Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Four

(Jared POV)

I spent the last hour and a half pacing around the hotel room, waiting for Maddie to call. Shannon grinned from the couch, calm and collected. It had been awhile since I’d taken a girl out for more than a quickie in the tour bus, and I wasn’t sure how Maddie would like it.

“Relax Jared…you’re giving me whiplash.” I glared at him and ran over to the mirror to check my shirt again. I kept feeling like I had buttoned it wrong or something, but every time I looked, it was fine.

“How do you thank a girl when she doesn’t want to be showered with gifts?” The question was rhetorical, but of course Shannon answered.

“Um…just say thanks?” He received a glare from both Tomo and myself.

“She saved your life…”

“I know. That’s why I plan on giving her the hugest bear hug ever, and then I’m giving her you. You’re my gift to her.” I stared at him in confusion. What the hell was he talking about…

“That’s stupid. No one would want Jared. He’s too hyper and irritating.” Rounding on Tomo, I threw the nearest object—an old sock—at him.

“Jee…thanks. I love you too.” I plopped down on the edge of the bed, fiddling with my gloves. The sock hit the side of my leg and fell to the floor.

“Lighten up. I’m sure she’ll love a night with the famous Jared Leto.” My phone went off, making all three of us jump before I leaped to answer it.

“Yellow Jello?” A giggle let me know Maddie was on the other end.

“Hi there. I’m ready when you are.”

“Great. I’ll see you in a little bit!” I hung up, itching to be on the road. Shannon tossed me my coat as I ran out the door—in case the night got cold.

The drive to Maddie’s bordered on an eternity, and I kept fidgeting in the seat as it seemed like I caught every red light. The house I pulled up to as the GPS hit the finish flag was lovely. It had stonework all along the front entrance to the door with large glass panes inlayed into the giant wooden door. The pathway to it from the driveway was cobblestone, and the driveway itself was big enough for two cars side by side. The rest of the house was Tudor style, with dark wood and deep yellow-cream walls. It looked like it was halfway between a one story house and a two story mansion.

As I walked up the pathway, I suppressed the urge to run to the door. Excitement bubbled in me for some odd reason, and I had trouble staying calm. It was like being on a sugar high without the crash. I reached the door and spent a few seconds trying to calm down before ringing the doorbell. The nervous butterflies were something I’d forgotten existed after so long, and it bothered me. I sang in front of thousands almost every other night, but trying to thank a girl for saving my brother’s life sent me into a tailspin of worry and nervousness that I haven’t felt since starting my musical career.

I heard the staccato tap of high heels on wood flooring before the door swung open and my mouth turned to ash. Silver heels ran into long legs that disappeared all too quickly under yellow ruffles. The material looked light as a feather, lending Maddie a pixie-like quality. Eyes trailing slowly upwards, I admired the curve of her body under the material before snapping my gaze to less rude areas. Smokey brown eyes gazed back at me, laugh lines crinkling ever so slightly by the corners. Her cheeks were slightly flushed, and I assume it was from running to the door. Her hair was pulled up in a neat updo with just a couple of strands framing her face in purple and brown. All in all, she was lovely—not at all what I expected after the sweaty, punked out chick from the other night. The difference pulled a smile across my face, and I offered her my arm.

“Shall we?”

-----------------Maddie time---------------------

“We shall!” Upon opening the door, my eyes had the delight of being graced with the fine view of Jared Leto in not so average clothes. His black dress shirt fit him perfectly, not hiding the muscle under it entirely. The black pants were a little less formal, chains hanging off a few pockets. The shoes were just plain black slip-ons, and they added to the downplaying of the formal shirt. I didn’t fail to notice his scrutiny of me when I had opened the door, and the attention sent a blush creeping across my cheeks. Luckily, Jared seemed to not notice, and instead offered his arm with a smile.

As I slipped my hand into the crook of his arm, I could feel the solid muscle under the thin cotton sleeve and felt a wave of warmth at the thought of how those arms would feel around me. I slapped myself mentally before the thought could continue. He’s Jared Leto…he wouldn’t be interested in a girl like me. Fairy tales don’t happen in real life, and to set myself up for disappointment would be stupid and masochistic of me.

Together, we marched to the driveway, and I couldn’t hold back a gasp of shock. I had expected to take the same generic, black S.U.V. that he had driven the other night, but the car in the driveway was anything but. Sleek lines and curves slid into the shape of an obviously expensive car. The black paint glistened in what little illumination the light over the garage offered, and I was suddenly glad my little car was in the garage for it would have paled in comparison to the Maserati sitting in the driveway. Jared chuckled at my startled expression and patted my hand.

“I wanted something a little sleeker than the tank. Hope it isn’t too inconspicuous.” Rolling my eyes, I stepped forward.

“Of course not. It’s only one of maybe a few models out there in the city.” My blush deepened as Jared opened the door for me, and I was immensely grateful for how dark it was outside.

“Well, I suppose it’ll have to do.” I grinned up at him as he continued to banter. For just a little bit, I could almost forget he was famous…just almost. I hope he didn’t try to do anything super fancy. After all, why put a price on thanking someone? Just the fact that they could keep going was thanks enough, but they seemed to disagree. And Amanda didn’t help anything with her plotting. My train of thoughts derailed as Jared slid easily into the seat beside me, our arms touching as we both fought for the use of the center console as an armrest. I stuck my tongue out at him, lightening my mood, only to receive a return raspberry. This sent both of us into a small bout of laughter.

“It’s a beautiful car. May I ask the reason behind the extravagance?” Jared shrugged, easily sliding the car out of the driveway and onto the street.

“I felt like it. Besides, Amanda says you love fast cars…”

“I’m going to so kill her after this.” Piercing blue eyes captured my gaze for a moment at the stop sign before turning back to the road.

“Why? Can’t I just show you part of my thanks by treating you to a nice night out?” Face heating up, I bit my lip nervously. I hate being spoiled in any way, shape, or form, and now I had someone who was fully capable of doing it to such an extreme as I could never imagine. The thought frightened me. It would feel like taking advantage of him and his bandmates, and the thought drove a weight into my belly.

“I feel like it would be taking advantage of you and all the others, and that is far from fair.” Jared nodded in understanding, sending a wave of relief through me.

“Ok…well, what if we want to do something nice for you? Then it’s not taking advantage because you didn’t ask for it.” Resisting the urge to smack my forehead with my palm, I sighed softly and looked out the window before responding.

“You are such a loophole finder.” The grin it caused was nearly worth my exasperation at the situation I was slowly falling into.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I avoided civilization for my own, so sorry for not updating sooner! Exams are coming up for me, so I don't know if I can update as often as I had been, but I'll try!