Status: nearly done

Falling For

Inter-house Relationships

I popped my bubble of inter-house contact on a Thursday morning, I believe. Before that day, I had never really spoken to anyone other than the Hufflepuff kids, and possibly just a small spatter of the other houses. Due to the bias standards of Gryffindor and Slytherin's partnerships in everything we did, I honestly had a reason for my inability to socialise.

Growing up being told to stay quiet, I blossomed into a woman doing exactly that. However, I often spoke of books and spells to my apparent best friend named Gwendolyn and her boyfriend, Markus. I was the obligatory third wheel in every relationship; though I wasn't sure they minded all that much due to the excessive hand holding and no saliva exchange.

But to get to the main point, it was a Thursday and I was wearing my Cedric Diggory badge. He had just been chosen for the Triwizard Tournament and him being an older mentor meant I had to support him. Sometimes, when he was not bombarded with the throws of fangirls and boring quidditch boys I would talk to him about the complete brilliance of fresh snow and blooming oleanders. I had a school-girl crush on him, but I knew it would never get far due to that fatuous Chang girl that was always hanging around.

"Your badge doesn't change." A voice called to me as I tried to breeze passed.

I was passing through the halls to change classes and I was interrupted by an older Slytherin. Obviously pointing out the fact that I had taken the charm off of my badge, the older boy had stopped me solid by standing right in front of me. I blinked up at him through my blonde fringe and smiled meekly, attempting to hold eye-contact as to not look completely spineless.

In short, I didn't want to make anyone mad by proclaiming that Potter stunk in badge form. Unfortunately, I ended up offending the Slytherin's by disabling their ridiculous charms.

"I'm sorry." I fought out, realising that it was now or never. "I just thought it was rude and quite childish."

Considering I had set out to make everyone happy, I obviously hadn't figured out how to fix my mouth to those standards. I mean, sure, Harry Potter wasn't all that bad. From what I'd heard, he was the chosen one. You see, my family was pure blood so I had never really been bothered by this blood-line dilemma, and I was glad to hide in the shadows. Slytherins, however, loved the lime-light.

"Potter lover are you, Mignon?" The older boy attacked harshly with his breathless words. My mouth formed a thin line as I was walked backwards towards the side of the corridor, the late spring air filtering in through the open stone windows. "That's a bit traitorous to your lovely Diggory, isn't it?"

"Seeing that Hufflepuff's are incredibly non-biased, I'm sure you will understand that I do enjoy the idea of equality and whole-school-friendship, Pucey." I ended up looking back up at him. He scowled back down at me and I just rolled my eyes. Oh, Adrian Pucey; A down right prat. He was in the charms class right before mine and I had run into him a few times already. More than a few, actually. "So, if you're done being a prick, I would really love to get to astronomy."

Pushing passed him, I slipped out of sight - away from the hissing Slytherin boys, slightly bothered by the full frontal confrontation. Leave it up to those prats to make a girl feel uncomfortable. I think the standards for Slytherin were 'must not wash hair, must hate everything, must enjoy the sound of your own voice'. Ah, thinking about them just makes me so livid.

"If it makes you feel any better," (I was broken out of my mission stride by a very light voice with an accompaniment of footsteps) "I think it was lovely of you fix your badge."

"Nothing like watching a badger take a big bite out of a snake." The second voice chimed in, edging with a grin.

"Thank you." Taken aback, I looked up at the two ginger boys that stood identical to say the least. Chewing the inside of my cheek, I nodded with a half smile and kept walking. I blushed with pride the entire way to class and as I fiddled with my star-map later that day, I sat adored by a new found throb of heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited: 16/07/14