Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Eight

(Maddie POV)

One of Jared’s hands slid to my hip, and I suppressed a shudder. The sensation remained even after I realized his intentions, feeling myself tugged across the seat. Feet hit pavement and I heard lots of cars in the distance, but wherever we were didn’t have many. A door closed several yards from us, followed by the chirp of a car alarm being set. Parking lot?

“Come on…I think you’ll like this!” The hand on my waist directed me forward, nudging to the left every few steps. After a few feet, we stopped and a door slid open. Dry, chilly air settled on my arms, raising a few goosebumps. Many voices surrounded us, confusing me.

“Can I look now?” I turned my head slightly in the direction I thought Jared was in, but found I was wrong as his warm hand slid away. Blinking away the sudden brightness, I finally figured out where we were and laughed. “Ice skating?” I turned around to face Jared, whose face was set in a disappointed frown.

“You don’t like it?” Shaking my head, I giggled into my hand.

“I love ice skating! How’d you know?” He just shrugged and smiled softly at me, blue eyes piercing my own.

“I just thought you might like it. We couldn’t find anything else near enough in case you had stuff to get done.” I smiled wider, dancing in place.

“I’m really glad I didn’t. But…I don’t have socks on…” Jared’s face fell, making me laugh. An arm on my shoulder made me turn my head. Shannon’s grin made me slightly nervous. What is he planning?

“We’ve got some more in the car…You never know when you need socks. There was this one time…” Jared nearly knocked me over as he rushed to cover his brother’s mouth.

“Shut up!” I laughed at the two brothers, noticing Tomo just walking up to us, socks in his hand. He tossed them to me as he neared and motioned to the siblings.

“While these two were rushing you inside, I grabbed these for you. I figured you’d want some since you’re not wearing any.” Smiling softly, I nodded to the calm man.

“Thanks Tomo. I really appreciate it.” Obviously done with their squabble, Jared and Shannon motioned for the two of us to come on. I fell into step behind the group, excitement bubbling inside me. I really do love to skate.

------------------------------------

For what seemed like the hundredth time, Shannon’s feet shot out from under him, leaving him backside down on the ice. I bent over slightly, my ribs aching from laughter. Beside me, Jared just pointed and let out a loud bark of laughter, only to lose balance and fall backwards like his brother. Tomo glided past all of us, waving to me with a grin as if to say “good luck with those two”. I offered Jared my hand, regretting it when he tugged me over.

As I landed on him, he let out a huff of air. My arms fell on either side of his waist, my head taking a nose-dive into his chest. Pain blinded me for a second, making me wonder silently if I broke my nose. My legs folded under me, fitting neatly between Jared’s own. If my nose wasn’t sending shoots of pain to my head, it would have been a relatively intimate pose. Be that as it may, I pushed up slightly with my left hand, bringing my right one up to inspect the damage.

“Owwie…” Warm hands wrapped around either side of my face, forcing me to look up with gentle pressure. Jared’s face was plastered with concern and remorse.

“I’m sorry, Maddie…Are you alright?” Pulling lightly on my rhinion—the ridge along the top of my nose—I didn’t feel anything pop, so it wasn’t broken.

“I’m ok…It just really hurt to nose-butt you in the chest.” I looked up with a small smile to prove I was ok. Shannon shuffled over along with Tomo’s help.

“Hey…that wasn’t nice of you! Poor Maddie was doing so well! Now Tomo’s the only one who hasn’t fallen!” With a sharp kick to said man’s feet, Jared easily evened the score.

“Damn it, Jared!” I laughed, mildly struggling to get to my feet. With a light push, I was off, circling the ring quickly. The cool wind pushed the strands of hair that had gotten free back, tickling my neck. As I neared where the three men were standing, I aimed for Jared and caught him around the waist, slinging myself into a circle and nearly falling in the process. Jared jumped in shock, the force of our collision sending him in a pirouette before he hit the ice again. I leaned over and stuck my tongue out.

“Now we’re even.” Laughing loudly, he proceeded to get back to his feet.

“Hardly…1…2…” I blinked at him. He wouldn’t…

“You wouldn’t dare…” His intense stare never wavered, but a smirk broke out on his face. Oh…crap…

“3” As he slipped while trying to take off, I shoved off of the ice with the toe pick, rapidly trying to outdistance the singer. Our chase lasted a good few minutes, with Shannon and Tomo following with camera phones at the ready. As I made a full loop, Jared cut across the center of the ice and the two of us met at the wall. Together, we slid several inches in a tangle of limbs and skates. Cold ice bit into my back as I stared up at crystal blue eyes full of mirth.

“Gee…thanks.” His smirk morphed into a full out grin.

“You’re welcome” was his chirruped response. Shannon stopped himself beside us with the wall’s help, nearly falling over.

“Oh my god, that was hilarious! We caught it all on video too!” I rolled my eyes and sat up. Powdered ice littered Jared’s hair, making me giggle. I’m sure mine had just as much in it as his.

“Just don’t put it on YouTube?” I pouted up at Shannon, hoping he wouldn’t.

“Nope…this is for our private enjoyment, and for Jared’s torment. Muwahaha!” Imitating an evil laugh, Shannon narrowly escaped Jared’s tackle, windmilling his arms to keep from falling. I laughed harder at their antics, getting back onto my feet. Today was turning into another great day, despite the knock my nose got.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it?