Status: updating.

All can change in the blink of an eye.

One.

Kathy ran out of the cinema with Matt’s hand entwined with hers. They were laughing their heads off and were trying their best not to fall over on the slippery snow. The snow was falling delicately into Kathy and Matt’s hair and Matt wrapped his arms around Kathy’s waist and pulled her gently to him. He placed his lips gently on hers and the kiss was soft and sweet. They smile at each other and Kathy intertwines her fingers with Matt’s. The carefully make their way to the pick-up truck and slid in to the cold cab. Matt spins the dial for the heater and hot air blasts out of the vents. Matt puts his arm around Kathy’s shoulders and she tucks herself in to his armpit.

They smile at each other and warm their frozen fingers. Matt starts the car and the radio comes on. It’s Kathy’s favourite song so she dances and sings happily in the car. Matt smiles happily at his girlfriend. They turn out of the cinema car-park and drive to the deserted road that leads to their houses, which are old Victorian houses packed together. The road is old and worn and trees surround them. The song ends and another comes on, not their favourite, but good. Matt kept his eyes on Kathy, which he shouldn’t be doing, as he was driving, but he didn’t care. He loved her. Kathy stared back with her bright green eyes and smiled. Matt was gorgeous, with dark blue eyes and dark brown wavy hair. Matt paying attention to Kathy meant he didn’t see the dark brown dear run in front of the car. Matt moves his eyes away from Kathy and to the dear.

He slams his foot on the brake, but he doesn’t do it in time. They hit the deer and swerve out of control. They slam into an old oak and the bonnet goes up in flames. Kathy looks at Matt and sees a trickle of blood flowing from his mouth and a massive cut on his forehead. Kathy started to breathe quickly and looked around, the car was a wreck. In the back of her mind she thought how angry Matt’s dad was going to be when he found out about the truck. She looked down and saw loads of scratches on her arms and a massive gash down her side. The car was curved round the tree in a deadly embrace and the flames were spreading round to the seats. Kathy was burning, the heat was intense and the smoke clouding around her. She couldn’t breathe. She screamed and forgot to breathe. It didn’t make much difference because the smoke was getting thicker. Making its way into her lungs and choking her.

She looked right to the handle and touched it, it singed her hand, and it was white hot. No way of escape. She closed her eyes, willing to give up and darkness swallowed her. Consuming her and leaving her body undefended.
♠ ♠ ♠
short, I know
but there will be more
No silent readers