A Rock Opera.

She's A Rebel

At six-thirty that nigh, jimmy decided it was time to leave. He reapplied his eyeliner, giving me a sharp look when he heard me laughing.

"What?" he asked indignantly.

"Nothing," I said quickly, holding back a grin. "You put it on so carefully."

He chucked the eyeliner pen at me. "Put it on. Maybe you'll look less like a girl." Grinning, he ran a hand through his hair and gave a sigh of contentment. "I believe I am ready. Let's go." Putting the pen down, I followed him outside into the cool air.

"How far away?" I asked, feeling at peace with myself as I heard the hustle and bustle from the main road not too far away.

"Ten minutes, about," Jimmy replied, crossing the alleyway and making his way onto the main road. Within a few minutes we stopped outside a dingy looking Chinese restaurant. I have Jimmy a confused look.

"We're not getting Chinese, dumbass. Club's over here," he explained, walking to the left side of the restaurant. There was a small set of stairs heading downward. Red lights glowed and loud music thumped from below.

I followed Jimmy down, and came face to face with a tinted glass door. We casually walked inside, where the music loudened and caused my heart to thump against my ribcage.

Jimmy walked over to the bar, ordering two beers.

"Hey Jimmy!"

A girls voice called from across the room. A pretty-looking girl with a shock of dyed red hair sauntered over.

"Ariel," Jimmy said in a mock humble voice, his arms wide. He pulled her close to him and forced his lips upon hers, holding her tightly acround the waist. They stood like that for a split second before Ariel pushed him back forcefully and kicked him in the - well, a place that would have hurt.

"For the last time, Jimmy, fuck off," she said, casually looking at her black fingernails. She noticed me standing next to Jimmy. "And who's this?" she asked, looking at me up and down.

"Ryan. Call him Jesus." Jimmy turned around, still wincing, and picked up his beer.

"Ahh. I'm Ariel."

I nodded. I felt myself checking her out. She wore a long-sleeved stripy black and white shirt, with a dark T-shirt over the top, as well as a black skirt, fishnet stocking and red knee-high boots. Her short red hair was tied in two small pigtails, with a fringe going over the side of her face. Her dark roots were visible - as was the intelligence and attitude deep within her dark emerald eyes.

"So where you from?" she asked, taking a seat at the bar. I sat in between her and Jimmy - although he was now busy chatting up a tall blonde girl.

"Not the city. A town up north. I left home." I took a sip from my beer. "You?"

"My parents kicked me out. I usually sleep here. The manager's pretty nice, except for when he's feeling me up." I gave an awkward smile before looking sideways toward Jimmy. Ariel noticed me looking at him and the girl.

"Thats Jimmy for you," she said suddenly. "He can be arrogant, obnoxious, funny and nice all at once. And he loves his ladies."

I nodded slowly and turned back to face her. She was fiddling with the studded collar around her neck.

"Oh yeah. You make one uncalled for move on me, and you'll know the true meaning of pain." She took a swig from her drink, leaving me at a loss as to what to say.

"Sorry. I just had to know whether you're one of those guys."

"Its OK. I understand." I tried to ignore the talk I was hearing between Jimmy and the girl - it was obviously very private. "I'm guessing you don't go to school?"

"School? Pfft. Most of the time I was there I was smoking crack in the bathrooms. That and graffiting the cubicles. Some bitch dobbed me in, I got expelled and then my parents abandoned me. Of course, there was the time I lit the curtains in my room on fire. That was fun." She smiled reminiscently.

We sat in silence for a little while, listening to the music being played over the speakers. I couldn't help but sit there and watch her. She was so unlike any other girl I had met. She wasn't desperate for a man - on the contrary, she didn't want one at all. She wasn't scared to rebel against the norms of society, to say what she thought. She was straightforward with everything. She was a rebel.

She's the symbol of resistance...

And she was hot. And fun to talk to. Her personality was unique and out there.

And she's holding on my heart like a hand grenade...

It was about midnight when we left. Jimmy was busy with the blonde girl, so I invited Ariel home. She seemed relieved at the fact she didn't have to stay at the club.

Feeling slightly uncomfortable with Jimmy and the blonde girl, I attempted to make conversation. Ariel could see right through it straight away.

"Jesus, just ignore him," she said grinning. "Relax. Jimmy's a manwhore if ever I knew one."

"Nah, its not that..."

"Pfft. Nice try, buddy. Trust me, you might well end up in a threesome with him one night. Relax!" She shook her head, trying not to laugh. When we reached the warehouse, Jimmy and the girl (whose name was Jules, judging by Jimmy's moaning) immediately went into a small room at the back. I never even knew that room existed.

Me and Ariel sat down on the edge of the front doorstep. We talked about random things, mainly. Mostly politics. I was too busy trying to deny the fact that I'd fallen for her.

Ariel: Rebel, man-hater...and the first girl I truly liked.