When It All Comes Down

Too much love can be too much,

“Did you do the science packet?”

Hayley scowled at Patrick who stood in her way as she tried to go to the cafeteria. This guy was always coming to her when he needed help. “Yes.”

“Can I copy? Please?”

She rolled her eyes. “Is that the only reason why you bother to talk to me? Just for homework?”

“No!” Pat said defensively. Liar.

To her surprise, Allison went up to them then. Hayley hadn’t spoken to either her or Delia in awhile. Heck, she barely spoken to anyone besides Pat, Chris and Lyric.

“Hayley!” Allison’s face lit up. “Come to the bathroom with me?”

“Why do women have to go to the bathroom in packs?” Pat grumbled. “Are you guys going to have some kinky lesbian sex in there or what?” Allison burst out laughing.

Hayley stared at him, wondering how she ever became friends with this guy. “Wow. Is that what you honestly think?"

He winked. “See you!”

She hit him on the arm and Allison pulled her away towards the bathroom. She threw a backward glance at Pat who was already walking away.

When they closed the door behind them, she dropped her backpack on the floor and went off to look at herself at the mirror.

“Don’t you have gym right now?” Hayley asked.

Allison shrugged. “They don’t mind. I don’t feel like running around right now, anyway.” She fixed her hair. Hayley watched her, trying not to think about food.

“Do you like Lyric?” she suddenly asked Hayley.

Hayley twitched. Is that all she wants to talk about? Ever since she could remember, Allison would always talk about boys and nothing else. Other than her bragging about how she had won some race in track.

“Is that it?” Hayley asked impatiently, wanting to eat lunch. She was starving and didn’t want to waste her empty stomach by not eating anything.

“Do you?”

“No, why?”

“I’m thinking about asking him out!”

Hayley paused. Wait, what the hell? What did the bitch say?

“I mean, why not? He’s cute and he’s funny. I think he even likes me too. That’s what Pat says.”

And you can’t always believe Pat.

“I was hoping after school at the library. That’s where you guys usually hang out, right?”

Hayley didn’t say anything but just nod.

Allison looked back at the mirror, smiling to herself and putting on some liquid eyeliner. She started going on about how she had a conversation with Lyric last period but all Hayley didn’t listen. She stood behind her, staring at her in shock, and thought about Allison and Lyric dating. It almost seemed real.

It wasn’t her fault, though. Lyric didtry to kiss her yesterday. It was just that she didn’t want to have a relationship at the moment.

But still…

She began to worry what Lyric’s answer might be. She didn’t want to see them hold hands in the hallways, or snogging near the janitor’s closet. Lyric was her friend, nothing more, nothing less. Simple as that. Ever since two days ago, she had been avoiding him. Lyric could see that. It was obvious that she didn’t want anything to do with him. He had tried to talk to her between classes and after school but she would only smile and walk away without saying much.

Honestly, Hayley didn’t know why she was avoiding him. He hadn’t done anything wrong. She felt it a little weird, perhaps, about it. She waited for Allison to be done and then headed out of the bathroom.

Walking to the cafeteria once again, Allison kept thinking out loud if she should ask him out or not. It was getting on Hayley’s nerves, the way she talked about him. She listened, though, uninterested.

“I mean, we talk a lot. He’s really cute,” she smiled. “You know he snowboards?”

“Yeah, I know.”

“He told me that he can take me snowboarding with him someday.”

“That’s cool.” At this rate, Hayley was beginning to grow very irritated.

“I know, right. Can you see me and him together? Delia says so.”

Hayley shrugged. She couldn't, really. She could only picture Lyric totally listening to his iPod instead of paying attention to Allison.

"Gotta go to gym. See you later!"

Hayley waved without saying anything. She went inside the cafeteria and sat down with Noelle and the others, hoping that they would take her mind off of things.

~+~
Lyric watched as Hayley walked inside Spanish class. He smiled at her and waved. She merely looked over at him then proceeded to sit at her seat. A couple of girls saw him and began to look at each other, wondering what was going on between the two of them.
Being as one of the popular guys in the grade, all the girls favored him. Even if he did not take care of how he looks, without even great effort, he made girls melt.

His heart sank when she didn't acknowledge him. He felt stupid and an idiot for trying to kiss her. What was he thinking? He made things worse for her and it was obvious that she didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore. Another thought suddenly struck him--what if she was a lesbian? Infuriated with himself for thinking such stupid thoughts, he forced himself to listen to Mrs. Moresa. But he couldn't concentrate on conjugating spanish verbs. He bit his lip, drawing on his paper.

Without meaning to, his thoughts consisted of Hayley and nothing else. He thought of the first time he met her, back in September.
Without even realizing it, he was drawing a butterfly.

He was almost done, adding details to the drawing, when Allison came over to him. She was smiling like she always does whenever she's around him.

"What are you drawing?" she asked curiously.

Lyric looked up at her then around. Apparently Mrs. Moresa had let them have a little free time before the bell rang. Everyone was chatting and with their friends. He saw Hayley across the room, immersed with a Harry Potter book.

"Um, nothing," he mumbled, closing his binder but Allison stuck her hand out from closing it all the way.

"Come on," she laughed. "Lemme see."

Without waiting for an answer, she opened it back up and stared in awe at the drawing of a butterfly.

"Whoa! You did this?" she exclaimed. Lyric only nodded.

"This is really good. You should draw me one sometime." She flashed a smile.

"It's a monarch butterfly," Lyric said.

"What?"

"Nevermind."

A few other girls crowded around his desk by then, wanting to see what Allison was so amazed by. Personally, he didn't think it was all that great. The girls only wanted to get into his pants, not see his damn drawing of an insect, he knew. He wasn't surprised.

The bells rang by then and when Lyric got up from his seat, he only caught a glimpse of her light brown hair amongst the other students.

He sighed as he went out to his locker when Allison shown up again. He was already tired of seeing her. She was always cropping up somewhere, giggling and laughing too loud. Of course, it was only to impress him and to get his attention. Things like that don't get his attention, however. Which was why he liked hanging out with Hayley.

"Hey, Lyric, can I ask you something?"

He nodded, knowing exactly where this is going.

She shifted her feet, pretending to be shy as she stood by his locker. Girls looked over at her, sniggering. She finally looked up at him, determined, and said, "Would you consider going out with me?"

Even though he knew it was bound to happen, he was still speechless. This wasn't the first time it happened. He scratched the back of his head and smiled solemnly at the girl.

"You're really nice, Allison, but no, I'm sorry," he said, almost fast.

She looked hurt but shrugged in response. "It's okay." She gave out a small laugh.

Lyric gave her a small, sincere smile. "Sorry, Al. I gotta go." Without waiting for her to say something back, he switched his spanish textbook for his backpack and cellphone and walked to the library. This time, he didn't find Hayley there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, short, short.
But something unexpecting happens next chapter.
I'm going to be making things interesting.