‹ Prequel: Adjustments

Settled

One

It had been months since ‘the incident’, and Greg was dying on the inside while lying to his friends and father-in-law about Emily, but there we other things on his mind besides Emily, Warrick.

Things had been rocky since Warrick started abusing his prescription drugs, it had escalated fast and there Greg and Nick were, praying to God that Warrick wouldn’t be charged with murder.

Nick sighed heavily before turning to Greg “I wonder what Emily would do…” he muttered.

Greg shrugged his shoulders “Chew out Brass, find something that could free Warrick…” he responded.

“I miss her,” Greg said.

Nick patted Greg’s back “I know, but she’ll be back…I promise.” He said.

Greg looked at his watch and sighed as he slowly got off his chair “I have a plane to catch, if Emily calls…please call me!” he said.

Nick stood up and hugged Greg “I will, good luck with your book!” he said, watching Greg leave the crime lab.

If only the graveyard shift knew what was going to happen later that night.
________________________________________________________________________
After six months, nobody had even thought to call Emily as she laid in bed, her mind was too bothered to sleep tonight.

It was 4:45 in the morning and all Emily could do was worry. Did Greg not care she was ‘missing’? Was Greg cheating on her?

Her worst case scenarios kept piling up until her cell phone vibrated against her night stand.

Emily shot out of bed and answered it “Hello?” she whispered, trying not to disturb Lenni as she slept.

“Where are you?” Nick whispered, sounding as if he was crying.

Emily thought for a moment as she took in a deep breathe, bracing herself “…what happened?” she asked.
________________________________________________________________________
Emily was sitting in the crime lab, the eerie feeling was thick with the news of Warrick Brown’s murder.

It took everything to keep a tear from falling from her pale cheek, Emily left Lenni with Heather, she didn’t think she could manage to be a mother on the side at that point.

Grissom walked by with blood staining his white shirt, she stood up from her seat “Dad?” she yelled.

The man stopped and turned to his daughter, just seeing her frail state made him a little happy, though nothing could bring anybody back up.

Emily reached her father and looked at him in pure show “Oh my god,” she whispered, finally letting her tears go as they feel off her blue eyes.

“I thought—I thought it was a mistake, like it wasn’t him…” Emily tried to get out as her breathing began to stop, she felt like she was having a heart attack.

Grissom reached out for Emily without touching her “You alright?” he whispered.

Emily shook her head “I can’t breathe,” she whispered, slowly falling down to the floor.

“Emily!” Grissom yelled, reaching out for his daughter as Ecklie came running towards them, Emily was holding on to her chest for dear life as she prayed to God to either let the pain go away or to just kill her.

Ecklie looked up at Grissom while holding his daughter, Ecklie nodded “Go to the lab, I’ll take care of her.” She said.
________________________________________________________________________
Emily sat in Grissom’s office with a Diet Coke in her hand and a blanket wrapped around her tightly. She rocked back and forth before looking up to see her better half standing in the doorway.

“Hey.” Greg muttered.

“Hi.” Emily whispered.

Greg examined his wife for a moment “You look like shit.” He muttered.

Emily nodded “Yeah, so do you.” She said.

Greg crossed his arms “So you know?” he asked.

Emily nodded “Yeah.” She said.

Greg nodded back at her “So does this mean you and Lenni are coming home?” he asked.

Emily shook her head “No.” she said.

“Can I convince you?” Greg asked, taking a seat next to his wife.

Emily sighed “I don’t think so.” She said.

Greg cleared his throat “I don’t think Warrick would want this to end in vain…”

Emily began to cry in the middle of the silence, she covered her face from Greg who tried to reach out and touch her but Emily pulled away furiously.

“I don’t want to talk about, Greg…now is not the time!” she said, crossing her arms.

Greg sighed, the silence was filling up the office as they both of them ignored each other.

Grissom walked in moments later, watching the both of them in their silence as he tried to settle everything that was going on in his mind.

“So, what do we do now?” Grissom asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders as she looked at her father “We wait.” She whispered.
________________________________________________________________________
The team stood in Grissom’s office, trying to figure out what everyone was going to do while Warrick’s funereal proceedings went into place.

Sara held onto Emily for all it was worth, the both agreed to help Greg with the funeral.

This seemed like a bad dream for everybody as the three ‘friends’ walked out of Grissom’s office to get ready to put everything together.

Greg cleared his throat, turning to Emily softly whose anger got the best of her for the first time in a long time.

“Okay, you know what, lets just get it off our chests!!” she yelled in the parking lot at Greg who crossed his arms.

Sara watched in shock as Greg and Emily stood their grounds.

“You hit me, you can’t take that back! If you actually CARED about me you would have called my cell phone a million times before just giving up…but you didn’t!” Emily yelled.

Greg was taken aback “Well, I’m sorry, listening to my ‘guy friends’ who told me that you were going to need time!” he argued.

Emily rolled her eyes “They got one thing right…but why didn’t you call after hmm…a month, two months…THREE…if you’re pushing it?” she asked.

“What was I supposed to do? You just disappeared! And out of thin air, WITH my daughter!” Greg yelled.

Emily looked at Greg in the most heinous look either Greg or Sara had ever seen from Emily “….fuck you, Greg.” She said, getting in the car.

Sara looked at Greg in shock “Care to explain?” she asked.

Greg shook his head “Later.” He said, getting in the car.