Stuck in the Moment. Dead at the Scene.

Chapter Twenty-Three

I drove over to Nick's house and there were about five or six different cars in the driveway. Nick was waiting outside and he walked up to me as I got out of the car.

"You got a car for Christmas?" He asked.

"Yep, my other car is back in Georgia and is a piece of crap." I replied. He laughed.

"I'm glad you decided to come over..everyone is driving me insane." He said, "Oh and you look really cute."

I blushed, "Well thank you."

"You're welcome."

I followed him into the house and was immediately attacked by Sophie.

"Hey!" She exclaimed.

"Hi, I seriously think you need to lay off the candy." I said. She shook her head no vigorously.

"You can never have to much candy." She said and I just laughed.

"Lots of people are here." I said.

"Yeah, it's crazy. Most of them are friends of my mom or dad." Nick replied. He started to walk into the kitchen so I followed him.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"Yeah, water is fine." I replied. He got a water and a Red Bull out then handed me the water.

We walked upstairs to his room and I sat down on his bed.

"You drink a lot of water, don't you?"

"Yeah, other than Dr. Pepper and energy drinks." I replied. "That's all thanks to Jamey."

"She was the girl you told me about, right?" Nick asked.

"Yeah, Jamey was my best friend. I met her when I was like four or five. She was like my sister I never had I mean, I'm an only child and I don't think my dad will ever get with anyone else...so yeah."

"How are you doing though?"

I shrugged, "Sometimes, I'm okay...others I'm just not. I didn't go to school for like a week after she died. It was just way too hard." I said.

"I bet."

It was an awkward few minutes after that.

"I want to get a tattoo in her memory. I'm going to talk to my dad about it later."

"That's cool. What are you going to get?" He asked.

"I have no idea." I laughed.

"NICK!! Get down here!!" His mom yelled.

He rolled his eyes, but got up from his seat. I got up and he put his hand on the small of my back. I lightly smiled at the gesture. We walked down the stairs in silence.

"Yeah?" Nick asked her as we got to the kitchen door.

"Do you know where Sophie went?" She asked.

"Nope." Nick replied.

My cell phone rang and I looked at the id. It was my dad.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hadley, you need to come home."

I sighed.

"You can bring Nick if you want too." Dad said.

"Sweet. Hang on." I said to dad.

"Nick, do you want to come to some dinner thing we're having?" I asked him.

"Sure, Mom, can I go?" He asked. She nodded.

I mentally did a happy dance and told dad Nick was coming then hung up.

"We gotta go now." I said to him.

"Okay, can I drive?" He asked. I narrowed my eyes, but nodded.

"You wreck my new car, and I'm going to kick your ass all the way to China, mkay?"

"Okay. Geeze, you just got the car and you're so defensive." He said and poked me in the side. I jumped.

"Yeah, I just got it. Of course I'm defensive. And yes, I am ticklish."

He poked me again. We got to my car and I handed him the keys and then got into the passenger side.

Nick turned on the car and Soulja Boy blasted out of the speakers.

"You like this song?" He asked.

"Yep." I simply replied.

"Just give me directions to your house and we'll be alright." Nick said.

I nodded and showed him where to go.