Status: In progress.

The Ghost of You

Chapter Two - Where are you?

Chapter Two
Where are you?

Alex had sat in the same chair for a total of seven hours. He hadn't gotten up to eat, go to the bathroom, nothing. Part of him was afraid to get up, feeling like the minute he did, would be the minute Jack would come through the gate. After all, his flight must have just gotten delayed. It was going on nine p.m. when Alex felt someone sit next to him, felt an arm slipping around his shoulders and pulling him a little closer. His mind went to the thought that he was at the wrong gate and hope filled him as he looked over. By then, it'd been a full seven hours since the phone call, and tons more people had been notified of the happening.

"I was afraid that I would find you here..." A concerned Rian said softly. "We've been looking for you, 'Lex," Rian said softly. When Alex saw that it wasn't Jack next to him, everything hit him all at once and he started to break down. He couldn't hang onto the denial with the drummer there, it made it all more real. Alex's arms slipped around Rian's neck tightly, hugging him close as he started sobbing. Rian sighed softly, biting his lip as he hugged Alex close to him. "Shh, let's get you home," Rian whispered to him. He held Alex close as they slowly made their way out of the airport, Rian taking Alex to his car. Alex was in no condition to drive. Rian helped Alex into the passenger seat before going over to the drivers side.

"It's not fair," Alex said softly, staring out the window as he cried still. Resting his head against the window, his arms folded across his stomach. Rian bit his lip softly as he started up the car, reaching over to rest a hand on Alex's thigh. Nobody was really sure what was going to happen now, but they all knew they had to get Alex through this. Alex was silent for the entire drive from the airport back to his house, and he barely moved from staring out the window. After a twenty minute drive, that seemed like days to Alex, Rian finally pulled into the driveway of Alex and Jack's home. There were other cars in the driveway, people that wanted to be there for Alex, and just get through the accident together. Alex shook his head a little as he got out of Rian's car, he didn't want to deal with anyone. He simply wanted to wake up from whatever this nightmare was. Rian quickly got out and followed Alex up to the door, resting a hand on his lower back as he opened the door for him. Alex remained silent as Rian went into the house with him, no longer crying. He felt like he couldn't cry anymore, there was nothing more than an empty feeling. Looking around, he saw everyone that he expected to be there. His band and their crew, parents, friends, too many people. He didn't say anything as he looked around at everyone that was there and just stood there for a minute. After a two minute long, awkward silence, Alex continued walking and headed up the stairs to their bedroom.

Inside the room, he closed the door behind him and pressed his back against it. He needed the solid wood for support, to keep him on his feet as he looked around the room. Everything in the room screamed Jack's name. Everything smelt like him, told him a memory, everything was Jack. He could hear everyone downstairs and his hand moved to lock their bedroom door. He didn't want company right now. He needed to be alone. He needed to process what was happening. To wake up. Anything. Pulling his cell phone out of his back pocket, he slowly slid down the door until he was sitting on the floor. He knew what he wanted to do, now it was simply to make his fingers go through with it. Sitting quietly, he stared at his phone for a minute before his fingers slowly pressed the number one. Speed dial for Jack's cell phone. Taking a deep breath, he moved the phone to his ear. Jack would pick up. He'd hear the others voice telling him none of this was true. He missed his flight and was waiting for the next one. No answer.

"Fucking hell, Jack... Where are you? This can't be real," Alex muttered, dropping his phone and pulling his knees to his chest. His head buried in his knees as he hugged his legs to him tightly and without delay, the tears found their way back out. He sat there, against their door, crying for what felt like days. Starting to feel sick, he knew he needed to calm himself down. Picking his phone back up, he looked at it to see the clock. Midnight. He'd been sitting against that door for a little over two hours. The house was quiet, sure enough everyone downstairs had either left or gone to sleep. Slowly getting up, he went over to the closet and slowly opened the door. It was hard looking at all of Jack's stuff in their closet, his hand slowly running over the different pieces of fabric until he noticed Jack's favorite hoodie. He carefully pulled it off the hanger and slipped it on. It still had Jack's familiar scent, perfect. He left the door locked as he went over to their bed, laying on Jack's side of the bed and getting comfortable. There was no chance of him sleeping, but things seemed okay for the moment. Being able to smell his love made it seem like he was there, in a way. Even if in reality he wasn't.