Status: done :)

Punch-Drunk Love

The Compromise

My cup nearly dropped from my grip, as I leaned against the door for support. Standing there, shivering from the cold rain, was Brian looking a complete mess.

“What are you doing here?” I said with venom in my voice, “I think you said everything you needed to say yesterday.”

“I wanted to apologize,” he said pushing his hair back.

“Apologize!?” I said with a laugh, “You really think an apology will help take away what you said yesterday?”

“I know it can’t take it away, but I feel like an ass,” he said with a sigh, “I had no right to say what I did, and I’m sorry.”

He looked up at me, raindrops collecting on his eyelashes, and I stepped onto the porch with him. I closed the door behind me, and my brought my hand up to slap him across the face.

“That’s for calling me a whore,” I said before slapping him again, “And that one’s for accusing me of cheating with my best friend. Why would you even think that? He’s like a brother to me!”

“It’s not like I found you in the best of positions yesterday,” he said with anger laced into his voice, “What would you think if you found me half naked on a bed, being pinned down by a girl? You’d be just as mad.”

“That’s different because you know that Stephen and I are like siblings,” I said angrily, “I love you, for fucks sake. I couldn’t cheat on you even if I wanted to.”

“It’s hard to believe when I see you like that!”

I pursed my lips, now soaking from the rain, and thought about what he had said. I did have a very flirtatious nature, and that could send someone mixed signals. On the other hand, I was a loyal person, and couldn’t imagine ever cheating on someone, especially having been cheated on myself. Then, I realized the real reason that Brian was so angry.

“You’re jealous, aren’t you?” I said sliding my bangs from my face.

“What?” Brian asked confused, “Why would I be jealous?”

“You’re jealous of Stephen,” I said pointing a finger, “You’re jealous that I’m so close to him, and it kills you inside. News flash Brian, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. He’s like my older brother! He’s been there for me through the dark times in my life.

“Just because of that doesn’t mean I’m in love with him deep down, okay? I love you, and no else.”

“You’re right, I am jealous,” he said running his hands through his hair, “I’m jealous because I know that someone could easily steal you away from me!

“You’re such an amazing girl, Sadie, and I’m in still in awe that I was able to get you. I’m jealous of how close you and Stephen are, because it hurts me to know that there are some things only he can know about you.

“I want to be the guy that you come to when you’re hurting. I want to be there for you through everything. And I will be, if you just let me. Don’t let what we have be over because I let my temper get the best of me.”

“I want you to be that guy too, Brian. I want us to stop getting so mad at each other over trivial stuff,” I said standing closer to him, “And this isn’t over, not even close.”

As I finished talking, I was chest to chest with him. As my final syllable slipped from my mouth, he gripped the sides of my face and roughly pressed his lips onto mine. I eagerly returned the kiss, and wrapped my arms firmly around his neck.

The rain kept pouring down over us, but it was clear that neither of us minded. In time, he had lifted me up, and my legs had wrapped around his waist as we were pushed up against the stucco of the house. Thankfully it was dark outside, because no one would have wanted to see us making out like we were.

“We should go dry off,” I said as we broke apart.

He nodded breathlessly, and let me down slowly. I gripped his hand, and lead him into the house, and silently up the stairs. We both stripped off our wet clothes, and I gave Brian some of the clothes he had left here over the course of our relationship. I slid on a pair of baggy sweats, and cami, before tying my hair up, and shivering as I slid into the bed.

“So you want to know everything, huh?” I asked Brian as he slid in next to me.

“As much as you’ll tell me,” he said getting situated, “What were those dark times?”

“The first was in freshman year, when I hit a wave of depression after my Grandpa died,” I said licking over my lips, “I was super close to him, and after he died I would barely talk, eat or do anything social. Stephen would just sit with me, and was there when I finally opened up.

“Then there was earlier this year when my long term boyfriend, Adam, broke up with me the night before prom. Then I found out he had cheated on me numerous times, and was taking one of the whores with him to prom. I started drinking a lot, and would hook up at random parties, never going all of the way though.

“You were the first guy I had actually considered since then. Something about you gave me a breath of fresh air, and I’m damn glad it did.”

When I was done, I bit my lip, and held back the inevitable tears. I blinked them back furiously, but one slipped out, causing Brian to brush it away. I smiled graciously, and we just stared into each other’s eyes for a few minutes.

“I think from this point on we need to stop being jealous of stupid things,” Brian said in a slight whisper, “I love you too much to lose you Sadie.”

“I love you too, Brian,” I said scooting into his arms, “I promise to stop flirting so much, it’s not okay.”

He gave me a quick kiss, and rested his chin on top of my head with his arms wrapped tightly around me. I nuzzled my head into his chest, and traced random patterns against his back until I fell asleep
♠ ♠ ♠
another short one.
i'm sorry.
But i'm working on the next one right now!
All inspired by Miranda ;)