Status: Please TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! right now, i actually don't know howi feel about the past several chapters so i might just delete them and restart... what do all of you think?

The Girl Who Couldn't Feel

Chapter 39: All Good Things Come to an End

As I woke up, I literally shot upward. I looked at the time. I was already late to school and Jaden was gone. There was a note along with some medicine that he told me to take. He also wrote that I should just stay at home, but after sleeping for 12 hours I wasn’t that tired anymore. At the bottom of the note he told me not to worry about Tammy, but that only made me more curious. School would be over soon anyways, so going for a couple hours wouldn’t be that bad. I quickly got ready and ran out the door, hoping that I would be able to catch Tammy at lunch and also see how Jaden had ‘dealt with’ the whole situation with Tammy.

I ran halfway, but then walked the rest, afraid I might tire myself out. By the time I reached the school, lunch had only just started. Before, I could even find Tammy I ran into Kelly and immediately began glaring and she glared back.

After sighing, she began speaking. “I can’t BELIEVE you went and freaking told Jaden.” She growled but then composed herself. “I won’t apologize, but I’ll leave Tammy alone. This is the last conversation I’ll have with you. After this, as promised, I will never try to harm you or associate with you in any way. Goodbye.” She said as she turned around to walk away.

“Wait! What did Jaden do?” I asked, curious how he managed to change her behavior so quickly.

“HA. HA. Your hilarious.” She said sarcastically as she walked back to me till she was a foot away. “You knew that his dad is way richer than mine. Jaden’s the heir to a giant company. He threatened my dad. All because of YOU.” She said angrily as she pushed me, which hurt a lot more than expected because one of my shoulders was still sore.

“What are you doing, Kelly?” I heard someone say from behind me, but I already knew who it was. Jaden.

“Nothing.” Kelly smiled as she let go. “Just saying goodbye. Bye Marie.” She said maliciously as she waved and walked away.

I was still shocked about what she had said… Jaden was… rich? Then what was he doing here? I didn’t understand.

“Glad you’re looking better, but you should have stayed home like a good girl, Princess.” Jaden said teasingly.

“I’m not some little kid.” I muttered. “But… thanks.” I said with a huge smile. Suddenly he patted my head.

“I promised I would take care of it, didn’t I?” He smiled.

“Yeah. I didn’t think you would be able to… deal with it so easily. Why didn’t you just do that earlier?” I looked at him already suspicious.

“I thought I’d wait till you asked. I didn’t want you to yell at me afterwards for meddling.” He smiled, but I understood what he hadn’t said. He only waited so he could hear me ask him for help personally.

“Oh, I see. Thanks I guess.” I smiled trying to control myself so I wouldn’t glare at him and muttering that he didn’t have to wait so long if he could have ended it sooner. But, I did owe him so I tried to be decently polite.

“You don’t have to smile if you don’t want to.” He said, laughing at my smile for the SECOND time.

I laughed sarcastically. “I’m surprised you, of all people, are saying that.”

“What?” He said, actually surprised.

“Honestly, you think I’d believe that you just always feel like smiling?”

His smile fell for a minute but then it came back. “I always do when I’m around you, Princess.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, okay. Whatever…” I sighed but when I glanced at him he wasn’t smiling. I blurted my thoughts out loud without thinking. “You don’t have to smile if you don’t want to.” I mumbled. I closed my eyes as I internally yelled at myself for letting that slip. When I looked at him he was laughing softly.

“Alright.” He smiled and I just looked away. “No, seriously, no one’s ever told me that before…”

“Well, I might as well check on Tammy. I’ll go home after that.” I smiled, changing the topic quickly.

“No, you won’t.” Jaden laughed.

“No. I won’t.” I smiled as I waved. “See you later.”

“Wait, Princess.”

“Don’t call me that.” I grumbled, but I was surprised that it didn’t bug me as it did before…

“ You know, you owe me now, right?” Jaden smiled and as I looked at him I suddenly felt tense.

“I… guess…” I said trying to keep smiling.

“Well, I’ll be collecting that on Friday.” He smiled. “Tammy will be joining us as well.”

“Where?”

“…You’ll see.” He said, but his smile dropped for a second. I was suddenly a bit worried…

---------------------------------------------------------------

The next couple of days passed really quickly, and by Friday, Jaden still didn’t say anything so I assumed he forgot. As we were walking home after school, though, he finally talked about it.

