If You've Got the Nerve

A Couple of Fine Gentlemen

The ball was fast approaching. Every girl, whether they wore blue, red, green, or yellow, was squealing in delight over the looming event. I had to admit that even I was a bit excited by the atmosphere that it was creating inside the school. It was refreshing to see a little less hostility directed between the separate houses in the light of helping each other snag a cute one. Though there was another part of me that was dreading the dance. I, unlike most beauties of all three schools, still remained dateless and I seemed to be the only one among my group of friends. Hermione and Ginny had both confided in me the identities of their escorts in exchange for the information that I would be going it alone. Of course, Ginny protested vehemently.

“But your outfit is so gorgeous, Nox! You’ve got to show it off with someone by your side.” I had uncomfortably pushed aside the suggestion as her emerald eyes stared me down with an intensity that reminded me too much of George last week. Even Lee, someone that I had considered asking as just a friend, had been snatched up by a pretty brunette. Fred…well, Fred avoided any conversations involving the words “Yule” and “Ball,” but as far as I knew, he was still going with Angelina.

It was the night before the ball, another night spent pushing away Lee’s offers to accompany him and his date to the hall, when I was approached by my rare-to-show friend.

“George and his date are already coming down with us. What’s one more?”

“A crowd,” I answered Lee with a scrunched up face, my eyes still trained on the dancing flames in front of us. He rolled his eyes.

“You’ll just be coming with us to the hall. Honestly, Nox, what do you think is going to happen? Katie’s going to claw your eyes out?” he asked, referring to the girl he would escort onto the dance floor.

“She might,” I leaned in to Lee, batting my eyes in mock flirtation, “after she sees how close we are.” His cheeks actually darkened, but he pushed me away with a playful smile. I laughed, watching him in amusement.

Someone behind us cleared their throat. We both looked up from or spot on the floor in front of the common room fire. Vinny True stood looking absolutely awkward, his weight continuously shifting from one foot to the other at a rate that made him look like he either really needed to visit the loo, or he was practicing his dancing for tomorrow. I smiled up at him.

“Hello, Vinny. Have you met my secret lover Lee Jordan?” Lee shoved me again. I only grinned. Vinny smiled at Lee in a way that only added to his awkward air. His murky green eyes darted back to mine.

“Uh, do you think I could talk to you for a moment…alone?” he glanced fleetingly at Lee before the last word left his mouth. Lee jolted as if suddenly realizing something.

“Guess you won’t need us after all…” he muttered before quickly departing. I threw a pillow at his retreating figure.

“Later, Jordan!” I promised. His pace quickened.

I turned back to Vinny, a grin still present on my features. I patted the spot next to me that Lee had previously occupied. Vinny gave me a smile of his own and sat down, but didn’t relax. He nodded towards the boys’ dorms; the direction Lee had gone. “Friend of yours?”

“Oh, yes,” I replied, “ever since our tragic meeting my first year – his third.”

He regarded me curiously and asked, rather reluctantly, “How did you meet him?”

“Well, there was a rather large spider…” I beamed at the memory, though, truthfully, I had been terrified at the time. “But I take it the relationship between Lee Jordan and I isn’t what you wanted to discuss,” I offered, my smile sobering. He shook his head, nerves obviously returning. I nodded for him to continue, leaning back against the table behind us and moving my eyes to the dying fire.

“I was just wondering, if you haven’t already been asked, if you would, maybe, like to come with me to the ball?” The last bit was rushed, but I still heard it clearly.

I turned my head to study him, my heart slightly unsteady like anyone’s would be if they were asked out by a pretty Russian boy. His voice had been steady, but his confidence wasn’t holding up quiet so well. It was strange to see a boy this nervous in front of me. I was used to Fred and George strutting into a room like they owned it and Lee being calm and cool. Ron was the closest I got to a blushing male.

Vinny was wringing his hands, watching me carefully as if expecting me to laugh harshly at him. I shook my head then regretted it when I realized he probably took that as his answer. Just as the embarrassed flush started in his cheeks, I spoke up. “Vinny, I’d love to go with you.” He hesitated, and then his body visibly relaxed.

“Really?”

“Really,” I laughed. He grinned in return. Just like his brother, the moment a smile lit up his face, every handsome feature about him glowed just as bright. “Cool! I mean thanks, or…well, I mean, I’ll see you tomorrow!” I nodded in agreement as he jumped to his feet, grin still in place, and headed towards the dorms after bidding me goodnight.

No sooner had I stood to stretch the sleep from my bones did the portrait hole swing open to reveal one of my favorite red-heads.

“Word around school is,” George began as he made his way over to me, swinging an arm around my shoulders when he arrived, “that you are refusing an escort from two very fine gentlemen.” I rolled my eyes. George Weasley: ever the essence of humble.

“I’ve got my own fine gentleman as escort, thanks.” I stated dryly. I saw a light spark in my friend’s eyes. It was a hope that was soon extinguished when he realized my current state of quiet content was no indication of his expectation and dimmed further when he perhaps remembered that he had probably just come from his twin’s side. His twin and Angelina’s side, no doubt.

“Who?” he questioned with a surprising amount of disapproval.

“My friend Vinny,” I held his unwavering gaze.

“The Russian one?”

“Yes, father,” I mocked with a roll of my eyes.

He looked ready to say something, but I ducked out from under his arm and darted towards the common room entrance.

“I’ve got to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow, George!” I waved to him as I jumped backwards out of the entrance.

Bad idea.

George made a jerking movement as if to stop me, but he was too far away and my foot had already slipped on the top step of Hogwart’s winding Grand Staircase. For the second time this year, I let out a shriek overruled with cold fear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh. Teenage dances are definitely not my thing. I'm more for the serious type of situations. I'll be much more motivated with this story when we get to the serious, war torn times. Until then, I shall continue to give you my best updates :)

XoXo