Revenge Seekers

Revenge Seekers-Zane

Zane
“I don’t know man” Zane Gibson told his best friend Kyle while Zane laced his fingers and put them behind his head.
“Your right she’s way too hot for you” Kyle joked, Zane punch him hard in the shoulder. “What about that one?” Kyle asked while pointing to a girl with dark hair.
“Seriously?”
“Yeah, why not your type?”
Every weekend Zane and Kyle come to the mall in their home town of Murrieta, California and bet each other if they can get the girl the other one pointed out. “I don’t know” Zane said with a mouth-full of fries. They both began to laugh. “Ok,” he breathed “what about her?” Zane asked while pointing to a girl with blonde hair carrying a Hollister bag.
“Ick I’d rather date this burger.”
“Come on you know she’s hot.”
“I want my girl to have a brain.”
“She does it’s probably the size of a nut but at least she has one.”
“She’s a total airhead look she just ran into a glass door.”
“I guess that’s why Hollister doesn’t have doors.”
“Or they would have a lot of head concussions.”
“I’m going to get another drink you want anything?” Zane asked
“No I’m good” Kyle lifted his drink and shook it to tell Zane it was still full. Zane got up from his chair and began to walk across the busy food court bursting with people. There were kids about Kyle and Zane’s age as well as little kids running around the tables. Zane walked over to the Carl’s Junior stand. He walked to the counter and noticed a very pretty girl behind it.
“Welcome to Carl’s Junior what can I do for you?” she asked. He looked at her name tag which read Marissa.
“Pervert!” she shouted while covering her chest.
“No… I wasn’t shit!” he blushed. “I wanted to know your name that’s all”. he stared at the floor not realizing his face was beat red.
“Oh... I’m sorry I’m just used to guys staring at my chest.” Her arms fell to her side.
“Those guys make us looks bad. I’m totally against that. I think the inside is most important.” he pointed to his heart.
“Now why can’t all guys be like you?” she leaned foreword as she said it.
“Because I’m one of a kind.” he whispered. He smiled. She smiled also.
“I’ll tell you what my shift is over in a couple of minutes how about you and I go to lunch.”
Zane and Marissa walked over to where Kyle was sitting. Kyle looked at them in shock but was happy that he could come along. They walked around the mall and went out to eat. Zane was having so much fun and he could tell that Marissa was too.
“Zane, what school do you guys go to?” Marissa asked
“Chaparral, you?”
“Chaparral”
“Really?” Zane asked
“Yes I’m really shy though.”
“Then I guess you have heard of Zane’s older brother.” Kyle piped
Zane slapped him on the chest.
“What brother?” Marissa asked with a bit of curious in her voice.
“Have you heard of Insane Wayne?”
“Yes who hasn’t” she said laughing
“That’s my brother” he said quietly
Marissa almost spit out her soda.
“You’ve got to be joking Insane Wayne that was the first kid at West to get caught smoking pot in the bathroom. He’s your brother?”
“Yes, now can we please get off the subject” Zane said bitterly
“Why what’s the problem?”
“You try having your brother being the only thing people talk about and it’s not for how smart he was or how great an athlete he was.” Zane said hotly almost leaping from the booth he was sitting in.
“I’m sorry I didn’t know-”
“That’s right you don’t know” he stormed out of the restaurant and into the fresh air.
“Wow” Marissa breathed
“He doesn’t like people talking about his brother and I shouldn’t have brought it up” Kyle said with his head down.
“It’s ok Kyle.” Marissa assured him with a pat on the shoulder which made him grin.
“I think you should go talk to him” Kyle suggested
“Ok I will” she said as she scooted out of the booth. She walked out into the courtyard where Zane was sitting on a bench smoking a cigarette.
“You know that stuff is bad for you right?” she joked
He looked at her with his eyes red and puffy.
“Yeah I know that’s why I’m smoking them so I’ll die sooner so I don’t have to get teased about the stupid shit my brother did.” He blew out the smoke that was in his mouth.
“Look Zane I didn’t know ok I’m really sorry.” She took his hand and cradled it in hers. He stood up letting her hand fall onto the bench.
“I don’t think you realize how much I love my brother. Seeing him getting closer and closer to death scares me. He’s not the same Wayne that showed me to stick up for myself and the Wayne that would always coach me though everything. I’m lucky if he remembers my name let alone any of my other brothers’ names”
“I’m so sorry Zane” She stood up and wrapped her arms around him. His arms wrapped around her and pulled her tight. She began to feel her t-shirt getting wet. She looked up at the sky and noticed it was clear blue. She knew he was crying.