Status: In Progress

Burning Sea Chronicles: The Scarlett Rogue

One

A sea of fire surrounded the once grand vessel that was the Scarlett Rogue. Eyes burning, tears streaming down my cheeks like rivers cutting through the dirt and grime that has accumulated on my face, I take in the disturbing sight of the battle raging on in front of me. Pain-filled screams and the metallic clash of swords hang heavy in the air, creating a sickening atmosphere. I am frozen, hidden behind a barrel, by both Captain’s orders and sheer terror. The Port Royal Naval Fleet was ransacking our ship, my home, hell bent on destroying every last one of the brave crewmembers of the Scarlett Rogue. The two of the three women of the ship, along with their children, have been taken as prisoners while the men attempt to fight the assailants off. For a moment my heart lifted as I saw my mother and father fighting valiantly alongside one another. My mother looks both graceful and fierce as she fights with an intensity I had never seen of anyone. Within that same moment my heart nearly stops when the face of a Blue appeared in front of me. “My, aren’t you a lovely one,” he grunted, breath fowl, “such a shame I’ll have to kill you.”

He grabbed my arm and violently tugged me towards his filthy body. I spat into his eye and managed to wrestle myself free of his grasp, I retreated in haste and tripped over the body of a fallen crewmember. The man yelped and wiped the spit from his dirty, pig like face. Regaining composure he glared at me with a level of hatred I had never seen. The anger that emanated from this man scared me into hesitation. “You shouldn’t have done that darling,” he sneered, poised to strike.

As he moved to drive his sword though my small frame, the end of another sword pierced through his gut, spattering me with blood. He fell with a horrifying thud and sputtered desperately before falling silent. I looked up to find that the owner of the sword was none other than my beloved James. For the second time this dreadful evening, my heavy heart lifted. The fact that he was still alive overwhelmed me with emotions I didn’t know I was capable of. I collapsed into his arms feeling safe despite the horrors going on all around me. He held me close, giving me strength. “Annaleigh! Listen to me! You need to get out of here!” Captain James yelled over the sounds of cannon fire and screams, “I can’t let you die!”

I stepped back from him shaking slightly. I was trying so hard to suppress all the emotions I was feeling; the anger of not being able to help save my family, the terror of all the death and pain surrounding me, and mostly the heart wrenching sorrow of knowing everyone you knew was dying all around you. “Please just let me help, let me fight!” I finally managed to say, my voice unnaturally shrill, “I can’t sit here and watch everyone die. I can’t watch you die.”

Although I knew he’d never allow me to join the battle I clung to the small hope that he would. He gently held the side of my face and looked me deeply in the eyes. Tears seemed to well in his dark eyes knowing we’d never see each other again. I clasped his hands in mine and kissed them, tears streaming down my face with a renewed force. “Be strong,” he whispered. I nodded, not knowing what to say. After brief moments of silence he turned to return to the fighting. I pulled him back and pressed my lips against his. The heat of the fires all around us was no comparison to the heat of the passion with which we kissed one another. It seemed as if time was momentarily suspended. All sounds melted away leaving us alone and entwined in love. For a moment I forgot where we were and escaped to a paradise within my mind where it was just James and I. No blood, no death, no worries; just the two of us wrapped in passion and love.

A loud crash followed by blood curdling screams brought us back to reality. My moment of peace shredded into wisps of mocking thoughts that faded as reality crept its way back in. I held James close, savoring every last moment with him. He pulled away gently and looked deep into my eyes, “I love you and always will Annaleigh,” he whispered, “Go now! Promise me you’ll be safe! Promise you won’t come back to fight! Promise you will live!”

“I promise James,” I replied solemnly. He turned once again towards his certain death. “I love you James! This isn’t the end! Believe that!” I screamed over the vicious sounds of the carnage. He turned and smiled. That would be the last I would see of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!
Sorry it is so short! Future chapters will be longer!
All feedback is more than welcome!
I would love to hear any suggestions or comments you might have!