Believe in the Enemy

Chapter Two

They were in the car, the dry desert air circulating as a way of trying to make up for the busted A/C. A drac had done that trying to break into their car a couple of months ago. Elizabeth could have killed him just for the fact that she had to go out sweating now. And on top of that, she had to wear a jacket so her pale skin wouldn’t burn. It was hard being a killjoy, but she would never give it up.

BL/ind was purposely making every zone outside of Battery City, as well as a few more central metropolises across the country, practically inhabitable. It was their way of keeping a tight control on the population. And for those willing to rough it outside their oppressive walls, well there were always the draculoids to quiet the radicals.

“We’ve got company.” Frankie said, looking out the rearview window. A car similar to theirs, all black with white details, flanked by two bikes on either side. Think of the devil, Elizabeth thought to herself. The guys all pulled out their ray guns. Ray handed Frankie his, moving more for the launcher under the back seat. Elizabeth was sitting between the two, and had turned around to see outside. She almost immediately regretted it. She locked eyes with the driver of the other car and gulped.

Korse.

She quickly turned back around in her seat. She was sweating even more now, and it wasn’t on account of the heat this time. Gerard, her other brother, looked at her in the rearview. He got even more angry than he already was. But, he managed to keep his composure like always. “Blow it up.” He said simply. He wanted to see that bald bastard fly.

What ensued was something straight out of a sci-fi film. Bits of lazers flying back and forth. They eliminated the four dracs on the motor bikes almost immediately, and Mikey made a mental note to come back for their bikes. He needed a new one. Two dracs emerged out of the car and began shooting at them. They were easily picked off as well. He hadn’t brought his top game today.

And the pale man quickly turned around, now fleeing those he had been pursuing. The boys kept shooting. They were in the clear now. He wouldn’t pursue them on his own, he was far too cowardly for that. But that didn’t matter. He’d hurt Elizabeth, he’d scared her. They were aiming to kill.

Unfortunately, they also weren’t crazy enough to turn around after him. Soon, he had sped out of the range of their weapons. The boys ducked back inside the car, to see a shaking Elizabeth. “Oh Eli…” Ray said softly, pulling her close. He had his own theories about why she could fight dracs for days, but she couldn’t handle seeing Korse. She’d never dealt with what had happened at the camps. She hadn’t told anyone about what she witnessed in them. In fact, only one person on Earth knew the full details of what had happened at the camps.

And they were pulling up to his house right now.

A young man in a motorcycle helmet skated down the ramp in front of the shack, at top speed. He turned his skates and skidded to a hault when he saw the car, grinning. As the killjoys got out, he tightly embraced all of them. “Morning, sunshines. I was just coming to get you!” He saw Elizabeth struggling to get out of the car. “And Mizzie Lizzie!” He said happily, hugging her and picking her up in it. “What a fantastic treat to see you! Let’s get you inside where it’s…less hot. It’s never really cool in the desert.”

Elizabeth had actually stayed with the Doc and Show Pony for two months after she escaped the camps. She wasn’t healthy enough to fight yet, and the last thing any of them wanted was for the guys to be happily reunited with her only to have her get sick and pass away. They’d experimented with making their own medications until they found ones to work for her. Of course, there was a way for her to get exactly what she needed. Going back to the camps. It would never happen.

Show Pony laid her down gently on their “well loved” couch taken from the outskirts of the city. She relaxed a little bit. Elizabeth knew that she was safe here, just as safe as she was at the diner. She remembered shortly after she arrived, Korse himself had came to try and get her. He’d left with four ray gun wounds, all issued from the Doc. They were just as much her family as the boys were.

The whirring of motors could be heard from the broadcasting room. In rolled the Doc on his wheelchair. And, like he knew she was coming, he had an IV bag stolen from a medical shipment in his hands. “Arm out, Liz.” He said with a gentle smile. He pushed her jacket up over her wrist and quickly put the needle in. He was experienced in where her veins were. They did this often. “I’m assuming you need stronger medication?”

She gave him a shy smile. She didn’t like admitting to anyone how sick she was, and in the past few weeks her health had been going down again. She hadn’t told or shown anybody. She didn’t want them to worry about her. He tsk’d at her. “You need to start communicating, sweetheart. No one can help you if you don’t work to help yourself. You’re lucky though. I’ve got a new blend for you. Hopefully this one will be strong enough to last.” Then he turned to the boys. “While she’s getting nice and hydrated, and updating the kid,” his nickname for Show Pony “on your latest gossip, I’ve got something to discuss with you.”