When Love Became a Regular Customer

Chapter 4

I sat there on my soft, plushy couches for what seemed like hours. Haley went on and on about how adorable Rob was when he'd kissed my cheek just then. My cheeks turned a shade of red as I agreed that he was, in fact, adorable.

"So," I smirked devilishly, wiggling my eyebrows, "what are your plans with Mr. Maddox for the day?"

She bit her lip and looked down, stifling a smile. "We might possibly be going shopping later."

I squealed, clapping in excitement, "Ah! You both love shopping! Why didn't I think of that?"

She giggled, "I actually think he might enjoy it more than I do."

"Well, you MUST take pictures." I demanded, smiling at the thought of the two of them off skipping down some store aisle.

I was just about to dream up their wedding when the doorbell rang. I glanced at the clock on the wall.

"It's already noon?" I thought out loud. I took to doorknob into my hand and gave it a good pull. Behind it was Brian, looking runway-ready as ever. Haley's eyes shot open as she realized she wasn't ready to go.

I stuttered, standing in front of Brian as Haley ducked down to army crawl back to the bedroom.

"Brian!" I greeted perkily, stepping forward and pushing him outside the door.

"Uh, hey Riley." He looked confused, yet smiled anyway.

I glanced back over my shoulder to see if she was there, "So," I stalled, "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see Haley." He told me, laughing a little under his breath at my awkwardness.

I sighed, "Look, she's not exactly... presentable, yet. If you want to come inside and wait for her, then that would be easier than me trying to stall you."

He smiled, maybe a bit relieved, "Sure."

He stepped through my door way and I closed it behind him. We talked about movies and music and bad restaurant experiences and other lighthearted topics. And then came the subject of Rob.

"So," He started, smiling evilly, resting an elbow on the armrest, "how are we feeling about Rob?"

"Well, I'd hope WE'RE not feeling anything." I joked, and stuck out my tongue. He laughed and threw a pillow at me. "But um, I think we're feeling pretty good about him."

"Really?" He asked excitedly. Just like I would have had I asked him about Haley.

"Yeahh..." I drug out, tracing circles into the material on our couches.

"Don't tell him I told you this," he started, leaning in closer as if to share a secret, "but I think he wants to talk to you about coming with him on tour."

My jaw slacked a little, "What?" I asked, a bit shocked.

"We're leaving for tour in a couple weeks. And we'd love for you and Haley to join us." I raised an eyebrow as he continued explaining, "Your band could open for us."

I smiled, excited and overwhelmed, "Oh my gosh, really?!"

"Yes, ma'am! Three months, four of us, and two of you. We'll see how things add up." He winked at me.

Before I could ask what he meant, Haley's shoes came clacking out of her bedroom.

"Oh, hey Brian." She feigned surprise.

He stood when he saw her, "Wow, you look great." He said, smiling innocently. You could tell by his eyes that he was being genuine.

She blushed and then looked him over, "And you look hot." She blurted. Her eyes went wide and she stuttered, "No, like, warm. Temperature-hot. Is it warm in the house? I think it is. We should turn down the thermostat and get something cold to drink." She rambled, charging for the kitchen. Brian gently reached out and took her by the arm.

He smiled and leaned in close enough so he could whisper in her ear, "You look hot, too."

She exhaled deeply, letting some of the nerves escape.

"Ready to exit my apartment now?" I motioned towards to door, hoping they'd take the hint and leave me to my Harry Potter all-day marathon.

Haley giggled at Brian and waved goodbye in my general direction.

I called after them in the hallway, "Have fun! And don't come back pregnant or anything!" Hayley instantly turned on her heel and sent me a frightening glare. I just smiled and waved.

As I settled into the couch with the long, black remote and a cup of coffee, the doorbell rang. I glanced around, looking for something maybe they had forgotten and needed to come back for. I didn't see anything, so I grumbled as I opened the door, expecting a sales person.

My heart softened when Rob stood there smiling, holding a bowl of kettle corn.

"Is it too late to join the all-day marathon? I brought snacks." Rob smiled innocently, lifting up the bowl to show me.

I stood to the side, giggling quietly, and let him in.

"Man, it's been too long since I've been here." He announced, sitting comfortably on my couch.

"Rob, it's been like, three hours." I informed him.

He smirked, "Exactly."

I nudged him with my knee as I settled in beside him.

Two things I love: Musicians and Harry Potter. And they were both in my living room.