Status: nearly done

Falling For

Package Deals

Walking to dinner with my dorm-mate Florence, I was feeling the pains of an empty stomach. I had slept through everything important that morning and had skipped breakfast to race to potions - as being late was something Snape usually berated everyone for. All was well, however, he didn't even bother taking points because he was far too busy floundering around trying to settle out a Gryffindor boy by the name of Lee.

It was eating at my stomach all day - just knowing I could have at least snagged a piece of toast.

With the hustle and bustle of the students visiting from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, the Hogwarts kids were filtered between the two into a rushed force of students that often clogged the doorways. Florence sighed and grit her teeth, consistently irritated with everything that wasn't simple and clean.

"Mignon." She said curtly, quietly and obviously nettled. "I'm going to go to the bathroom. Want to come?"

I thought about it for a while, then weighed my choices then shook my head. She tutted.

"Wait for me here, then." She scolded, as if I had done something wrong. I evened my eyes at her back and folded my arms, sitting on the ledge of a pillar outside the dining hall - staring blankly at everyone who passed.

"Not wearing your badge today?"

That voice again; velvety with the slightest hint of cheek. I looked up at the twin and smiled.

"No, I left it on my bedside to avoid further confrontation."

When he grinned at me and leant against the pillar, I bit my lip again and looked down at my lap; unfolding my arms to remove the hostility.

"I'm George, by the way." He instantly pardoned himself and I brightened, looking back up. "And you're Mig-Non?"

"Oh." I cleared my throat, attempting to withhold a blush. "It's pronounced 'min-yon'. Like a mignonette flower." I gave a very nervous grin. "It's French."

"Hah, there you go. Never really had an ear for French." He snorted easily, that grin still sitting pretty on his face.

"Neither did I." Shuffling in my seat, I moved a little so he could sit. He didn't, so I just placed my hand there, saving myself with a sentence. "Hence why I'm in black and yellow, not periwinkle blue."

"Oh, oui oui madame." He waved his hand around wildly and I sniffed a laugh, showing a row of teeth to brighten my face. "How come you're not inside?"

"My friend wanted me to wait for her because she needed the bathroom and I wouldn't go. Its punishment for not wanting to spend time with the trolls." Rolling my eyes, I felt him finally sit down beside me. I felt like I had won him over.

"Are we talking about third year here, or are we not happy with the female population?" He blinked appraisingly, causing me to lean forward casually.

"Which ever you like."

He burst out with a genuine laugh and I grinned in triumph, curling my back a little more before stretching. I had no plans to shy away from someone who appreciated my humour.

"But I could ask you the same thing, George."

"You looked lonely." He shrugged and it was suddenly my time to shoot the appraising look.

"So smooth." I soon scoffed and he did the same, and we both stared at each other and I felt instantly connected; as if we were friends. I was very pleased with my self, no doubt about that.

"You're in my Muggle studies class." He pointed out.

"I am." I smiled, looking at my fingers.

"How come we've never talked before now?"

"I'm quiet." I shrugged. "I like good grades and your hilarious pranks are just not my thing."

"We're an odd pair, then." He confirmed and a smile found it's way onto my face - feeling like it had ridden in on a breath of spring air. "I'm sure if you paid more attention to me and Fred rather than Burbage you would be a right laugh."

"I'm sorry for my inability to take your nonsense seriously." I teased and he snorted again. "Where is your twin, by the way?"

"Ah?" He questioned. "Like him more than me?" Apparently it was his turn to tease and I resisted the urge to smack him playfully.

"No, no -- it's just it's odd seeing one without the other."

"Yes, we're a package deal, really."

"Huh, two for the price of one?" I straightened, smile faltering as I saw Florence reappear but feeling the sweet burn of happiness regardless. "All the more fun, then." I turned and looked at him and he stared back. We both smiled suddenly and I stood up. "It was nice talking to you, George." I bid him a goodbye. He grinned and stood beside me, brushing his hands on his thighs before stretching his back.

"I'll see you in Muggle studies, Mignon." He broke out in a horrible French accent that ended up offending some passing Beauxbaton girls.

"Of course." I nipped my top lip with a smile and he sighed, giving me one more fleeting grin before slipping into the crowd. I was joined by Florence immediately - details demanded about my sudden friendship with the cute tall boy. But I stayed quiet, hiding behind mashed potatoes and braised pork; bathing in the thought of a ginger sun and a flower moon.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited: 16/07/14