Visitors

Over Breakfast.

Melissa didn't understand why her mommy and daddy got so upset when she told them about the little kids playing out side of her bedroom door at night. She told them over a bowl chocolaty cocoa puffs that she wanted to play with them, but she knew she had to ask permission first.

"Melissa," her mom said sternly, "Don't talk like that. You know there are not children playing outside your bedroom at night." Her mother and father exchanged a look. Edwin looked at his daughter over his Sunday paper.

"But there is, mommy!" Melissa had whined. It was tough being 5, no one ever believed you. They called you silly, a liar, or said you had "watched too many cartoons."

"That's nonsense," Edwin stated, "we lock the doors at night, so how could these children get in?"

After thinking about it, Melissa finally said "I can ask them."

Rebekah slammed down her spoon into her bowl of Raisin Bran. Splashes of milk hit the table.

"That's enough, Melissa!" She told her, "Just eat your cereal."

Rebekah had never liked talk of ghosts, not even in her 32nd year. Just the thought of spirits haunting her house freaked her out, let alone the fact that her daughter claims ghst children play a mere 2 feet from her door at night.

"I'm sorry, mommy." came a small voice. Melissa was looking appologetically at her mother, who had shut her eyes in frustration.

"It's okay, honey." She told her in a kind-mommy voice. "Just eat your cereal."

Edwin went back to reading the paper. No reason to get upset, he thought. The girl's just been watching too many cartoons.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would really like to know what you think.