Status: done(: the sequel will start next week!

Doesn't Mean a Thing

26.

It took a long time for Elise to recover from the horrific sight of Cedric’s death. She had gone to the funeral and given a picture of her, Cedric, Fleur, and Viktor to his parents. She and Fred spent every waking second together.

Anton and Elise fully accepted Voldemort was back. Her father trusted Dumbledore with his whole heart and took Harry’s word. As for Harry, no one had heard from him for a while. It seemed as he’d disappeared for a while. Every once in a while they’d get a letter, but that was it. They sent him food everyday through Hedwig.

Elise returned on a hot July night from a walk through the village with Fred. Her father was sitting in a chair with a dark haired woman.

“Aunt Laurel, what are you doing here?” she asked, shocked.

Laurel and Anton looked at each other. “Elise, this isn’t easy to say.” Laurel said. “We know how much you love it here and how much you love Hogwarts. I loved it, as did your father.”

“But you’re better off at Beauxbatons.” Her father stated, staring at the ground.

Elise paused. “You’re joking, right?”

Her dad shook her head. “No, Elise. You will pack your belongings and leave with Laurel at the end of the week.”

“What the hell?! It’s Thursday, Papa!” she screamed. “You want me to dump my entire life and go back to Beauxbatons?!”

Her dad winced. “Elise, just do as I say.”

“It won’t be bad, Elise. You’ll have me. You can come to stay with me on the weekends like you used to.” She assured.

“But I don’t want to leave! I have a boyfriend! I have friends!” she yelled.

“Just do it!” Anton screamed angrily. “It’s not safe here and it’s better for you to be out of the country. I have to stay here, but I can keep you safer by keeping you at Beauxbatons.” He said. “I lost your mother, and I will not lose you.” He said angrily.

“Please, Papa, please let me stay.” She sobbed.

He looked away. “It is my final decision.”

*~*~*~*

Minutes later, Elise was at the doorstep of the Weasleys. Mrs. Weasley opened the door. “Hello dear, Fred’s asleep, I’m afraid you’ll have to see him tomorrow.” She said. She then noticed the tears streaming down Elise’s face and let her in.

Elise ran up the stairs to Fred and George’s room. She opened the door. George fell out of bed. “Jesus!” Fred shot up and turned on the light.

“Elise, what’s wrong?” Fred asked. George stood up.

“My dad’s making me go back to Beauxbatons.” She blurted. “I’m leaving at the end of the week.”

George quickly evacuated the room. Fred took her in his arms. “Why?” he asked, patting the back of her hair.

“He says it’s not safe here.” She sobbed.

“Bullocks; there’s nowhere safer than Hogwarts.” Fred sneered.

“He says it’s better for me to stay out of the country in a time like this.” She said. “There’s
nothing I can do but go.”

“Then you should.” He said firmly.

“I know I should.” Elise sobbed harder.

“What about us?” Fred asked quietly.

Elise looked at him, red in the face. “That doesn’t mean a thing.” She whispered.

Fred stood up. “I think you should go home, Elise.” He said. “I love you…but it doesn’t mean a thing.”

*~*~*~*

Elise stood outside her doorstep. Her dad had floo networked the fireplace and sent her bags to her aunt’s. Before leaving she wanted to see the Weasleys. They were going to London to stay the rest of their holidays.

She saw them packing their bags in their car. Ginny waved to Elise, who waved back. Ron smiled sadly. George saluted her and Fred just stared.

It hurt so badly.

The day after the night she’d come to him, they decided to end it. It would be too hard for them-her in France, him at Hogwarts. It hurt to be far away, but it hurt not knowing what the other half was doing every day.

They got into their car. Ginny sat in the front with her mother and father. Ron and the twins piled into the back. As they drove past her house, Fred gave her a sad smile.

“Are you ready to go, Elise?” Her father asked.

Elise shook her head. “I have one more thing to do.”

*~*~*~*

Elise stood in the graveyard. It was midday and she sat on the grass. The sun beat down on her back. Her dress was bound to have grass stains, but she didn’t care. She had to see him one last time before leaving.

“You’ve come to see Cedric, have you?” asked a quiet voice.

Elise turned to see Mrs. Diggory carrying flowers to accompany the ones Elise put at his grave.

“Amos can’t come here. He hasn’t seen him since the funeral.” She said. “I come here every day to see him.”

“I did the same with my mother when she died. I sat at her grave every day for a year.” She said quietly. “I’m so sorry.”

“He died happy. That’s all I could ask for, is the peace of mind. At least, I think he did. He just
won the cup; I suppose he would be. I like to think he was.” She said.

Elise burst into tears. “He promised me everything was going to be perfect. He told me right before going in that everything would be perfect after that night, but it wasn’t. Now he’s not
here and everything is messed up.”

Mrs. Diggory patted her back. “But he’s here, dear. He’s living through us. We have to live for him. What he missed out on, we live for him. Remember that. Cedric did not die to have people weep over him every day. He’d want closure. I stopped crying. But I still come here to be with him.” She said. “Live…live for him.”

Elise brushed her tears out of her eyes and held her hand. “You’re a brave woman.” She said. She kissed her fingertips and pressed it against Cedric’s headstone. Setting off for home, she made it back in time.

“Are you ready to leave now?” her father asked.

Elise looked at her short-lived home. “Yes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sad face.