‹ Prequel: Bedtime
Status: .

Awake

Familiar.

I wake up, realizing I have gone to sleep.
Yawning I look over at Blake, he sleeps peacefully, still clutching my hand.
I gently and carefully pull out of his grasp before climbing off the bed.

I slowly make my way downstairs, clinging to the rail.
As I reach the landing Asher's voice reaches my ears, he's talking to someone.
I stop, hidden behind a wall that separates the foyer from the living room.

"Hi mom, this is Asher, well you probably know that. I guess your not home, but that might make this easier. Um- don't freak out-I'm out of the rehab place, I'm staying with a friend, I'll explain everything as soon as I can, but right now I have to do some stuff. Don't worry about me, I'm fine, I love y- Dammit"

He curses at what I'm guessing is the answering machine cutting him off.
After a moment of silence I round the corner, entering the room.

Asher stands slouched, looking down at our home phone in his hands, sadness creasing his features.
He rubs the back of his neck and furrows his brow, mouth turning down at the corners.

"Asher?"
He jumps a little and snaps his head towards me.

"Oh, hey Farrah"
He says tiredly, setting the phone down on the coffee table.

"You okay?"
I ask, easing myself down on the couch.
He shrugs as a reply and flops down next to me.

"I talked to Blake"

"What'd he say?"

"He says he's sorry for yelling, but he thinks going back and getting ourselves killed would only make things worse for the other kids there"
I sigh, letting my head fall onto his shoulder.

"He's got a point, a good one, but still how else are we going to get proof? but we might not need it remember, if she gets busted- "If. if she gets busted, have you heard anything on that actually happening?"
I question, eyebrow raised.

"Well no- "Then lets just wait for a bit, a couple days, if nothing comes up, then we go back"

*X*

The wind blows softly, picking up my hair slightly, tickling it across my face.
I scrunch my nose and push the stray, playful strands back behind my ear.

The scene before me is dreary, but still beautiful.

My fenced in back yard, the green grass sprouting up in pools of mud, some places the grass is completely void, just mud.
The sky is many different forms of whites, grays and navy's.
The tree's are still yet to be fully endowed with their leaves, keeping their winter skeleton.
The flowers are late to bloom, the garden bare.

It's not beautiful because any of those things, this scene is beautiful because it's home.
I've been home for a few days, but everything familiar from before, dreary or not, is still an amazing sight.

My gaze doesn't break as I hear the sliding glass backdoor open, and feel the porch swing sway as someone sits down next to me.

"I've always hated spring, this part especially, it's uncomfortable to just look at"

"A person can find allure in anything, even this...Ever since I can remember, this has been the sight I see during spring, it's like a old, familiar friend. Irritating; yes, but still welcome when you've been to places so much worse and uglier"
I trail off and feel warm fingers brush on the skin of the back of my hand.
They curl under and around, holding it tenderly.

"I guess I'd feel the same way about that old ally cat that always hangs outside the front door every morning, waiting for scraps, he hasn't failed to do so in two years"

I look over at my companion, then down at out hands.
I squeeze his hand ever so slightly and smile.
Asher, leans over and gently presses his mouth to the top of my head.
"It's so good to be out, I seriously hope she gets caught so we never have to go back"

"Me too Asher, me too"
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the delay, I have NO internet connection right now. I only have the ability to update this is because I'm at my fathers house, I'll be coming back on Sunday, so I'll update again then.
I regret not being able to update mostly because I lost a bunch of subscribers :(

Thanks to Yay Its Alex!, dawn8279, rivals are insane, kissmyoops, Augustana, Hell's.Angel, Bubbleloveworld, ello.luv, kids in love., KawaiiCookiiee, The-Joker, teya1997 and Frankiiestein :)