Farmer's Daughter

Luke's Point of View

"Momma, I'm home," I called out, walking through the front door. "And I caught some big fish. I'll clean them in a little bit." Momma was standing silently agains the counter, not being her normal energetic self. I walked up behind her, kissing her cheek. "Is everything okay?"

She nodded, smiling a little. I knew she was lying. It was to hard to read Momma. Well, for me it wasn't. Me being a Momma's boy, I caught on to her emotions and tonight, something had to be really bothering her. Or her and dad got into another arguement about me moving to Nashville.

"So, you had fun fishin'?"

"Uh, yeah. Like always."

I eyed her as she moved around the kitchen, taking things out of the fridge and moving the pots off of the hot stove. Yep, there was definitely something wrong with her. My Momma was never quiet. Even in the kitchen alone, she still sang or had a conversation with herself.

She turned around and smiled at me, coming over to mess with my hair.

"Is there something wrong, Thomas?"

"I was kinda wonderin' the same thing. You don't... You just seem like there is somethin' wrong," After sighing, she turned away, going back over to the stove. "Is there somethin' wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"Tell me."

"Thomas, it's nothing. Really."

She only called me Thomas when something was wrong. And even if nothing was wrong, something was bothering her.

"Would you just tell me already. I'm not letting it go until you tell me."

"My god. Thomas Luther, you act just like your father. Neither one of ya listen to a dagum thing I say," She turned, one hand on her hip. "Just leave it, son."

"Nope. I'll just go ask Daddy."

"No, you will do no such thing," She shook her head, placing her hands on the end of the counter, looking down. "Your father found you a job."

"Really!? Momma..."

"It's in Alabama, Thomas." She glanced at me over her shoulder. "That is a good ways away from here. You know that, right?"

"Well, sure I do, but this is amazin'." Her heartbroke a little more listening to my excitement. Momma wanted me to stay near her. She didn't like me going off to far just incase something happens and she can't get to me in time. I walked over and wrapped my arms around her. "Everything is going to work out, Momma. You just gotta trust me."

She blinked back the tears trying to escape and smiled.

"I do, son. I do." She pointed to the cabinet. "Get some plates down, will ya and set the dinner table. Your father and Chris should be back soon and dinner is done."

I nodded, quickly getting five plates down. I all but threw the items down on the table, then jogged upstairs to wash up. I gently knocked on Rebecka's door, letting her know dinner was done.

When I glanced at myself in the mirror, I noticed how big my smile was. This job, it was a big thing for me. It's not easy trying to save up money on only allowence to get to Nashville.

"Luke, hurry up! Dinner is served!" Christopher said, banging on the bathroom door. "I'm hungry, if you couldn't tell."

Oh, anyone could tell. He was like a vacuum cleaner. He sucked up any kind of food near him. I honestly don't know where he puts it.

I saw my father, Rebecka, momma, and Chris sitting around the table, ready to say grace. Momma smiled at me, patting the chair next to her. I quickly sat down, taking her hand and Rebecka's. Father, like always, said grace, making everyone smile at one another. Daddy didn't even have enough time to pick his knife and fork up before Rebecka and Chris started talking his ears off. Rebecka was going boy crazy and Chris just wanted to shoot something. And he complains he doesn't have a girlfriend. If he would stop being so flipping weird.

"Thomas," My dad smiled at me, chewing his chicken. "What did you do today?"

"Uh, I went fishin' and I sang at the old bar around lunch."

He smiled, looking down at his food, scooping some corn onto his fork. I knew he didn't agree with me going into the old bar, worrying I was going to get hurt by one of the old men or young, wild women in there, but I wasn't so worried. I knew them better than my parents knew. They were harmless people who just had problems to drink away and wanted some entertainment. One day, I would more than likely be in their position. Scary thought, but true.

"Off that subject," He looked back up at me. "I've found you a job. It'll get you away from you 'friends' at the bar and get you some really good money." He sipped some of my momma's amazing tea before continuing. "Mr. Eckward is offering ten dollars a hour, morning 'til sundown. Think you are cut out for it?"

"I'm more than cut out for it, daddy."

