Stuck in the Moment. Dead at the Scene.

Chapter Fourty-Eight

Those next few weeks flew by like nothing. Mom would get sick and Johnny took care of her. I go and check on her everyday. She goes to both of her doctors every week now. They want to put her in the hospital so they can monitor her better, but she isn't having any of it.

Nick went with me to see her yesterday. He cried. I've never known Nick Simmons to cry, but ever since that day I was at his house, he does it a lot when he's with me if I'm crying. His family was very understanding and loving about the situation. He is so close with his family. I love being a part of that and I love him for sharing his family with me.

Soon it was October 31st, 2008. One year anniversary of Jamey's death and I don't even get to go put flowers on her grave. Mom was put into the hospital yesterday because they are taking Madison early. Mom is getting worse.

I was currently curled up in the recliner in the living room watching Sponge bob. I was waiting on dad to come downstairs so we could leave. I look like shit. I'm in sweatpants and my 2008 signature shirt. My hair is a mess and my make-up is running down my face. Nick walked in the door right as dad walked downstairs.

"Baby," Nick said pulling me up.

"I hate this day. Not only is it because of Jamey's death, but Madison is going to be born today and I might lose my mom."

"Everything will be okay," He said wiping my face off. Dad handed him a wet washcloth and he got off all of my runny makeup.

I wish I could believe that everything will be okay, but I know it won't.

We walked out of the house and I got into Nick's car. Dad was driving mine.

We got to the hospital and everyone was in the waiting room.

We waited around until they got mom ready for the surgery. I was going to be able to go watch them do it along with Johnny of course. It was at my mom's request that I be in there. We had discussed the whole Maddy thing. Johnny was going to be her legal guardian, but if something happens to him or he can't take care of her anymore, then I'm the sole guardian.

I walked into the room with the scrubs on and I watched them cut my mom open. Ten minutes later, Madison Renee King was born at 3:55 pm on October 31st, 2008. She was so beautiful. I held her before anyone else got to.

A few hours later, mom was back in her room with Madison in her weak arms. Johnny was helping her. I still thought he was an asshole, but I know he loves my mother and I love him for that.

"She's so beautiful," Dad said. All of us agreed and she got passed around the room until she got to me. Nick was beside me. As I held her, I felt a peace come over me. It was like Jamey was standing right there with us..or that I was staring right back at her. I knew that even if my mom died, we would be okay. Her and Jamey would be watching over us. I wasn't okay with letting her go so soon, but you can't change fate.