Dead Loving the Living

Chapter 16: The Meeting part 2

As I showed her the rest of the house Katie became more relaxed and when we got to her old bedroom she sighed.

"It's almost the same... the guest bedroom to you... but to me... all that's missing is me and all my barbies."

"There not missing. There in the closet. Mike wouldn't let anything leave this house... so everything should be where it is." I said slowly and her smile faded.

"There you go with the whole Mike thing. Stop it! Just stop it all together!!"

"Why?" I asked bluntly. "Why stop it when you can't deny it."

"Then tell me this. Ghosts can sort of read minds right?"

"Well, only their family members." Mike supplied so I just nodded.

"Right now I am thinking about how I escaped. Now how did I escape Mike?" Katie spun around, looking in each direction for Mike. But of course, she couldn't see him.

"You saw yourself going for a walk, two days before the attack. So you went on a walk the day of the attack. Thats when you heard the shooting... and you fled." Mike began, I repeated and I started to see what he saw. Katie's eyes grew distant and I knew that she was seeing the vision as well.

I watched as Katie began her walk and strayed a few yards farther then the pond. She bent down and picked a beautiful flower.

"Hopefully Mike won't catch me with this flower... he'll kill me..." Katie whispered and I heard it twice. I turned and saw the older Katie speak as well. Then I was shocked to hear a gunshot and I didn't move.

"What the heck?" both Katies whispered and she heard footsteps. Then they began to step backwards... trying to get away from the footsteps. The younger Katie tripped on a root from a tree. She fell with a omph and I watched as the figure walked by without seeing her. I looked at the older Katie and saw she had tears in her eyes. She was watching herself and then another gunshot, and another... and finally a scream of triumph.

I saw the younger Katie get up and run, run to the highway and kept running. She never looked back and I turned to the older Katie as the vision began to blur and saw that instead of tears in her eyes, she was crying.

"So...so... he really is here huh? Nobody could do that... only a ghost could and since you... you say its... Mi-Mike..." she stammered as she tried to stop the flow of tears.

"Yeah. It's Mike. And he says he's sorry."

"Why would he be sorry?" Katie asked as she looked up at me. Her mascara was running and her eyes were a bit puffy but I ignored the appearance.

"Cause he seems to think it was his fault everybody died... you were the lucky one. The only one to survive..."

"It wasn't his fault. it was everybodies fault... and I thought he and James would be ok. Your bodies were never found. So how is it that your dead?"

Mike's words began to form in my mouth and I spoke for him.

" James died at the pond. His body is still there and I died in my secret room in my room. "

"Secret room?"

"That's what I wanted to show you. My room, which used to be Mike's." I said and Katie just looked at me like I was an alien. "You know, this whole I'm better then you attitude is getting really old really fast."

She just rolled her eyes and I clenched my fists. Sorry Mike. But I am so not liking your sister.