Status: nearly done

Falling For

First Task

With weeks worth of blossoming friendship under my belt and new cohorts to cavort with, I had ended up standing next to Angelina Johnson in the large stands that over-looked the arena. It was the first challenge of the Triwizard Tournament and that left me in amongst the spatters of Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs. The Ravenclaws and Slytherins were sulking somewhere else it seemed - cut out of all the hustle and bustle of being a winning house.

"So you think Cedric's going first?" Angelina asked, causing me to push my beanie from over my eyes as to look at her gently.

"I hope so." I shrugged, glancing off over the gaping hole of rocks and dark crevices. "I mean, I want Harry to do well too but Cedric's in my house and it'd be odd not to vouch for him." I ended with a frown. She let out a laugh and patted my shoulder; a loving gesture by a friend. I relished the touch of someone I actually felt comfortable with.

"It's okay, we understand. We all want Cedric to do well too."

I smiled and turned back to the front when the cheering started up again. Cedric had been thrown into the arena with a large dragon, collective gasps and worried murmurs breaking through the spring air. Waving off the brush of fingers on my wrist as a friendly jostle from the crowd, I didn't realise George was beside me until Angelina cussed out his twin brother.

"Betting today, Johnson?" Fred cooed almost cheekily. She glared up at him and he threaded her arm with his own, leaning down to whisper something. She slapped him softly with her spare hand and they both grinned, staring forward with eyes glazed with puppy love. I looked up at George in question and he grinned, shrugging lazily without explanation.

"How 'bout you, Min?" He jabbed me gently in the side, not hesitating to let his hands linger against my hips.

"I have no money, sweetheart." I pointed up at him to make a mute point and he made a snap at it with his free hand. I shuffled out of the way with a quiet huff before I bumped into the girl behind me. "But I think it'll go Cedric, Harry, Krum and Fleur if you really want to know."

"I think Harry'll win." He shot back snidely and I poked my tongue out at him, giving him rights to push my beanie back over my eyes. I pushed it back up, irritated. "'nd Fleur'll lose. There's no doubt. Harry, Krum, Cedric and then Fleur."

"Why don't you like Fleur?"

"She's completely useless." He shrugged and I drew in an irritated hiss. "What? I'm just telling the truth."

"It's that French thing, isn't it?" I teased, attempting to look as annoyed as possible.

"Yes," he rolled his eyes at my joke and I burst into smiles. He slung his arm over my shoulder and I buried my head into the concave of his ribs; feeding on the warmth that radiated from his skinny body. "They should stick to their baguettes and frogs legs." He deadpanned and I snickered softly, finding it easier to enjoy myself when he was in my company.

Regardless of the whole 'we're just friends' situation, we took it to the extreme. Sneaking brushes and soft looks whenever we passed each other in the halls brought us even closer to the brink of sexual tension. I knew that one day the camel's back would break but I would take it as it came.

I reached up and grabbed his hand that hung loosely off of my shoulder, the scratch of his sweater comforting my face as I lazily watched as Cedric's beautiful face was kissed by flames.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited: 16/07/14