The Stranger Next to Me

One

Sound check had to be the least entertaining part of my day. Although it had to be done, I hated doing it. Especially after two and a half months of doing it day after day. The only thing I was looking forward to was the fact that we were finally home. The show we were doing tonight was our last stop of the sold out tour. We were ending this sideshow with a bang.

I am the front woman of a band called I Am Hollywood and we are finishing up our biggest tour yet. A night at the circus was the theme that had accompanied us as we traveled from city to city, performing nightly to thousands of people, who sang with us through every second of it. This production was huge and although it costs a lot of money, our fans deserved the best…and I’ve always wanted to dress up like a circus performer. Sue me.

The costumes, make-up, lighting and props were extravagant and a little ridiculous. My band members and I could assure you of that. We were pretty much a traveling circus, the only difference was the fact that we made music as well. We had aerialists, acrobats, clowns, jugglers, fire eaters, contortionists. You name it, we had it. Our crew was one that met expectations and went beyond and without them, this wouldn't be the show that it is. They were just as much a part of it as we were. However, with all good things comes an end and sadly, our end was in less than five hours.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, our last stop, our hometown. I loved this city more than any other place in the world. This was home.

The band and I went through our set list and since we were home for our last show, we added a few extra songs. After getting all of the equipment set up to our liking, and gallivanting around the stage, we were free to go until show time.

Most musicians usually feel relieved to be back home, but if this tour extended for another year I wouldn’t turn it down. This was the experience of a lifetime and I got to live it. Kids say they want to join the circus before they reach their teenage years, and as an adult, I have. Sort of.

“Last show of the tour, are you gonna cry?” Jake, our drummer asked me as we walked off of the stage. I gave him a playful shove once we got to the bottom of the stairs. He gave a chuckle as we headed down the hallways of First Niagara Pavilion, to our dressing rooms. Multiple rooms were needed for not only the amount of people, but for the cases of costumes and props.

A piece of paper with our band name on it was taped to the door, nothing special, indicating that this was our dressing room. I opened the door with ease and walked into the room. It was dimly lit, which I was thankful for. After touring with bright lights in your face for months, you are thankful for anything less.

I grabbed a bottle of water that was sitting on the counter top and took a big swig. Our wardrobe cases were being wheeled into the room just as the rest of the band filed in.

“Marc-Andre, you asshole!” His laughter echoed through the empty halls. Marc-Andre is one of my neighbors in the lofting complex that I live in. I knew that he was the goalie of the Pittsburgh Penguins, just like he knew that I fronted a band. We treated each other like human beings instead of some freaky higher power and thus, we became friends. Given our conflicting schedules, I haven't met any of his team mates, much less attend a game which was disappointing to say the least.

I gave him a shove, making him stumble back. I glared at him as he opened his arms. I sighed and walked into them, giving him a hug. We let go and he rubbed the top of my head, disturbing the slouching beanie that sat on top of it, thus messing up my hair. "Do you know how much I hate you, Flower? Do you? Because I don't think that you do."

"I forget 'ow tiny you are. You're like a doll." He cooed.

"Excuse me for not being six foot two. I apologize for being a measly five foot four. Please forgive me."

"Yeah, yeah." He looked down, "Your shoes are obnoxious." I looked down at my silver oxfords.

"Gee, thanks."

"On another note, we 'ave not seen each other in months!" His French accent was thick as he ranted. His accent was thick anyways, but whatever.

"That's what happens when you forget about little ol' me, Marc. You're too important to remember me." I gave him a faux lip tremble.

"Oh, stop that. I 'ear you have sexy outfit for show." His English was getting more broken up, not because he couldn't get it out, he was just comfortable around me and didn't really care.

"And who'd you hear that from?" His eyes shifted to the person, who I just noticed, that was next to him. I raised an eyebrow while the guy looked between Flower and myself.

"Don't look at me." I looked back to Flower.

"Talbot show me on the internet." Flower said with a smirk. My hands went to my hips as I chuckled.

"It's a good thing that I switch up my outfits every show, isn't it? I'm Lola by the way." I reached my hand out as Talbot put his in mine and gave it a shake.

"Max."

"So are you guys staying for the show? Last one of the tour." I asked hopefully.

"No. We just came to see your sexy outfit and leave." He said as he rolled his eyes. "Of course we're watching the show."

"You're still an asshole."

+

"So, about that outfit..." Talbot said as I started picking out my outfits for the show from a large traveling wardrobe chest. I picked out my main pieces; hats, jackets, shoes, and left my 'sexy' outfit in the chest so that they couldn't see it.

"You aren't seeing my sexy outfit."

"But,"

"No."

"Fine, 'ow many costumes do you 'ave?" The more he talked, the more I recognized his accent. French-Canadian, just like Flower's. I should've known.

"Well, if you must know, I have three outfit switches. One of them is a 'sexy' outfit. You pervs."

"What are you? Lady Gaga?" Flower joked.

"I like how you referred to her as a what and not a who."

+

It was about an hour before show time and I was putting myself together. I threw a white button up blouse with a large collar on as my first piece of clothing, my black leggings going on next. A royal blue tuxedo jacket was the main piece of my costume. The front went to my waist, while the back made two coattails. The last article I put on were my knee-length, black boots.

The guys were putting their finishing touches on their costumes as I started on my make-up. I gave myself the usual circus appearance. White face, red lips and dark eyes. Although it was simple, it was still dramatic.

"Ten minutes." A stagehand popped his head in the door as I placed my top hat on my pulled up hair, put on my short, white gloves and grabbed my cane from one of my prop boxes. I straightened the jacket and walked down the hall.

Show time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm pretty happy I brought this back. Who doesn't love Kris Letang?