A Rock Opera.

Are You Leaving Home?

Dearly beloved, are you listening? I can't remember a word you were saying...
Are we demented
Or am I disturbed?


"Is it just me, or this whole town insane?" I asked incredulously. Brad's and my mum's faces were a mixture of shock and rage.

Nobody's perfect and I stand accused
For lack of a better word and thats my best excuse...


"You know what? I'm leaving." Even I was surprised by the words that had left my mouth. Sure, I was turning sixteen in two weeks...but where would I live?

The name hit me like a big yellow school bus.

San Francisco.

I headed off to my room.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Brad roared, moving to the doorway. I rolled my eyes.

"Get out of my fucking way, jackass." I pushed him as hard as I could and ran into my room. I blindly packed some clothes into a duffel bag and ran out the back door again. I head my mum screaming from inside.

To run, to run away
To find what to believe...


I sprinted as fast as I could in the direction of San Francisco.

And I leave behind this hurricane of fucking lies...

I sprinted further and further away from my house, away from the lie I had lived for fifteen years.

So I run, I run away
To the light of masochists...


I could see the San Francisco lights in the distance. I made my way onto the highway, when I had to stop for breath. I couldn't walk all the way to San Francisco. Sticking my thumb out to the side of the road, I attempted to hitch a ride. A beaten up ute pulled up beside me in a matter of minutes. Inside, sitting at the driver's seat, was a man who looked to be in his fifties.

"Hi," I said breathlessly, climbing inside. The man gave a toothless smile. "San Francisco, please."

He nodded and continued to drive along. I thought about how many times I had thought about escape - and now it was actually happening. I sat back in my seat and rested my eyes.

And I walked this line
A million and one fucking times...


I had dreamt of this so much...and I'd nearly made it. And I stood up to mum and Brad once and for all.

I don't feel any shame, I won't apologise,
When there ain't no where you can go...


San Francisco, here I come.

Running away from pain when you've been victimised

Tales from another broken home...