Status: Completed

Come Down With Love

A Different Side of Me

As I drove home, I thought about what Nathan said. We want you to be one of the dancers. Of course, what a great opportunity to tour with a really popular and rising-to- fame band. But with Zach, the boy I was in love with…? It didn’t seem like a good idea. I mean, if he loved me back, sure. But that’s not the case, so…

Also it was for the whole summer. I didn’t know if I wanted to be away from my family, away for my home for that long. But the perks? Money, a great opportunity, more experience with dance, and more. The list could go on and on. But still I was unsure. I decided that this would be the right time to call Zoey.

“Hey,” she said this time answering on the first ring.

“Hi,” I said. “Guess what?”

“What?”

“I said guess.”

“Just tell me.” Impatient, I thought.

“Okay. So after work I ran into Nathan.”

“And?”

“And he said that their manager wants backup dancers for some of their more poppy songs while they’re on tour.”

“Poppy?”

“Yes, poppy.”

“And they want you to be a dancer?”

“You got it.”

“For how long?”

“The rest of the summer.”

“Wow,” she said.

“What should I do?”

“Did you list the pros and cons?”

“Yep.”

“Well, I dunno. I guess it’s really your decision. Would your mom even let you?”

I thought about it. Well, we needed the money. Ever since my mom and dad divorced money was low and she was always working more hours at the hospital. She couldn’t pay for my college and my dad was nowhere to be found. He hadn’t called me in a year and a half. It’s not like I could call him. I didn’t even know if he had a phone.

“I think so. How else would I pay for college? Working at Lisi’s isn’t enough.”

“You could always try getting a scholarship.”

“Well this would increase my chances.”

“But Zach. Are you sure you could do it?”

“I honestly don’t know.”

“Maybe you should talk to him. You’re going to have to eventually.”

“I know.”

“Call him now.”

“Fine, bye.”

“See you later, alligator.”

I rolled my eyes smiling and hung up then quickly dialing Zach’s number. He also answered on the first ring.

“Aud,” he sighed with relief.

“Zach.”

“I thought you’d never call. You know I’ve texted you like twenty times?”

“Sorry. I haven’t checked my texts. I just left from work.”

“Oh. Nathan told me he ran into you.”

“He did.”

“And he told you.”

“Yes.”

“Have you decided?”

“No,” I mumbled.

“I really want you to. It’d be amazing to have my best friend on tour with me.”

I smiled. But I want to be more than your best friend. It’s so hard when you don’t feel the same way. But I didn’t say anything.

“Think about it?” He asked.

“Yeah,” I sighed as I pulled in my driveway. “I got to go. I just got home.”
“Okay. Call me tomorrow.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Love you best friend.”

I shut my eyes, it being painful to say it back just as friends. “Love you too.”