The Stranger Next to Me

Seven

“One 2.”

“One 3.”

“Two 4s.”

“Bullshit, you damn Canadian!” I called Marc out for the third time since the game started about a half an hour ago.

“Really? Really? You think I’m bullshitting?” He tried to intimidate me.

“Of course you’re bullshitting. You’re a bullshitter. I called bullshit, you lose. Now pick up the damn cards.” He winced and picked up the entire pile of cards that was in the middle of the round card table. Kris, Chris and I laughed at his demise. “You can’t bullshit a bullshitter, Flower. You of all people should know that.” I mocked with a smile on my face. I couldn’t help but pick up on the looks that Kris was giving Chris. At least they don’t spell their names the same, then this would just be pointless. The glances were uneasy, but why? What did my pinhead brother do this time? “Your turn to start, Flower.”

The game continued on for hours. I ended up being the ultimate bullshitter and won seventy-five dollars. I’m not complaining, however, I couldn’t speak for all of us.

***

“I gotta head home. Duty calls.” Chris said as he checked the time on his phone, pushing his chair back so he could get up. He walked over to me and gave me a hug and kissed my cheek. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Eight o‘clock sharp.” He said goodbye to the guys and left.

“So, how do you know Chris?” Kris asked, something laced in his voice. Suddenly, the looks Kris was giving Chris clicked in my head. After my revelation, I looked to Flower with a smirk on my face.

“Are you thinking what I’m-” He nodded with a smirk on his face.

“I‘m thinking that-” He cut me off. We both looked at Kris.

“What?” Kris looked between us, clearly confused.

“Uh oh. Did you just see that little green monster run out of the door with Chris?” He laughed. “Flower, are you pickin’ up-“ He nodded again.

“I’m picking up what you‘re putting down. God damn.” We both started laughing hysterically as Kris just sat there.

“You can stop glaring at my brother, Kris. I don’t play for the incest team.” His eyes widened. His mouth opened and closed as he tried to counter what I said with something else.

“Bullshit.” Flower called out. I looked over to him and glared.

“You’re still an asshole.”

***

I left Marc’s place about an hour later, figuring I could just go relax in my own house. I was stretched out on my couch, with Hugo spread out on my stomach and Inglourious Basterds playing on my flat screen.

“After I kill that guy, you have 30 feet to get to that guy. Can you do it?” Donny “The Bear Jew” Donowitz’s voice came from my television.

“I have to.” Omar Ulmer replied. This was one of my favorite movies, as of recent. The scene switched.

“As of this moment, both Omar and Donowitz should be sitting in their very seats we left for them, 0023 and 0024 if my memory serves, explosives still around their ankles, still ready to explode and your mission, what some would call a terrorist plot, as of this moment is still a go.” Hans Landa explained to Aldo from across the desk.

“That's a purtty excitin’ story. Whus next? " ‘liza On The Ice"?”His thick southern accent was comical, even through the whole movie. It never got old.

A pounding on my front door startled me from my concentration on the movie. Stiglitz bolted off of me as I heard a door slam and I got up to go check it out. I heard more pounding across the hall and someone yelling. I quietly opened my door and leaned on the frame, watching Kris pound on Marc’s door. He was saying, what I could recognize, swears in French as he relentlessly pounded on the door. I cleared my throat to get his attention. His movements stopped immediately, then he swiftly turned around like a dear in headlights. I kept my face neutral, not amused with what was happening.

Gunshots sounded from my living room, the sounds of Naxis getting shot filling the silence.

“Can I help you?”

“I…I, uh…‘e…”He pointed to Marc’s door. “Are you free tomorrow?” His lips were pursed as he looked anywhere but at me. Honestly, what was the matter with these guys. I don’t want a flock of Penguins coming after me. I kind of wanted to tell him I was busy, but a feeling in my gut told him I was free.

“I’m busy…” His face fell. “In the morning. I’ll be free around noon.” He finally looked at me.

“Would you like to join me for lunch?” Butterflies erupted in my stomach and I feared that they would just fly out of my mouth. However, that would be disgusting and I’m sure Kris would lose any interest he had in me.

“I’d love to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
D'awww *squeeeeee*