Status: In progress. Kind of.

Fletus Lupus (Crying Wolf).

Sectum Unus -Part One

I screamed as she bit me, sinking her incisors deep into my arm. She laughed, licking at the blood pouring from my multiple wounds. Her crazed eyes met mine for an instant, and I was instantly terrified.
This woman was not human.


I groaned as I woke up, feeling the sweat cooling on my skin. I realized what happened, and sighed. That dream again.
I got out of my bed, flicking my lamp on –it was still dark outside. I perched myself on the edge of my bed, putting my head in my hands. It was always the same dream. Every night, I had the dream, that crazed woman.
That was the night I lost my humanity.
I slid on a red T-shirt and jeans, not bothering with anything else. I opened the door a crack to see if anybody was up –I heard a faint cluttering downstairs in the kitchen –must be Madrai.
I slid through the crack in my door, closing it behind me. I walked down the stairs, and the smell of charcoal hit my nose. Please tell me he was not cooking. Madrai had nearly burnt the house down before trying to cook.
I walked around the corner of the stairwell and across the living room, making my way to the kitchen and then standing in the doorway. It looked like he was trying to make pancakes, but they were deformed and more black than Ben’s hair.
Madrai turned around, a frying pan in his hand, and saw me. He cussed something in Irish, nearly throwing the pan at me. Calming down slightly, he held the pan warningly in my face.
”What have I told you about doing that?” He scolded, his Irish accent filling his voice. I put my hands up in mock surrender.
“Your fault for not checking.” I said in a casual tone. He smiled, then looked back at his attempts at pancakes. He turned around to start throwing the charred mess in the bin.
“So why are you up this early, anywho?” He asked me, trying to hide it but clearly worried.
I looked away, focusing on the fruit bowl on the counter. I fingered the necklace I had in my pocket as I spoke. “I had that dream again, Madrai. I’ve been waking up earlier every night. It’s getting worse.” I sighed. Madrai turned to look at me, a sad and worried look on his face.
“You know that is bad, yes?” He sighed. I nodded, and he went back to cleaning up. There was a long silence before either one of us spoke again.
“I think I might need a psychiatrist soon. It’s going to drive me mad,” I sighed. I heard a thump upstairs –Ben falling out of bed. “Better drop this before he gets down here,” I told Madrai, and he nodded.
Madrai was the only one I talked to about the dreams. None of the others knew.
Ben trudged downstairs, and I walked into the kitchen to help Madrai clean up his mess. He walked around the corner, heading straight for the coffee machine.
“Hey Ben.” I said blankly, and got a mumbled ‘mmph’ in return. He was always like this in the morning –I didn’t know how he managed in winter.
Ben got his coffee, Madrai removed himself from the kitchen while I made pancakes –ones that weren’t burnt- and the others still hadn’t woken up yet.
I liked this life –well, for most of the year, anyway. Every person in this house had a curse –it’s why we were here in the first place. For half the year, none of us are here, lost to the woods that surrounded the house. Every winter, our shapes changed, morphing into something else.
My name is Orexis Ruthann, and I’m part wolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter in a story based on Maggie Stiefvater's 'Wolves of Mercy Falls' series. Not exactly a 'fan-fic', but close enough not to be original. Please comment/subscribe, and tell me what you think. I might discontinue it if it's too bad. I know this chapter's short, but they get much longer as I go. Thanks for reading.