My Only Sunshine

Small Talk

Because of Matt, every morning I woke up with a smile on my face. And that's because I knew I was going to see him.

{xxx}

EEERK the stairs creaked as I took a step. "Stupid stairs." I muttered under my breath. This house was too old... and I hated it. But a smile still managed to be on my face; it hadn't disappeared since the day before when I came home... after I met Matt.

I hardly slept either... I kept thinking about all of the things that could happen today, and my mind was just racing. Normally, I don't get this excited or hopeful and happy over people... but for some reason, I did... he just seemed different. He was the first person that actually talked to me in this beach town.

Finally, I reached the bottom of the stairs, and I didn't wake anyone up... it made me feel accomplished. Almost inaudible laughs escaped my throat... and I didn't know why. Damn was I in a good mood... I hadn't been this happy since I was eight.

When I got inside of the kitchen I saw that my mother, and asshole were already up. I cursed under my breath. My moms eyes peered over the coffee cup she was drinking out of. "Morning," She murmured.

"Hi," was all I said. Then, I got a bowl from out of the cabinet, a spoon from the drawer, milk from the refrigerator, and Coco Pebbles from on top of the fridge. I sat down at the head of the table, opposite of my mom and we locked eyes for a brief moment... awkward eye-contact is an understatement.

"What are you all smiling about?" She asked.

I shrugged, "I'm just in a good mood... I did turn sixteen yesterday, after all."

"Oh, okay." Well that was a conversation to remember.

I sat in my chair, Indian-style and ate in silence. Asshole said my name, so I looked up at him from underneath the hair in my eyes. "What?" I demanded.

I heard him groan. "If you'd listen I wouldn't have to repeat myself..." He muttered, I smirked. "I said: Will you help me set up outside."

"No," I said before talking my last bite of Coco Pebbles.

He scoffed at my answer. "Oh, really? How come? Have to go see your friend?" His words were drenched with sarcasm.

That only made my smirk widen. "Yes, actually. If it was any of your business," my words spat back at him as I got up to put my dishes into the sink.

He laughed. "Since when do you have friends?"

"John!" My mom hissed, "Leave my child alone." Finally, she stood up for me. She hadn't in weeks... probably because she was still pissed that he made us move here... honestly, I don't know why she let him. "Kenny, who are you going out with?" Kenny the name sounded like a mistake coming from her mouth... she hadn't called my that since my father passed...

"Out... with a new friend I made."

"Oh... when are you leaving?" Her tone sounded shaken, and nervous. What was with the sudden interest?

"Uh, I'm not really sure when and what we're doing..."

"Probably because he's pulling a joke..." John muttered, which received a smack from me.

"Shut your mouth, asshole. No one asked you anything." I warned.

Mom ignored that and went on with her questions. "When did you met?"

"Yesterday," Okay, now she was scaring me... she never cared this much.

She nodded, "Okay, be careful."

I nodded too then I headed up stairs.. those question were so not like her... I just shrugged them off and went to go get ready.

-xx-

A car horn echoed from outside, I finished up my mascara, then looked out the window. Matt was outside in his car... and the smile that was on my face, was bigger than ever... my faith was right; he actually showed up.

I ran out of the house screaming 'Bye.' to my mom and John, then I slowed down my pace and walked slower, my heart beating quickly... I took a deep breath; I needed to relax... but he was my first friend in a long time... and I wasn't really sure how to act.

Matt smiled and wave when I got closer, and I returned the gesture. I pulled the car door open, then got inside. "Hi," I said with a smile.

"Hey," he smiled back. "What do you wanna do?"

I don't care just spend some time with me and be real... and a real friend... "I'm up for anything."

"Well... that doesn't give me much to choose from..." He joked.

"Well. you pick what we do then... I am new here after all," I joked back.

He laughed, "Okay, okay...." He paused and thought for a second. "I know exactly where we can go." He pulled out of my drive way and we drove down the road in silence for a while... well I guess this wasn't how I imaged it.... fantasies are better than reality....

"So." he broke the silence.

"Soo..."

"Hows life?" He asked.

I laughed. "Well... okay."

"Why just okay?"

I shrugged. I knew exactly why... but I didn't want to say anything. "It's just okay... you?"

"Pretty freakin' good." He said... all smiles. His smile was genuine.. I noticed that he had the cutest dimples, I smiled.

"Okay, why is it 'pretty freaking sweet?'"

He looked over to me from the road and smiled. "Because I made a pretty fucking awesome friend." Okay, so maybe that made my smile ear to ear.

"Aww, thanks Matt." I wanted to hug him, but I didn't: one, I didn't want to come on too strong, AND, he was driving... so there were two solid reasons.... even though he looked so hug-able... Wait, whoa what? Did I just think a guy was hug-able? What the fuck is wrong with me? I coughed to interrupt my own thoughts. "You're a pretty fucking awesome friend too...." so far... and hopefully you stay this way... I added mentally.

Matt's smile grew wider as well, then he put his arm around my shoulder, squeeze me then released me. "Was that your version of a hug?"

He chuckled. "It was, actually." I laughed too, "Close your eyes." I heard Matt say.

"Can I ask why?"

"Nope sorry, just close them." He laughed a little at my reaction. But I closed my eyes, I felt the car park from underneath us, then I heard Matt's car door open and close. A thousand thoughts raced through my mind... what was he doing? After a few seconds, I heard my car door open, I was about to open my eyes. "Keep em closed!!"

I sighed, then Matt helped me get out of the car. I could feel him standing behind me, and then he placed his hands over my eyes an started to lead me some where. "Where are we going?" I was getting really impatient.

"You'll see."

We stopped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I'm sleepy. thats all for this chapter!
Sorry to leave you hanging haha :P
thanks too all of the subbers! please comment :D