Stuck in the Moment. Dead at the Scene.

Chapter Twelve

Jamey and I got through the rest of August and September without anymore fights. We have about a week until Halloween. We went costume shopping at the beginning of the month.

Jamey told me she quit using coke and whatever else she was doing, but she's become very paranoid and she still doesn't eat as much as she use to.

"Hey Jamey, did you really quit?" I asked. We were sitting in my room playing around on my drums and guitar.

She rolled her eyes at my question.

"I did..and then I lasted a day.."

"Jamey, you're gonna kill yourself one day."

"Whatever. Can we please talk about something else?"

I sighed, "Fine."

"Thank you. So what are we doing for Halloween?"

"I don't know. I was thinking about checking out Jason's party."

"Oh, I'm going to Alan's."

"Why? He has parties every weekend that you go to, come to Jason's with me, please?"

"I dunno. I mean, Jason is straight-edge so I know there wont be any alcohol or dugs..I'd rather be getting fucked up on Halloween."

"That's why I like the kid."

"You've changed Hadley. You use to be into that stuff."

"Yeah..until I saw what it did to my best friend." I retorted.

"Ugh, whatever. How about I go to Jason's for a little while with you and then we can go to Alan's?"

"Mkay. I suppose that'll work." I replied.

"Good."

The week drug on until it was finally Halloween night. I was at Jamey's house getting ready with her. Jamey had bought a sexy cop costume. She loved it the minute she saw it at the shop. I found a Rag Doll costume. It fit pretty perfect on me. Jamey did her make-up and hair. Then she did mine.

It was almost 8 before we left the house for Jason's. Jason really is straight-edge, but he's a cool kid and I admire that he made his decision.

"Hadley." Jason said as he greeted me at the door. "You look hot."

I laughed, "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself, Peterpan."

"Jamey, you look smoking too."

"Thanks." She replied.

We walked into the house and it was surprisingly packed. I got some punch and handed Jamey a glass too.

"This is boring." Jamey said after being there only thirty minutes. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't think it is." I replied.

"I'm calling Kam to come get me."

"Jamey, you said you'd stay.."

"I'm not having fun though."

"You don't have to drink and get high to have fun."

"You use to say that you did."

"Jamey, I still drink and I occasionally still do smoke pot, but at my house. You do coke and probably Heroine too."

"Shut-up. You have no fucking clue what you're talking about."

She walked outside and I followed her.

"Jamey please." I pleaded.

"No. I'm going to Alan's with or without you. Have "fun"." She said as Kam pulled up and she hopped into the front seat.

"Where is she going?" Jason asked as I walked back onto the porch.

"To Alan's so she can get high and drunk."

"If I recall, you use to be like that." He replied.

I laughed, "I still am, but I don't snort coke and shoot Heroine."

"She does that?"

"Yeah..well, I'm not for sure if she does Heroine, but she does do coke."

"Wow..come back inside and just hang out for a little awhile. Call Jamey later and check on her."

I nodded and followed him back inside.

I had a really great time that night. Jason and I flirted the whole time. He's a really sweet guy and I think I have a tiny crush on him. I had called Jamey about 11 and it went to her voice mail. I just shrugged it off.

"Jason, tonight has been really fun, but it's almost one and I need to get home so my mom doesn't freak."

"Okay, I'll walk you out to your car."

Most of the people had left, but some still lingered.

"So I'll talk to you tomorrow?" He asked.

"Yeah, you will."

He kissed me on the cheek and then I got into my car. I waved as I drove off.

I got home and my mom was waiting on me.

"Hey, I thought you'd be in bed."

She cleared her throat, "I was until I got a call about five minutes ago."

I raised an eyebrow, "What's wrong?"

"Its about Jamey."

When those words left her mouth, my heart jumped up into my mouth.

"Um, it seems she went into Cardiac Arrest at Alan's."

I bit my lip, "She's okay right?.."

Mom didn't say anything for a minute.

"It was to late, Hads. They couldn't revive her."

I choked back sobs and sunk down to the floor.

"This is all my fucking fault. If I had just gotten her to stay at Jason's or at least went with her to Alan's"

Mom sat down next to me on the floor and hugged me.

"What made her go into Cardiac Arrest?" I asked as I calmed down.

"She mixed a bunch of drugs and alcohol together."

"Oh God!"

I cried until I fell asleep.