“Tammy, have you cleared things with your parents?” He asked her as we walked home.

“Yep, I’m all set. I already packed things for Marie too. Are we leaving right now?”

“Yep, a car will be here in a couple minutes.” He smiled.

“Hey, what are you guys talking about?” I asked, feeling a bit ignored.

“Well, I actually need your help in something. Will you help me?” He had a huge grin on his face, since he knew I had to agree.

“Yeah… I guess.” I mumbled.

“Good. Then, we are going on a little trip. My family is holding this annual ball that is always held at our summer house. I have to come with someone, so I thought maybe you could come with me. Tammy also volunteered to come, so we’ll be going together.” He said as we reached Tammy’s house.

“I’ll go get the things.” She smiled as she ran inside, leaving me alone with Jaden.

The problem with Jaden was that I didn’t know how I felt about him. I wanted him to be afraid of me, but I was happy he wasn’t. I wanted him to stay away, but I was grateful he helped me out. Maybe I could talk to him after this trip thing was over… Maybe then. I didn’t know why I was delaying it. Maybe I actually liked having a friend like him. He was… different. In a good way. I glanced at Jaden but he was just staring straight ahead with a straight face. In fact, his eyes actually looked dark and he looked much colder.

“Jaden?” I said, curiously.

“Hmm?” He said as he snapped out of whatever he was thinking about. He turned to me and smiled. “Did you say something?”

Before I could speak, Tammy came running back out with carrying two backpacks, which were apparently our luggage. As she reached us a black SUV pulled up next to us.

“Wait are you guys serious?” I said surprised. For some reason I hadn’t actually believed them this whole time. “This is crazy.” I said as I looked at the two of them.

“Just get in Marie.” Tammy said as she smiled and rolled her eyes and pushed me in.

“WAIT! What the- . We can’t just leave?”

“Why not?” Tammy asked as she got in and Jaden got into the front seat.

“Well… what about MY family?”

“Already talked to them.” Tammy smiled proudly. “Anyways you should probably relax, we have to board a plane soon.”

“What?” My head was spinning.

“Here,” Jaden smiled at me as he handed Tammy something.

“Thanks,” Tammy smiled. “Sorry Marie.” She said and before I could ask she put a pill in my mouth and covered my mouth and held my nose shut. I swallowed the pill and pushed her away.

“WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?” I yelled as I pushed her away.

“Well, it’s not like you would have taken it otherwise… It’s not my fault you don’t like swallowing pills.” She smiled as I glared. I hated swallowing pills. “Don’t worry. It’ll just help you fall asleep. You should get drowsy pretty soon.”

“You think that would make me feel better? Why the hell did you drug me…” I muttered. “I’m dreaming aren’t I… Nothing makes sense.”

“We were only going to give it to you if you started freaking out.” She said calmly. “This will be FUN Marie. Don’t ruin it. Plus, we needed to get away… Things have been really crazy this year…” She muttered, but there was something she was hiding.

“She’s lying you know. Not very trustworthy…” Bunny giggled. She was sitting between me and Tammy.

I knew was, but I also knew she wouldn’t tell me even if I asked, so I didn’t. “So, I fell asleep that quickly, huh?” I smiled at the little girl.

Bunny smiled and then the car faded away. “It’s nice to see you again, Monkey.” She giggled. “Don’t worry, this time I’ here to warn you.”

“Really?” I laughed. Yeah, right.

“No! Really! I wanted to tell you… to not think about it. Leave it alone.” She said, and she looked pretty worried.

“Leave what alone? My memories? This whole time you’ve been complaining that I’ve forgotten you, don’t you want me to remember?”

“BUT this way we can stay together FOREVER!” She smiled darkly. “Why would I give that up? I want you to suffer forever.” She laughed, but then her face filled with fear as she looked somewhere behind me. “NO! Not YET!”

I turned around to find a metal box behind me. “What the heck is that?” I mumbled as I stared at it. It looked so… familiar.

“Don’t go near it! Monkey! Listen to me!” Bunny screamed but I ignored her and walked towards it. Bunny kept screaming, but I lifted my hand to touch it anyways. I thought I could hear something in it. Something breathing.

‘It Hurts…’ Something screamed from inside the box and without thinking I stepped away. That voice… It was soo familiar… it was…

Me.


