Status: Stress.

Who Would've Known?

Chapter 6- Bad Dream

"Lori."

I found myself wandering in a dark abyss holding onto the fingers of a familiar, yet foreign voice. I looked down at the free hand at my side to find that they were half the size as they usually were. I touched my shirt, and saw that I was wearing a dirty blue and yellow shirt with a faded picture of Buzz Lightyear. My eyes shifted to my small hand that was clinging onto a single long finger and dragged my eyes up the arm and to the face of the stranger. A copper-skinned woman with faded facial features and disheveled hair smiled weakly at me then continued looking ahead. We were walking toward a large white house.

"Lori?"

I heard a male voice ringing through my ears.

I tried to call back, but my lips wouldn't budge. It was as if my mouth never had the ability to move. When we reached the porch she knelt down and fixed my shirt and hair as best she could, while avoiding eye contact.

The colossal door to the house swung open and there stood an ivory-skinned couple cowering over me.

"Mary! John!" I screamed in delight. But it all only came out in gibberish.

I reached up to my mouth and covered it in shock.

"How old is she?" Mary softly asked kneeling down to hold my hand.

"2 years old." The woman beside me whispered.

I lifted my hands to Mary's face to touch her features.

She's so young.

Her hair was more vibrant than ever. Her eyes had no dark circles under them from baking sessions through the night.

John kneeled down beside Mary and took my free hand. I wrapped my hand around his thumb and softly smiled.

Warmth was invading my body, until I felt a shadow fade beside me. I turned my head to see where the stranger went.

"Lori!"

It was that voice again. It was echoing with a more desperate tone.

I stared at the silhouette of the woman who held my hand earlier. Tears started to drip from my eyes, as I reached my arm out to the silhouette hoping that she would allow me to hold her finger again. The silhouette slowly turned its head and faded into the rain that was starting to pour. The rain started pouring harder and harder. Colder and colder with every minute. Finally, a final pour seemed to knock me down on my back.

I gasped for air wiping the excess water off of my face and smoothing my hair back furiously.

'Lori! Seriously. It takes 4 bottles of water and a whole ice bucket to wake you up?"

It was just a dream. Thank God.

Ross threw a towel beside me.

"You need to hurry up and get ready. You have an audition today remember?"

"Oh. Right." I quietly replied. I slipped out of my bed with the towel in hand.

I reached into my backpack and pulled out a red v-neck, dark jeans and some underwear.

I placed the clothes on the counter in the bathroom and started the water.

I sat down in the bathtub slumping forward as my bare body was being immersed in warm water. I washed my hair and body, then slowly stepped out and dried myself off. I slipped into my cold clothing and stepped out of the bathroom with a towel covering my head. Ross was on his bed watching TV. He was already dressed.

"You good?" he asked.

"I think so." I replied without looking at him. "I'm hungry Ross."

"Alright." He said jumping off of his bed, and grabbing his keys and wallet off of the dresser the TV was on. "Let's go."