My Only Sunshine

Late Night Drive

For the rest of the night, Matt and I just drove around, silence between the two of us, but with the melodies of Dream Theater humming over the radio, it seemed peaceful. Occasionally, he’d glance my way and smile lightly, reminding me he was there. I’d smile in return, and that was how most of our interactions went for the rest of the time. When we finally pulled into my driveway, late that night. I unbuckled my seatbelt and went to exit the car, when Matt lightly touched my hand. I glanced in his directions and waited for an explanation for a moment, but he just sighed.

“Kendra, it’s kind of hard for me to say this…” He stopped and rubbed his face.

My eyes just dropped. A million thoughts ran through my head at once, but the one that dominated my thoughts was: ‘Oh my god he doesn’t like me.’ I glanced back up at him when I saw his jaw open again in my peripheral vision.

He rubbed the back of his head, then made eye contact with me. “I’m not really good at talking about my feelings. Well, actually, I’m terrible at it. But here goes nothing. I’ve had a lot of girlfriends in the past well okay not a lot, I don’t want you to think I’m a manwhore because I’m really not honestly.” I cut him off accidently by laughing. His blabbering was adorable. He tried to smile, then sighed, “I don’t know. Kendra, what I’m trying to say is what I felt for those other girls doesn’t even compare to how I feel about you. My eyes widened and I felt my heart flutter in my chest.

“Wait. Really?” I thought my heart was going to explode of of my chest. He just nodded and smiled at me. Something just overcame me, and I leaned into him, and kissed him hard on the lips. He moaned quietly into my mouth in surprise, then he grabbed the sides of my face, and kissed me roughly, his tongue slipping in and out of my mouth, causing me to melt into him. I returned the gesture, and he tried not to moan. I pulled away ever so slightly because I began giggling at him. He just held my face in his hands, our foreheads pressed together, and chuckled to himself for a moment. Once that moment ended, his face became serious again, and he gazed into my eyes. “Kendra, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen,” He whispered softly. I felt my cheeks burn bright pink, and he just smiled brightly, dimples showing.

“I really like you too, Matt,” I whispered to him. “I’m so glad that I needed a cigarette that day,” I joked.

He laughed, “Yeah, me too.” He stroked the the bottom of my hair. Things remained still for a moment, and peacefulness set in. Until Matt’s phone began violent vibrating in the cup holder that sat in between the both of us. Matt sighed, pulled away from me, then reached for his phone and pressed the ‘TALK” button. “Hello?” he answered. I rested against the seat and rested my eyes while he spoke. After a few moments of back and forth between Matt and whoever he was on the phone with, he finally hung up, and shook me away from my catnap. “Kenny,” he cooed at me. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes, and hummed a ‘Hmm?’ causing Matt to chuckle. “I didn’t mean to wake you, darlin’. But I have to go home now, my mom wants my help cleaning up the house.” I nodded at him, frowning. “Don’t give me that look,” he teased. “I’ll be here to pick you up in the morning. I promise.” He kissed my forehead.

I smiled at him, “Goodnight Matt. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight Kenny, sleep tight.” He winked at me, then pulled me in for one last kiss. I exited his car, then walked up the driveway, turned around, and waved to him. He waved back, then backed out of my driveway, and drove off into the night. I dropped to the ground, and sighed happily. I’m so glad that I met Matt.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been two years, and I was completely incapable of updating. Thanks Dream Theater for giving me inspiration to write again. This chapter is just to catch myself up tbh. Enjoy!