On Sleepless Roads, the Sleepless Go

Six

“I guess some things are too good to be true,” Marin sighed as she frosted cupcakes. I had just gotten done recounting the coffee shop fiasco.

“Story of my life. I’m just tired of being alone, you know? If Max can be happy, why can’t I?” I shaped petals for roses I was making for a cake.

“You deserve happiness. God knows you need to get laid,” She sniggered. I picked up a miniature tart tin and chucked it at her.

“It’s not like I’ve been divorced for that long,” I shrugged.

“But you still haven’t gotten any,”

“Going out and meeting people is a lot harder than you’d think. I don’t just have myself to worry about; I also have my son. I can’t just have random guys coming and going from Sasha’s life. It isn’t healthy, for either of us.”

“Wow, mama’s got the blues,”

“Cute,” Marin slammed her fist on the table she was working at, startling me and resulting in me demolishing the delicate, white flower. “What the hell?!”

“I’m taking you out!”

“You know I don’t swing that way,”

“Ha-ha, asshole. I’m not into beaver, but I think just about anyone would agree with me when I say that you’re one hot MILF.”

“Oh, dear God,”

“So it’s settled. I’m taking you to Level.”

“What about Sasha?”

“Leave him with Karen,”

“I can’t ask her to watch him all night,”

“Why the hell not? He’ll be asleep by eight. She’ll just sit around, watching your premium cable and eating your expensive, health-freak, organic food. All of which you pay for, all while she’s getting paid. If she complains for getting paid to do that, then she’s dumb. If I didn’t have this extravagant job frosting cupcakes, I’d watch the little tike for you. I’d watch your t.v. and eat your food,”

“You do watch my t.v. and eat my food,”

“Yeah, but I’d be getting paid to do it,”

+

“I don’t think that this is such a good idea,” I slipped my heels onto my feet and stood up straight.

“I think it’s a wonderful idea! Who knows who you’re gonna meet!” Karen nodded her head, agreeing with Marin.

“I need to find someone to settle down with, not have casual flings with,” I pointed out.

“This is just a start. We’re not trying to find you a groom, just some potential suitors. I’ll stay with you all night, so you have nothing to worry about. Just let loose and have some fun,”

“I’m a single parent. I don’t know the meaning of fun,” I chuckled.

“All the more reason for you to go out tonight,” Marin pulled me towards the door.

“Karen, if you have-”

“Any problems, to call you. I know, now go have fun!” She literally shoved me out of my condo.

“Oh God, I’m going to regret this,”

+

The music was loud as it pumped through the building. Lights strobed and flashed, causing temporary blindness to me as Marin dragged me through hordes of people. I felt people gyrate against me as I squeezed through them. It wasn’t something I was fond of feeling.

Marin and I finally made it to our destination: the bar. It wasn’t as crowded as the dance floor, but there was still a group of people. Marin squeezed herself through, while I waited behind her. She turned around about a minute later with two shot glasses in her hands. I gingerly grabbed one from her and looked down at its contents. The liquid inside the generously sized shot glass was an amber-red color. It didn’t look like anything I had ever drank in my life.

“What is it?” I shouted over the music.

“A cherry bomb! Just drink it, you’ll feel ten times better!” She shouted back to me. I looked at it apprehensively and brought it up to my face. I shrugged, clinked my glass with hers in a ’cheers’ motion, then downed the shot without a second thought. The alcohol burned my throat and I felt sick within a second of taking it. A wave of heat rolled through me, then the sick feeling was gone. Marin took my glass, along with hers and slid them onto the bar. Needless to say, I was a lightweight when it came to drinking.

I wasn’t drunk, but if I didn’t stop soon, I sure would be. Marin handed me drink after drink, until I made it a point that I was at my limit for the night.

The rest of the night flew by in a haze of lights, bodies and music. I seemed to keep myself pretty grounded, but the same couldn’t be said for my partner in crime.

+

Marin was currently hurling her guts up in the guest bathroom. It was the next morning and the only thing I could complain about was the slight pounding behind my eyes. I cradled a cup of steaming hot coffee in my hands, waiting patiently for breakfast to cook on the stove. I flipped the hash browns just as Marin sluggishly walking into the room.

“Ugh, remind me to never do that again,” She grumbled, taking a coffee mug from the cabinet and filling it with coffee, cream and sugar. “God help me,” She breathed out and clenched her eyes shut as she took a seat on a high stool at the breakfast nook. I chuckled as I plated three breakfasts and brought them over to the nook that was placed in the center of the kitchen.

“I told you so,” She looked up at me and glared. “Sasha! Breakfast!” I smirked as I shouted to the living room.

“You’re the devil.”

“You’re the one who went clubbing when you had work the next morning!”

+

“I am going to puke all over these pretty cupcakes.” Marin grumbled.

“Yeah, yeah. Just keep working,” I said with a chuckle as I rolled out pink fondant. The bell to the entrance rang, interrupting our conversation. I wiped my powdered sugar covered hands on my black apron and made my way out to the front. My stomach fluttered as I saw who was waiting. “What are you doing here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
WHO IS IN THE SHOP?! O_O lul.
Anyone want to take a guess?

I'm a giant ass-butt for not getting an update out for you guys in forever. I feel terrible.

Club
Work