I gasped as my eyes opened and I found myself in a room I had never seen before. I sat up and noticed I was alone. The bed I was in was huge and very comfortable. There was a huge window on one side with two elegant sofa chairs and a small coffee table faced towards it. There was also a boudoir and a dresser with a large mirror. I was in awe. The room was not only large it was beautiful. Every detail was perfect, and it felt like it had come right out of some magazine.

Before I could even get up, the door to my right opened and a maid walked in. “Good evening Miss. I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“No… I was already awake.” I mumbled.

“Please feel free to take your time freshening up. Your friend, Miss Tammy, is in the room right in front of yours. Also, you may look around the house as you please. Dinner will be in the dining hall in 2 hours. Please ask any of the maids for help finding anything at all or any other needs you have. Do you have any questions as of right now?” She said with a smile.

“No, I’m alright. Thank you.” I smiled back and after a small bow she left, closing the door behind her. I waited a few minutes before I finally decided to get up and see what Tammy was doing.

When I reached her door I slowly turned the handle and opened it just a little when someone called me from down the hallway.

“Miss Grace, Miss Pierce is actually sleeping right now.” A guy said as he approached me. He was wearing a black suit and black tie with a shirt button-up shirt. He looked like he was probably in his 40s.

“Oh.” I mumbled as I slowly closed the door again. “Sorry.” I stood there next to the door while he stood a few feet away. For a few moments neither of us said anything.

“Actually, I was sent to lead you to Master Hastings. Please follow me.” He said with a polite smile.

“Umm, do you mean Jaden?” I asked, not really understanding what was going on. The man’s smile grew slightly but he didn’t say a word as he continued to walk, and I followed.

We went up a flight of stairs so that we were on the third floor. Halfway down the hall, he stopped and faced the double doors on our left. He slowly opened one of them and held it open for me as well. “Right this way, Miss.” I nodded and entered.

At the other side of the room, there was a large window similar to the one in my room. In front if it was a large desk as well as a couple chairs. One large black chair was turned facing towards the window, but I could see someone’s leg. Large bookshelves lined the walls to my left, and they literally reached the ceiling.

“Master Hastings, it is Miss Marie Grace.” The man in the suit closed the door as he exited, leaving me with ‘Master Hastings’.

He slowly turned around. The man looked older than the guy in the suit. His hair was all gray and his face looked quite cold. He was a bit heavy but he still looked very healthy. “Hello Miss Grace, it is very nice to finally meet you.”

The guy paused and didn’t continue, so I finally spoke. “Umm, it has kind of been a long and confusing day, so if you could just explain what exactly you need.” I smiled as I tried to be polite, but I had never been very good at that.

“Very well,” He chuckled, “I’ll get straight to the point. It has come to my attention that the reason my son refuses to come back and study at the best private school in the country is because of you.”

“You mean… Jaden?” I asked, trying to grasp what he was saying. Why would he turn down going to such an amazing school? There was no way it was for me.

“Yes, Jaden is my son. How did you like our summer house? Magnificent, isn’t it? And this is only where we spend a month of our time each year. A little vacation spot. Our actual family mansion is much larger and much more-“

“What are you trying to say?” I said, a bit rudely as I swallowed loudly. I had forgotten that this place was just a SUMMER house. A place this big was nothing to them and it actually scared me to think of what his actual house looked like. I was also suddenly embarrassed by the room he had been staying in with me. It was ridiculously small, probably barely the size of the smallest bathroom in this house.

“The purpose, Miss Grace, is to remind you of your place and his. My son is not some ordinary boy off the street. He is the heir to billion dollar franchises and much more. He doesn’t have time to be messing around with you and your friends.”

I suddenly felt really angry. Who was he to say all of this to me? I had never forced Jaden to stay. In fact, he was a pain in my butt, and yet this guy was accusing me on keeping him for myself? “I assure you that I won’t stop him from doing whatever he wants, and I never have.”

“Yes, but apparently he feels the need to stay with you. Probably because he pities the poor friendless little girl who came home on day to find both her parents killed.”

“Okay, you have crossed the line.” I growled venomously.

“But have you ever stopped to consider what has always been before your eyes? He feels nothing but remorse and pity for you.”

“No, that’s not-“

“Why else would he want to be friends with a girl like you? No friends? No family? What do you have to offer?” I flinched slightly at his remark. It hurt much more than I expected. “You can never be a part of this family or his life.”

