Rain

The Final Hit

My life ended six months ago. That was the time I ran away from my mom so I could live with my boyfriend, Adam Prince. When I had first met Nelson he was the greatest guy ever. We were inseparable but now, it makes me sick to see his smug little face as I delete all of his pictures from my phone.

We lived in a tiny apartment together. For the first few weeks we lived off our savings. But one night, when I said there was no beer in the fridge, Nelson got up from his seat and slapped me violently. I can still feel the bruise that he made when my head smacked on the table.

"If there's no beer in the fridge get off your sorry ass and get a god damn job!" He then grabbed me hard and pushed me out into the hallway, my head forcefully making contact with the wall. I heard the click of him locking the door. Frightened, I ran off to my moms house.

A few hours later I got a text from Adam saying 'come back or I will stab myself.' I came to the apartment a little later. What else could I do? Eventually I did get a job at the pharmacy but Adam took my money and only gave me a small percentage of the money per week. He would only chip in at the rent but the rest of my money went to food while he spent his on gambling and hangovers.

One time I went out of the dug store I worked out into the rain where I saw my brother, Brian. I hadn't seen in weeks since he went to college.

"Maddie!" Brian said, smiling. We hugged and I was happier than I had been for a long time.

"Haven't seen you in years! How's college?"

"It's actually going really well. I got ninety seven percent in the provincial exam!"

"Oh my god that's great! You are so going to be a doctor!"

"Maddie," I heard someone call. Turning away, I saw Adam.

"I have to go," I told him.

"Can we go out to dinner to catch up around seven?"

"I'd love to but I can't," I replied.

As Adam and I drove home I could feel the tension rising.

"Who was that bastard your having a fucking affair with?" Adam asked.

"'That bastard' is my brother. How could you think I would cheat on you?"

"Your brother my ass!" Adam said. Reaching over, he hit me right across the face.

"Alright that is enough! I had enough with your fucking shit! Your not a prince, Adam!" I yelled. It felt so good to finally stand up to that bastard. Quickly, Adam swerved the car to the side of the road.

"Get out!" He yelled.

"What..." I stuttered.

"You heard me! Get the fuck out of the god damn car!" I unlocked the seat belt, opened the door, and stepped out into the rain. I leaned against the building looking up at the clouds, the drops of water hit my head. Then, feeling ashamed, I looked down. What was I suppose to do now? I couldn't walk to mom's from here, my dad's dead, my mom herself was at work, and didn't have any money. Getting an idea I took out my phone, dialing a number I hadn't dialed in a while.

"Hey Brian? Could you pick me up? I really need to see you."

*********************************************************************************************

A few weeks later Maddie Buttons got a raise at the drug store and things seemed to be going very well for her during the time she lived with her brother. After refusing pleas to come back from an ex-boyfriend, Maddie was found dead in her brother's house. The weapon involved was a large knife owned by her ex-boyfriend Adam Prince.