Status: In major progress!

The Beginning

Chapter 1

I sit crossed legged, my legs hold up my sketch pad. My hand colorful, and swiftly stroking that paper. The wind blows the hair on my head. I exhale a puff of smoke; the cigarette almost out. In the sunshine, my skin bakes, my being is warm, happy, content.

I stare at my strokes, satisfied with the new landscape. I lean my head against the tree behind me, letting my sketch fall to the ground next to me. I pull my knees toward my chest. I close my eyes waiting for the dreams to play across my eyelids. But the movie never comes. It's just black.

A cloud covers the sun. The wind blows softly across my skin. It caress me, and I let memories from my past roll across my mind. Each one bringing a smile to my face. Each one bringing back the pain. Each one comforting me in the life I once had.

The cloud passed over, my cigarette went out, and people started coming in. In moments the park was filled with people. Couples held hands and cuddled on the granite benches. Kids played in the grass, and dogs caught frisbees. I walked to the fountain, and tossed a penny in. Heads up. Today's my lucky day.

Back at my mother's Savanna I shake my mother awake.

"Is it time to go already?" she asks.

I nod my head. The engine starts, and seat belts click into place. We pull out of the park, heading home.

"Uncle Jed is in prison." My mother tries to start a a conversation. She does this every time after we go to the park. Every time I sit in silence.

"Aren't you going to say anything? Your Uncle is in jail. You should be upset." I sit there, staring out the window.

"Why the silence? Your always quiet and expressionless. What happened to you?" My mother shook her head. "You know he's never going to be found. You need to move on. Honey, please forget about it."

'The thing is, I can't. How could I forget? That was the worst day of my life.'