“I have never insinuated that I want to be a part of this family or anything. I didn’t even want him to be in my life, but… He told me that he’s my friend, and even though I don’t like to admit it, I am his friend too. We are friends, Mr. Hastings, as I-”

He smiled. “If you’re truly JUST his friend, wouldn’t you want what’s best for him?”

“You’re mixing the role of a parent and a friend. You want what’s best for him. I just want him to be happy.” I smiled as I slowly began to regain my composure.

His face turned slightly red as he got angrier. “I’ve tried to be polite about this, Miss Grace. I thought that if I talked to you just once, you would understand. However, if you refuse to do so then I have no choice.” I said as he paused and calmed down. “Miss Grace, your uncle works for me, does he not? And Miss Pierce’s father, I happen to know his boss very well.” I felt my face darken. “You can see how your lack of cooperation might negatively affect those around you.

I just glared at him as I considered what he was saying. If I didn’t agree, my uncle would be jobless, but I could care less. Except that I didn’t want Candy to suffer, especially not because of me. Also, to make Tammy suffer because I couldn’t accept defeat was stupid. I didn’t really have any other option than to listen.

“This won’t be like your dispute with that other lady, Kelly, was it? Jaden may have helped you then, but only with my consent. He is helpless against me of course.”

“I never considered asking him for help. What do you want? You want me to tell him to leave me alone, because that’s useless.” I smiled.

“That is why I want you to stay away from him for a week. I’ll make sure that this does not affect your attendance at school and your parents will be informed.”

“Wait, what?”

“I would like for you to disappear for a bit. Let’s try a week. That should be enough time. By then, I’ll convince Jaden to return.”

This seemed stupid, but I had a feeling there was a part that he would not be informing me about. “Where will I go?”

“I’m sure you can arrange something?” He smiled. “It’s Friday today so by Monday I want you to be gone. That’s all that I ask.”

Before I could respond, the door behind me opened. “I’m sorry to intrude, however Miss Grace is needed in the dining hall. I told the young Master that I would bring her down immediately.” The man from before said calmly.

“It’s fine, we’ve already come to an agreement. Right, Miss Grace.”

“Yes, I believe we have.” I smiled back, trying to control the urge to just stab him with one of the pens on his desk. It would not be that difficult, since I was really fast. He would barely be able to scream before I lodged the pen in his throat. “Bye, Mr. Hastings. I hope we never meet again.”

“Yes, let us hope that is the case.” He laughed as I left the room.

My head ached as I walked. The only thing that was really clear was that Jaden and I lived in two very different worlds. His world had million dollar houses, and mine had just one small room that barely fit my things. While he had closets full of clothes, I had one suitcase. We were complete opposites.

The more time I spent at this house the more aware I was becoming of that. I shouldn’t have gotten myself involved with him in the first place, but I hadn’t actually had much of a choice. Even our visit here had been completely unexpected. It felt like in the matter of one day suddenly everything had changed. I hadn’t known about Jaden’s world till now, and instead of learning about it slowly I was just tossed into the middle of it with no warning. I was sure there was more to that story as well, but for now I just wanted to forget it all.

For now, I would just go downstairs and enjoy a delicious dinner with those two as if everything were fine. I don’t know how or when, but I had always taken what the three of us had for granted. Even though Jaden normally irritated me, I had a feeling I would miss him.

But it was more than that. As I saw Jaden and Tammy waiting for me at the dinner table with smiles on their faces, I smiled at them as if I didn’t know. As if I didn’t know that this moment with the three of us together would be one of our last. Even though everything was always chaotic and we were almost always fighting, I guess I had always believed that we would have more time.

As I sat down at the table with them, I finally realized something that I had always know but refused to admit…

I didn’t want this to end…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it.

On a sadder note, I've basically mapped out the final chapters. and as of right now this story may barely make it to 50 chapters. i am HOPING I'm wrong, but I don't want the story to progress too slowly...

Also, this chapter was a bit packed, huh? Lots of things happened, but I'm looking forward to the next chapter which will be the "ball". :) It should be fun.

On a lighter note, don't drug your friends! If you were curious, Marie doesn't like planes but she doesn't like to admit that either. haha.

SO thanks again for reading and all of your support! I couldn't have gotten this far without all of you!

Sam