Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Five

(Maddie POV)

The restaurant had a good view of the city, and it was obviously pricey. Every table had an ornate candelabra centerpiece that matched the immaculate, white tablecloths. The dishware was white china with gold filigree around the edges, matching the gold utensils. It was all too much, and my face burned with the knowledge that I would never spend the amount of money Jared probably was on dinner.

“What are you thinking?” Blinking out of my thoughts, I turned from the window to smile softly at the man across from me.

“Honestly? I’m thinking about how this is too much for a simple thank you.”

“Tut tut…you saved Shannon’s life. We’d all like to do something to show you how much it means, but you’re being awfully stubborn and uncooperative.” He wiggled his finger at me, like the way a mother does to a child, and I laughed. It was so strange to feel like I was with a normal friend even while dressed to the nines and sitting in what could easily be the most expensive restaurant in the city. I opened my mouth to make a smart remark when the food arrived. The pile of pasta on my plate looked fit for a king, and it smelled like heaven. I groaned before picking up my fork.

“Bon appétit!” Jared winked at me in return before tucking into his own dish—some kind of pesto dish.

“So, you’re a med student…how much longer until you’re through?” I smiled softly, pleased he remembered what I do.

“One year…not even. I’ll be done in the spring.” He nodded, eyes intent on my face. Feeling a blush rising, I turned to look out the window. “I’m nervous about it, but I’m also excited. I’ll finally get to do what I’ve been working for all my life.” Blue eyes still trained on me, Jared fiddled with his glass of wine.

“What exactly is that? I know there are lots of areas…” I turned back to him, hitting my stride as we strayed into my subject.

“I plan of working surgeries. I feel like that is where I need to be. If someone comes in from a wreck or an accident, I want to piece them back together as if they were never hurt. Saving lives is my biggest dream for a job. I’ve wanted to be a doctor since I was young, and I always told people that I would be one day. Now I am living that dream…” Realizing I was rambling, I paused to sip my own drink to hide my embarrassment.

“It’s always good to follow your dreams. You never know where you’ll end up.” I smiled at him before taking a bite of food.

“Like you? You’re a world famous rockstar…and an actor as well.” The smile he gave me nearly took my breath away. “What?”

“You said rockstar first…” Blinking in confusion, I shrugged.

“That’s how I heard about you. I didn’t even know you acted until I saw you in Chapter 27, and even then, I didn’t think it was actually you.” My talking only seemed to make him smile more, and it made my cheeks burn.

“Dessert?” Sighing internally in relief, I sent a silent thank you to the waiter for his perfect distraction.

“What is there?” I held back a groan. The wine and food alone was going to cost a pretty penny. I didn’t want to begin to imagine the bill with dessert added. “Maddie…is that ok with you?” Horrified that I had spaced out, I felt my cheeks flame as I grasped for a hint of what had been said. Sensing my loss, the waiter—bless him—repeated the dish.

“A chocolate cake with molten center, covered in caramel and walnuts, and topped with whipped cream and a side of real vanilla bean gelato.” Mouth watering, I nodded softly while trying to hide my anticipation. I think Jared sensed it anyway because he chuckled softly.

“Excited much?” I will probably be blushing permanently for the rest of tonight…

“It sounds amazing, and I am female. We live for chocolate.” He winked with a devious smirk on his face, making me regret opening my mouth.

“I’ll be sure to remember that.” Turning my head to look out the window again, I snuck glances sideways at Jared. The lighting hid him in shadows, giving an overall mysterious air to him. Piercing, gorgeous blue eyes roamed the area around us, making it easier for me to admire his figure. His hair looked better in the soft, natural brown cut he had it in tonight, and it looked tangibly silky. Suddenly, he glanced back at me, catching me staring, and smiled. “Would you like to do anything else?”

“Like what?” Jared shrugged, muscles rippling smoothly under the thin cotton.

“I don’t know…but it’s too early to go back, and I’d like to get to know you some more.” I smiled softly while lowering my head to hide yet another blush. It was easy to forget he was famous until I caught the other glances and flat out stares from the other patrons, and then reality crashed back in. He was only doing all this to make up for some debt he felt to me. Luckily, before he could continue, the dessert arrived and we both fell silent.

My thoughts tumbled about me in a mess. This whole night had been amazing so far, but I kept feeling like it was indeed a date, and the thought bothered me. I don’t want to be seen as some groupie, nor do I really want to be spoiled—and spoiling comes naturally when you date a celebrity. Hard work and sweat and tears…that’s how you earn things, and I’ve always felt that to be the honest truth. And yet…here I am, letting Mr. Leto pay for a very expensive meal all on his own. Stomach knotting, I put down my fork and claimed to be full. As the check arrived, I offered to go Dutch, but was immediately shot down.

“Just enjoy one night of pampering. You deserve at least that much.” I sighed softly, torn between enjoying the outing and hating the doting. Life is so complicated. Jared offered his arm, and I took it with a smile. “So, where to?” Looking up at him, I smiled wider.

“How about we just take a walk and see where we end up?” Grinning, we left the restaurant.

“Sounds like a plan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
BTW: the car Jared was driving is the 2010 Maserati Quattroporte sport gt s
Comments are loved greatly!