"Then it's final. After dinner you are going to call him, get his location and when you need to start working. Alright?"

"Yes, sir."

My momma, she was upset the rest of the dinner. She didn't say one word to me or my father. She just sat there, looking down, earing her food. I felt bad. Really bad, but I knew this was going to happen. Everyone grows up and moves out. It happens to everyone and it was finally happening to me. I tried to look at it from my momma's point of view, but I couldn't get that depressed about me leaving.

After dinner, I quickly cleared the table and did the dishes since tonight was my night to do it. I was so excited about calling Mr. Eckward.

I quickly put the dishes in their places, then ran to the living room where momma was sitting, knitting a blanket, and picked up the phone. Daddy had left Mr. Eckwards near the phone. I smiled, dialing it.

"Hello," A sweet, soft voice sang out. "This is the Eckward residence. May I help you?"

"Uh, yes. I'm looking for a Mr. Eckward about the job."

"Hold on one second and I'll get him for you, sweets."

I found out that I had been talking to Mr. Eckward's daughter. I smiled, knowing I'd be able to meet her in person. Hopefully she wasn't one of those insanely fat, ugly girls with a really cute voice.

"Hello, this is Hoyt Eckward."

"Um, yeah. This is Thomas Bryan. My daddy sa..."

"Ah, Luke." He chuckled. I could hear papers rustling around in the background. "So, I hear you are in need of a job, quick."

"Oh, yes, sir. I'm trying to save up money to get to Nashville."

"Any particular reason you want to be in Nashville? That's a good minute from your home."

"I want to attend college, hopefully get my dream going."

"Dream?"

I sighed, knowing he was going to laugh at me.

"I want to be a country singer, sir."

"Oh, is that so? That is quite some dream you have there, boy." He laughed, clapping his hands. "Oh, you'll have to sing for me and my family sometime. We all love a little music from time to time."

"I'd love to, sir."

"Boy, please stop callin' me sir. You make me sound older than dirt. Call me Hoyt."

"Sure thing, si... I mean Hoyt."

He went into everything the job required and it wasn't to much. I just needed to have a truck, which I had. I needed to not be afraid to get dirty. I love getting dirty. And I need to have strong arms. To be honest, I could impress this man just by walking up to him.

"So, son, are you willing to be here by sometime tomorrow?"

"Whatever you need me to do."

"You know we are in Alabama, right?"

I nodded. "My daddy told me. I'm willing to come to you to work."

I knew it pleased him to hear that. I promised him I'd leave early in the morning to try and make it there by lunch before getting off the phone. I shot up the stairs and quickly started packing. I planned on getting up around five, maybe five thirty to head out.

I turned around quickly, looking towards my door, when I heard someone crying. My momma stood there, tissue in hand, watching me pack up. I frowned, walking over, wrapping her in my arms.

"You're leaving tomorrow, aren't you?"

"Bright and early in the morning."

That brought on more water works. She stood against me, face buried in my chest for the longst time. She just cried away. I felt like I was going to die tomorrow or something. She knew I was going to come back and see her. It's not like I was going to move away and cut myself off from my family.

"You know, I'm going to call you every night."

"Promise?"

"Of course, Momma. Stop being so sad."

She stepped back, wipping her eyes. She smiled up at me, smoothing my shirt out.

"Go out back with your daddy and brother and hang out for the last time. I'll pack your things up." I started to protest, but she shoved me towards the door. "Dont' make me tell you again, Thomas Luther."

I laughed, jogging down the stairs. My daddy passed me a beer as soon as I stepped out the back door. Chris smiled at me.

"You talk to Mr. Eckward?"

"Yeah," I took a seat across from the others. I sighed, taking a big swig of the beer. "I leave in the morning. Early in the morning."

"That's good." My daddy smiled. "I'm proud of you. You are going to do a good job."

"Oh, I know I am."

We laughed, told jokes, but none of us acted like it was going to be the last time this happened. Momma came outside, but she didn't stay. Daddy took her inside to get ready for bed and Chris had work in the morning. I sat outside alone, letting the thoughts run through my head.

I was finally growing up and getting away from here.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't checked for typos.
So, yeah. Let me know if you see any.