Stuck in the Moment. Dead at the Scene.

Chapter Fourty-Seven

I hugged my mom bye the next morning. I went home to shower and then drove over to Nick's house. I rang the doorbell and Shannon opened the door.

"Hadley, baby, what's wrong?" She asked.

I bit my lip and let the tears fall.

"NICK! Hadley is here and something is wrong."

I heard Nick come running down the stairs and he scooped me up into his arms. He sat us down on the couch with me in his lap.

"Baby, what's the matter?" He asked.

I let the dam break and my tears flowed freely down my cheeks.

"My...mom." Sniffle "has breast cancer." Sniffle "and she's..."

He looked horrified and kissed my cheek then pulled me closer.

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry. You will get through this. Your whole family will, what about Madison?"

"Maddy is the reason she's not seeking other treatment.it wouldn't help anyway. Its way to advanced."

He put his hand over his face and I could hear him sniffle. I pulled his hand away and saw him crying.

"Why are you crying?" I whispered wiping away his tears.

"Because you're in pain. I know how much your mom means to you even if you two were fighting at one point. I hate seeing you this way. It breaks my heart."

I hugged onto him even tighter if it was possible.

"Thank you."

"For what?" He asked.

I smiled weakly, "Being here for me....loving me. Giving a damn about me."

"That's what I'm here for....and besides, I love you to the moon and back and then some."

I melted like a stick of butter at those words. Even in shitty times, he loved me and could make me feel better well, a little bit in this situation.

He picked me up bridal style and took me to his room. We laid on his bed and cuddled.

"Nick, what am I going to do if I lose her? I mean, Johnny isn't fit to raise a baby by himself."

"I don't know. Would you take her if it came down to it?" He asked.

"Yes," I said without hesitation.

"Talk to your mom about it later on after it all sinks in"

"Would you be okay with it if I got custody of Madison.if I could get it at all?"

"Of course. I promised you I'd be here for you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Hadley, I'm sure. Now get some sleep. I'm sure you need it. You look like a zombie. Do you want something to eat first?"

I bit my lip, but nodded, "Can I have some soup? I don't think I can handle anything else right now."

"Sure. Chicken noodle?"

"Mhmm."

Nick kissed me on the lips and then walked down to the kitchen. Ten minutes later, he had my soup and crackers. My hands were so shaky that I couldn't keep the spoon still so he fed me.

"Thank you," I said as I finished eating. I felt a lot better.

"You're welcome. Now get some sleep," He said. He climbed up next to me and wrapped his arms around me. I fell asleep with my head on his chest, his heartbeat lulling me to sleep.