Status: Completed

Come Down With Love

Submarine Warfare

“Do you love Cameron?” Zach asked me again.

I couldn’t dodge it now. “No… Not yet,” I mumbled. “But I’m falling for him.”

He nodded. “He’s lucky.”

“I’m lucky,” I said smiling sheepishly. I picked apart another piece of the soft pretzel and drove it into my mouth.

Zach scooted forward, took my hand, and faced it so my palm was to the sky. He carried on, drawing circles with his pointer finger. We stayed silent. I quietly chewed on a small piece of the pretzel. There was only an inch or two left for Zach.

I rested my head on my knee and watched Zach’s face for a moment. I couldn’t believe how perfect he looked. He was just too darn perfect. He didn’t even notice me memorized by his being. Zach continued to draw circles, so focused. I saw him notice a freckle on my wrist.

I closed my eyes as the heat hit my neck and my bare back. Oh crap, I thought. I forgot sunscreen. I didn’t have any with me either. Right when I was about to tell Zach we should go buy some at a gift shop or something I noticed a change in his drawing. He had moved his finger to my freckle on my wrist and started to write something, tickling my skin. I couldn’t even deny the sparks I felt as he touched me.

He drew a line below the freckle. I didn’t open my eyes but I knew it was below it, just by sense—by heart. Next he had some space and began to go further onto my arm. He held my hand gently, caressing my index finger with his free hand. I felt the whisper of an “L” on my arm. Then an “O”. Next a “V”. Last an “E”. He formed the word “LOVE”. I could tell he glanced up to look at me even with my eyes closed. He stared for a moment then looked back down, traveling more a ways across my arm. He finished by writing “YOU”.

“I love you, too Zach,” I sighed against the summer breeze.

He smiled as I opened my eyes. Then he set my hand on his knee as he leaned forward and kissed my cheek slowly. I froze. For a second I thought he was actually going to kiss my lips! But then… Oh, no. Zach, no. His lips traveled to my jaw line and I let out a harsh breath of air. I wanted him to kiss me but this action was ruining everything.

My heart began to beat a thousand times a minute as he carried on kissing my skin intimately. No. No. Nonono.

“Stop,” I said quietly as he moved his lips next to my mine, so close to kissing them.

He stopped, realizing his mistake. “I’m so sorry,” He breathed against my skin as tears welled into my eyes.

I let a sob escape as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me onto his lap.

“Oh, Audrey,” He murmured to my neck running his fingers through my damp hair, his hands resting on my bare back, right above my swimsuit bottoms.

Didn’t he realize this was just too damn much? Through my tears I clenched my teeth. “Get off of me, Zach.” My tone was mean.

“Please, don’t be mad. I’m so sorry Aud. I love you. I…”

“Why the fuck now!?” I said pushing against his chest, struggling to get out of his lap. He let me go, his face hurt. I had never cursed at him before. Or even shouted. I never even cursed to begin with. This just wasn’t me.

“I… I—“ He couldn’t form any words.

“I’m falling for Cameron, Zach!”

“I know, Aud…”

“You just hurt me. You just hurt Cameron. And you just hurt Sophia, your girlfriend for God sakes.” I threw my hands in the air. “You just hurt yourself.”

“And I’ve loved you for two years now! I’ve waited. You know how you treated me, too! You totally lead me on, Zach! Do you realize this?!” I didn’t let him answer. “I’ve been head over heels for you since the seventh grade! It’s never changed. Why the fuck did you have to make it so damn complicated?!”

I let out another sob as my bangs entered my face. I ran my fingers through my hair, moving them away and buried my head in my hands, crying my long blond hair cascading around me. I felt so guilty. I felt so hurt. I was so scared for Cameron. Oh God, I’m so sorry. How would I even tell him…?

“Audrey, please. I don’t know how to fix my mistake… What can I do?”

I shot my head up and wiped my tears. “Figure it out on your own,” I spat, tears still coming, causing my eyes to shine sadness as I rose from the lawn chair, storming out of the cove.
I was pretty sure I saw tears rolling down Zach’s cheeks as I left him.

Image

I couldn’t just go back to the bus an hour early. The boys could be awake and question why Cameron wasn’t with me. Also they would wonder why I looked like utter crap (crying always did that to me). And I just didn’t want to face Cameron. So I went to a Dip and Dots ice cream stand.

“Medium chocolate,” I said to the boy working at the stand.

“Coming right up,” He said to me smiling. He had shaggy blond hair and bright emerald eyes, like Cameron’s.

“Thank you,” I said as he handed the ice cream to me, chilling my fingertips.

“Hey,” The boy said right as I started to walk away. “Are you okay?”

I turned to face him. “No. But I will be.”

He nodded and I waved, wandering through the park. How would I kill some time?