.” The deepest sadness fell over me like a wave, forcing burning tears down my face as I tried to hold on to Maddie. Like a ghost, she faded into the mist around me. As if all the life had been sucked out of me, I fell forward over my knees, pressing my head into my hands as I sobbed for the first time I could remember.

“Don’t leave me...Maddie!


“MADDIE!” I shot up out of the covers, sweat-soaked and choked by terror. Oh…thank God, it was only a dream. Looking around the dawn-lit room, I let the relief of reality slowly ease away the lingering despair that I had lost Maddie forever.

As I sat there, thinking over the nightmare, I had a sudden and violent epiphany. Every little thing Maddie does makes me smile. Every time I’m near her, I feel like I’m where I belong, and every time I just catch a glimpse of her, my heart goes into overdrive. She’s the reason I can’t control myself, and she’s the reason why I feel like floating…I am in love with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dress: http://tonybowls.com/item/?i=111756&collection=Tony%20Bowls%20Paris

Hope you guys enjoyed it! New chappie coming soon. I've already got part of it typed up! Sorry for the wait!