Status: In progress.

The Ghost of You

Chapter One - Prove them wrong

Chapter One
Prove them wrong.

"I can't wait to see you," Alex said into the phone, laying out on their bed. After tour, Jack had gone to Vegas for a couple days and Alex had missed him like crazy. It just wasn't the same when he couldn't go to bed curled up to the love of his life. "I hope you realize that you're taking me to see Harry Potter when you get home. We're due for a date night," Alex told his love. Their tour had just ended, and it was near impossible to really go out on a date when they were touring. By the time Jack's plane landed, it would be early afternoon and they would have time to get ready for a date.

"I knew that you were going to make me take you to that," Jack replied with a little laugh. Sure, he had already seen the movie in Vegas, but he would do anything to make Alex smile. It had been that way for the past 6 years, and he knew already that it would be like that for the rest of their lives. "I gotta get going, baby. I'm about to board my flight. I'll see you in a few hours. I love you," Jack said softly, already getting up from his seat in the airport to head over to his gate when they called his flight.

"Oh, alright. I will be waiting at the airport for you. I love you, too. More than anything," Alex nodded with a little smile. Hanging up the phone, he looked over at the clock and already started silently counting down the minutes until he'd be reunited with Jack. Alex got up from the bed and slipped his phone into his back pocket before heading downstairs, smiling when he saw Baz there. "Daddy will be home soon!" Alex picked up the small dog to give him a kiss as he headed into the kitchen. He set Baz back down again before putting food in the dogs dish and started to figure out what he could make for dinner. It would more than likely end up being one of Jack's favorite dishes, but it was a matter of which one he had the stuff to make. The hours passed and Alex was getting more excited about the trip to the airport to get Jack. It finally reached the point where there was one little hour until Alex needed to pick him up and since dinner was already in the oven, he figured he needed to start getting ready. He was headed up the stairs to their bedroom when the phone rang.

"Is this Mr. Alex Barakat?" The lady on the phone asked upon Alex's answering. He confirmed it was with a bit of confusion in his voice. "As you know, Jack Barakat was on the most recent flight from Las Vegas, Nevada to Baltimore, Maryland. I'm afraid the flight has had some complications while in air..." she started. Alex felt sick, he sat down on the stairs, his hand slightly shaking as he listened to her. How could she be acting so calm about this, he did not like where she was heading with her words. "The plane has made a crash landing," she continued. "There have been no survivors found," she said softly. Alex couldn't listen anymore, but his hand was frozen holding the phone to his ear. Salty tears were falling from his eyes, feeling like fire as they slid down his cheeks. Sitting there on the stairs, he just stared off, holding the phone as he tried to process what she was telling him.

No survivors. Those two words felt like a sharp dagger. His hand finally allowed him to move the phone from his ear as she continued on about what happened. Not wanting to hear anymore, he hung up the phone and his hands rested in his lap. So many thoughts sped through his head as he processed what she said... what was going to happen now. It couldn't be true. She had the wrong flight. Jack was still coming home to him. He looked at the clock on his phone, half hour until the time his flight landed. Getting up quickly, he wiped his eyes and went up to their bedroom and changed. Tonight was still going to be perfect. He would get Jack, they'd have dinner and then go see Harry Potter. He dressed in jeans that fit his figure well and the shirt Jack always told him was his favorite before heading to the car and making his way to the airport. Finally at the airport, he parked and looked at the clock. Ten minutes.

"Please, Jack. Prove her wrong." He whispered, looking up at the sky. Getting out of the car, he folded his arms across his stomach as he entered the airport. The usual chaos was happening, Alex looking around as he looked for a sign that the lady might be right. Shaking his head again, he went to the gate Jack told him he would be coming out of and sat down in one of the chairs. Taking a deep breath, he looked at his phone for the time. Five minutes. Any minute now they'd announce Jack's flight landing and he'd see the man walk through the gate back to him. Alex's eyes never once left the doors of the gate, sitting there and watching. He could feel the minutes passing by, each minute the feeling of the dagger started to come back and felt sharper. Sitting there, he paid no attention to the people around him. No one on the staff, none of the other people walking past him, the kids screaming as usual. Nothing got his attention as he stared at the door. His heart sinking slowly as the time passed. "Fuck, Jack. Where are you?" He said, mostly to himself as he watched the doors. Minutes passed and turned into hours, people were going about their usual plans and lives as he sat there, watching the doors. The thought, 'any minute now' kept passing through his mind. Any minute now, Jack would come through those doors and prove the lady wrong. Jack would come back to him, his plane hadn't crashed. He didn't let himself look at his phone again, putting it face down on the chair next to him.