When Love Became a Regular Customer

Chapter 3

“Enough with the mush, let’s get back to the dirt.” Brian said, wiggling his eyebrows at the lot of us.

“I think it’s Riley’s turn.” Haley said.

I sent a devilish smile in her direction, “Oh is it?” Her eyes grew in fear, “Alright, Haley. Truth or dare?”

She squinted at me and mentally debated, “Truth.” She finally decided.

Brian and Rob looked back and forth between the two of us, trying to keep their amusement hidden behind their hands.

“Okay, Haley… What was the theme of your 17th birthday?” I smirked deviously. She grew a lovely shade of purple.

“Brian.” She mumbled, barely audible. Rob covered his mouth to keep from laughing.

Brian smiled his little kid smile, “Really?”

Haley looked at her hands in her lap smiling, “Maybe.” She drawled out the end of the word.

“That’s so cute.” He smiled at her, a bit rosy in his upper cheeks.

“I wish someone had a Rob themed birthday party.” Rob pouted, picking at a strand of carpet.

“Well you see, for Riley’s 18th birthday-” Haley started.

“It’s not my turn, Haley!” I said, embarrassed to no end. Rob had a small smile on his face, shy as always. I grinned back, still mortified and planning the murder of my best friend.

“I think this game is getting a little… Embarrassing.” Haley said, playing with them hem of her shirt. “So, why don’t we just call it a night?”

I couldn’t help but notice Rob’s slight disappointment. Maybe it’s mindless dreaming. But I hoped it wasn’t.

“And pick back up tomorrow?” Brian asked optimistically.

I smiled, “I think we can arrange that.”

Rob looked over at me right as I had glanced his way. We both had an awkward moment, but then softened it with a smile. And for the first time, I actually went to bed at a decent hour. Why? Because the sooner I go to sleep, the sooner tomorrow comes.

><><><><><><

Don’t you hate it when you wake up to the sound of your phone vibrating on a table? It’s just so loud and obnoxious. I waited a moment before moving to pick it up. If it vibrates once, it’s just a text. If it continues vibrating, it’s a phone call. Just my luck, it kept going.

I grumbled, got out of bed, and answered my phone without reading the caller ID.

“Do you realize it is the morning? And do you know how cranky I am in the morning?!” I grouched at the unknown caller.

“I’m sorry. Should I call you back later?” I heard Rob’s quiet voice. He sounded worried, as if he’d made a life or death mistake by calling me.

Instantly my tone softened, “Oh, no no no. You’re fine. Sorry about that.” I apologized, “I just get a little bit upset when my dreams get interrupted.” I admitted honestly.

“What was your dream about?” He asked, but then nervously added, “That is, if you don’t mind me asking.”

I grinned at his awkward little voice, “No, it’s cool. I actually don’t remember my dream now.” I shrugged, forgetting he can’t see me.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He said apologetically. And let me tell you, the way he can make someone’s heart melt. “I actually dreamed about breakfast….” He said.

I laughed, “You dreamed about food?”

I could feel him grin from over the phone, “Yeah. I know it’s stupid. But it was about… You, actually.” He sounded as if he was telling me he was my secret admirer. You know, that little boy, scared-of-what-she’s-gonna-say kind of voice.

“And what did this dream involve?” I asked, smiling giddily.

“Well, we were out at breakfast….” He started. I waited for him to continue, “We both ordered chocolate milk and chocolate chip pancakes.” I giggled a little bit, “And we were sitting in your living room. We ended up watching the Sound of Music. And we sang along to every song, pretending we were all the main characters…” He made a deep laugh in the back of his throat that came across as overly attractive, “And then… you kissed me on the cheek before I left.” He ended shyly. My heart swelled up, to be honest. I could barely contain my squeals.

“Really?” I asked, covering them up smoothly.

“Yeah,” He laughed nervously, “I know it’s a dumb dream… And I feel stupid now for telling you.” He said, sounding beaten up.

“No no no! I promise that wasn’t dumb. It was actually one of the cutest dreams I’ve ever heard.” I told him, “And now I’m hungry.” I said, hearing the doorbell ring. I slipped into my slippers and walked towards the door.

“That’s good.” He said.

I raised an eyebrow, “Why is that good?” I asked, opening the door to see who was there.

On the other side was Rob… With a picnic basket and a sheepish smile.

He smiled and held up the basket, “Because I brought breakfast for two.”