When Love Became a Regular Customer

Chapter 2

There's really no amount of begging and pleading one could do to get into the situation I've found myself in. Sitting next to a guy I never knew I would start to fall for, seeing your best friend infatuated with someone you thought you liked, and having all your feelings tied in a knot. It's not like anyone would ask for something like this. But, when it's happening, even through the pain... you never really want it to end.

Brian was leaning back a bit farther, so as to reach his arm over the back of the couch behind Haley. I thought I was the only one that noticed this until I caught Rob's gaze shift to Brian as well. Both our best friends were flirting... How could we tear our eyes away?

Meanwhile, Haley was blushing in the dimly lit room, and doing her best to breathe evenly. I was sitting somewhat closely to Rob, being sure not to accidentally brush knees. That might create an awkward situation that I would much rather avoid.

All was going well until a scene I had forgotten was in this movie came on.... Rob's face turned a distinct shade of deep red, Brian started playing with a stray string on his shirt, and Haley was intently studying the ceiling pattern. So, I stood up, turned off the DVD player, and turned to face them.

"Who's up for some ice cream?" I asked.

Within minutes, we were all sitting around the living room floor eating ice cream like little kids.

"I say we play a game." Brian suggested with a mouthful of ice cream.

Rob nodded, "What do you want to play?" He directed his question at me.

I thought for a moment. With a mischievous grin and a recent memory, I got an idea. "What about truth or dare?" I proposed, "I know it's sort of Junior-High-Slumber-Party, but it could be a lot of fun."

Brian wore a devious smirk, "I've got lots of truth's I've been wanting to ask.... Haley?" He looked at Haley to see what he thought.

"Sounds good to me." She said.

"Let's play." Rob said, setting his empty ice cream bowl on our coffee table.

We all got settled and decided to let Haley start.

"Umm..." she looked around the room, "Riley." She looked at me with a grin. "Truth or Dare?"

"Truth." I said. I am no way taking a dare from her. Last time, she made me eat Kibbles 'n Bits for breakfast.

"Okay." She stated, still looking suspicious, "What is your user-name on your Twitter account?" She asked.

I took a deep breath, glared at Haley, and muttered through clenched teeth, "Riley Michelsen."

"Really?" Brian asked, grinning slowly. I shot him a look too, "Cause if so, that would be just precious, Riley." He batted his eyelashes in sarcasm.

I chucked a throw pillow at a strategic place. Needless to say, he stopped teasing me.

"Why is it Riley Michelsen?" Rob asked quietly. His cheeks were rosy and his gaze shifted around.

I looked at the ground, "Because you're my favorite member of Stereo Skyline." I muttered.

Brian faked offense, "Well, I can see who shows favoritism in this household." He pouted.

"You know I love all of you." I stuck out my tongue, "I just kind of have a thing for shy drummers." I added.

Rob smiled sheepishly, "And I have this thing for outgoing coffee addicts." He said quietly.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah," He smirked, "Maybe because I'm neither of those. And it's nice to know that there's someone who can be everything I'm not." I felt my heart melt, no lie. He lost his dreamy expression, "You know, those types of girls." He said with a smile. It was one smile I couldn't help but return.