Status: nearly done

Falling For

Third's Death

The third task had come around quickly, and I'm sure that if I had known what was going to happen I would not have even gone. I do sincerely apologise for the state in which this paper is presented to you, for I cannot stop crying. I don't know why, for it has been such a long time since Cedric had lost his life. I just tend to not think about it.

I think one of the major things I remember is being tucked under George's arm, as usual, and taking happy snaps of everyone and everything. I was in my cliche yellow and black and everyone else was in maroon and gold, completely throwing me out but I didn't mind. I was a Hufflepuff, and quite proud to say the least.

The maze in front of us was huge. It spread out across the quidditch pitch and towered over us like giants. Cedric and Harry Potter were standing down at the entrances, talking to their mentors while they fought out their game plans. I could see Amos Diggory chatting to his son sternly before giving him a huge hug, something that warmed my heart because I knew that that family was such a brilliant source. As a child I was often jealous of them due to my 'broken family'.

The horns sounded.

When Cedric entered the maze along with Harry Potter the crowds went absolutely mental. My voice went hoarse within the first five minutes and I'm sure that Fred's went second to mine. Odd, really. Krum went second and Fleur was last and once they were all inside, the giant maze closed up and left us blind.

The band continued to play as we all chatted in anticipation, Fred and George still gracefully taking bets on who would win or lose or who would place where. I even put some money down on Diggory, just to bother George. It obviously did because he refused to let me kiss him before I ended up being a pest and squirmed my way back under his arm.

The first red sparks flew up into the air and everyone went quiet, muttering to each other and staring intently at the maze before Healers raced to a point of the shrubs to fish out a body that was rolling out. We all held our breath in worry that it was Cedric or Harry, hoping that Hogwarts wouldn't let us down against such a fatuous school called Beauxbatons or the mouth-breathing dungeons of Durmstrang.

When the figure was revived and stood up, we all realised it was Fleur and a cheer and sighs of relief flooded the pitch.

"Told you she was useless." George pointed out and I snorted merrily, very pleased that Cedric was still inside. I felt like a broody mother that refused to not love her child, no matter what he did. By that time my little school girl crush had evaporated and it was now just a warm friendship that we shared by the fireplace sometimes if he was having trouble with his tournament duties. I would continually gush about this with myself at night while I was in bed, staring up at the ceiling only stopping to gush otherwise about the red-headed boy that was tangled in my heartstrings.

I raised my camera and took a picture of Fleur being attacked by Healers, usurped by her little sister and covered in blankets that matched her pale French skin. Krum was spat out 10 seconds later as he rolled out onto the fresh kept grass. He was swamped with Healers once more, Fleur sitting completely stoic in her loss while she scowled at everyone and everything that passed her. Another photo was taken.

Swinging around, I snapped a picture of my friends before quirking my eyebrows at their shocked looks.

"Memories!" I pointed out and they brightened; Fred patting me on the head before he swept himself back to his something-or-other Angelina. By that time they were in some sort of limbo as to what to do with each other. It didn't prove to be effective in the long run but it was the thought that counted.

"How many photos do you have now?" Alicia asked while she swatted the bothersome Lee away.

"Half a book full." I grinned. "I really want to document everything that's going on." I added. "It sucks that I didn't get the bloody thing earlier."

"You'd be doing a better job at documenting than that wench Skeeter woman." Fred commented. "Merlin, if I see one more article of hers in the paper I am going to throw myself off of the astronomy tower."

"That's a bit rash, don't you think?" I asked bitterly and he grinned at me, making me grin back no matter how hard I tried not to.

"Weasley's never lie." He held his hand to his heart and I deadpanned him for a moment before snorting and taking a quick photo. And that's how it went for a while, the band still merrily chugging along while we all chattered about Cedric and Harry's race for first place.

It all seemed quite enjoyable as I spent time with my friends; enticed by the bright lights in their eyes, sipping the complimentary butter beer and sneaking soft glances at my love. It was literally all fun and games until there was a loud pop of the arrival of two bodies on the field.

Everyone screamed anyway. Cheers and 'Go Harry!'s all sounded across the pitch and I held my camera up and snapped a picture; Cedric lying on the ground with Harry curled over him. Lowering my camera, I came to the sudden realisation that Cedric was not moving. Harry was hunched over with some sorts of shakes, crying something while teachers and Healers rushed over.

Angelina screamed.

"He's dead!" I could faintly hear over the screams that were dying down. "Voldemort killed him, Cedric's DEAD!"

Dragged away by a teacher, Harry was wrapped in a blanket while Dumbledore checked Cedric's body. Amos fought his way out of the crowd, falling to his hands and knees by his son before leaning back to howl with a sense of loss.

The grip on my camera faltered and it fell to the ground and I felt my vocal cord tug and I let out a small noise before covering my mouth. Cedric was dead. He was dead and I was rigged to the floor below me. Everyone fell silent and the only thing heard was the shrieks of horror and realisation that burnt through my body like fiendfyre.

Cho was two rows below us and she had burst into tears. I had George's shaky arms wrap around me and pull me into him and I choked on my own hands. My eyes pricked and I couldn't speak at all, the dread of the sudden death of my only mentor bursting and splattering dangerously around the fog in my eyes.

And then the warmth spread down my cheeks and I sobbed, turning and falling into his chest while I shuddered with the grief that ripped at my shoulders, tearing off strips and devouring it with macabre haste. My stomach dropped and I couldn't help the sobs now, just shaking with pure shock and feeling my skin prick at the sounds of Amos' shrieks of agony.

The rose in my cheeks withered and the lily on my brow blossomed and I just shut my eyes, trying to fight off the image of my school-girl crush with his eyes empty and his body spread-eagled on the green grass of the quidditch pitch he once loved.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited: 20/07/14