***in' Perfect

You do realize you just won that bet we made, right?

Lexi POV-

In all reality, breakfast was more than twelve hours away and I felt like my stomach was eating my backbone. Alli and I were living off of ramen noodles for the time being. They were cheap, and they didn't taste bad at all when you were really hungry. "Maybe we can gather change and get some chips or something," Alli suggested. "Yeah. They have vending machines," I replied. I could see our hotel from where we were. It was just another quarter mile up the road. Another quarter of a mile and I could lay in my bed.

When Al and I got in, we took turns showering before settling in to start on phone calls. "I think we should call this one first," she said, holding up a piece of paper. It was the ad that said they had two immediate positions available for some local company. "Go for it then," I replied, shrugging.

Zack POV-

My phone vibrated the desk. It was a number I didn't recognize, hopefully someone calling about the job posting. "Hello?" I answered. "Um, yeah, I was just uh, calling about the job posting you had?" a voice came from the other end. It was a sweet female voiced, laced with a trace of a Southern accent. "Oh yeah...uh. Well basically I just need someone to answer the phone, print labels, ship stuff out...if you can come in for an interview, I can tell you more about the position then," I told the girl. "Oh. Okay. Well, I noticed it said two positions available. Do you still have both of them open?" she asked. "Yeah, I do, actually," I answered.

"Well...my sister and I are both looking for a job. We both meet the requirements and everything. See, we just moved here a few days ago and all," she said. "Oh yeah, that's fine. Um...when can you come in for an interview?" I asked her. "Whenever is convenient for you," she replied. I looked at the clock. It was only half past four. "Can you come today?" I asked her. "Both of us?" she answered. I laughed slightly. "Yeah, both of you."

I gave the girl the address, directions, and told her to be there as soon as possible. I locked the dogs out in the back yard and straightened up my office a bit in preparation for their interviews. Hopefully they'd be in and out before Gena got home. I didn't feel like hearing her bullshit that day. Though she'd said she couldn't handle VU on her own, she sure as hell wouldn't be pleased with me interviewing two young girls to work for me. The cheating accusations would come soon enough, the fighting would get worse, and we'd break up and make up a hundred times. She'd bitch out the girls day to day, and more than likely run them off.

Alli POV-

"Third one on the right..." I mumbled, looking down at the paper in my lap as I drove slowly down the street. "Are you sure we're in the right place?" Lexi asked, looking around. "Yes, I'm positive, Lex," I responded, pulling into the driveway of the house numbered 8662. It was a two-storied modern home, with a beautiful landscape and a Mercedes in the driveway. "Nice. We're gonna be working for some stuck up douchebag," Lex said, opening her door. "I told you, he sounded really nice...and I swear, that voice was so familiar," I replied, fixing my hair before stepping out of the car myself. We walked together to the door and stared at one another before knocking. "You do it," she said. I glared at her and rolled my eyes. She popped her collar and smirked at me. "Do it," she said. I giggled and shook my head. She popped her collar once more. "Do it," she repeated as the door opened.

Lexi POV-

I felt myself go red as I realized who was standing in front of me. He was smiling, clad in a pair of dark jeans and a green plaid shirt with the sleeves rolled up, exposing portraits of full, vibrant color on his arms. "You must be Alli and Lexi," he said, stepping aside, "come on in." I looked at my sister and exchanged a look of disbelief with her as we stepped into the foyer of his home. Alli grabbed my hand as we followed Zacky to his office where he sat us down for the interview. "First question...which of you is Alli, and which of you is Lexi?" Zacky asked. I raised my hand. "I'm Lexi," I said. "And I'm Alli," my sister told him. He nodded and looked down at his paper. "So what kind of work experience do you two have?" he asked.

Zacky POV-

The girls looked at one another nervously. "Well, honestly? We don't have any at all. We're good with computers, but we've never had a job before," Alli told me. "Oh," I replied. For some reason both girls giggled. I heard the front door open, followed by heels clicking on the marble. Gena was home early. The office door opened and she stuck her head in, rolled her eyes, and took off. I heard a door slam a few moments later, followed by what sounded like breaking glass. "I'll be right back," I said, standing up. I opened the door and sprinted up the stairs. Clearly she was pissed off, yet again. I swore sometimes that woman just loved to make me miserable. I opened the bedroom door only to be met by a shoe flying toward me. I ducked down, swatting the shoe out of my way. "Fuck, Gena. What's your problem?" I asked, pushing the door open. "You. Who the fuck are they?" she yelled. "They're here for a goddamn interview. Jesus fucking Christ. You said you can't handle it on your own, so I decided to hire someone to help," I replied.

Alli POV-

"I always knew she was a bitch," Lexi said. "Oh my God. Lex," I replied, laughing. "What? You know it's true," she said. "Yeah...God, what the hell is she yelling at him for?" I answered. "No idea...but she needs to stop before I cut her ass," Lex replied. We both burst out laughing momentarily before composing ourselves. A few minutes later, the office door opened again and Zack sat back down in front of us. "Sorry," he said. "It's okay, it's not your fault. She's in a bitchy mood, no big deal," Lexi replied. We both reacted the exact same way; our hands flew to our mouths, our eyes widened, and we both blushed. "I am so sorry," I said for Lexi. Zack shook his head and laughed. "It's okay, don't worry about it," he told us. His laugh made my heart skip a beat. After all, Lexi and I had both been in love with him for the past nine years.

"So...back to the interview. I appreciate you guys coming over," Zack told us. My heart sank. I was almost certain we didn't have the job then. "Where are you girls from?" he asked. I looked up at him and over at Lexi. "Georgia," I answered. "Atlanta area," Lexi added. "I could tell you guys weren't from around here," he replied, his voice laced with light laughter. He licked his lips before continuing talking. "So you guys are reliable? Like, if I tell you you've got a hundred orders to do before Friday, they'll be done?" he asked. Lexi and I both nodded. "Good. Because I have a hundred orders that need to be done before Friday," he said.

Lexi POV-

My eyes widened. A hundred orders had to be filled in two days? How the hell were we supposed to do that? "So if you guys wanna follow me in here, I'll show you what to do, and then I gotta head up to the studio in LA," Zack told us. Alli and I followed him into the room attached to his office, where stacks and stacks of boxes were piled. There was a table in the middle of the room with a pile of invoices. "I've already printed all the labels, but I'll show you guys how to do that tomorrow, because I'm sure we'll get more orders in by then...or if you want, we could check now. It'd add to what all you guys have to do by Friday, but..." Zack said, looking around the room, his voice trailing off. "We can do it," Alli said. "Oh. Okay, well come with me, and I'll show you guys how to check the orders and all," he replied.

Zack POV-

The girls caught on quickly to the concept of checking orders, printing labels, and packaging the orders. By the time I got dressed and left for the studio, they'd already packaged thirty orders and piled them by the door to be taken to the shipping center. They were going to be good workers. They were fast learners, and really sweet girls. I liked them already. I went upstairs to tell Gena goodbye but she ignored me, so I pet the dogs and headed out the door for another long night of recording.

Alli POV-

"That's those...now we have these to do," I said, picking up another stack of invoices. "Um, excuse me...what are you two still doing here?" a voice came from the doorway. "Um, Zack put us to work," Lexi replied immediately. Gena rolled her eyes and strolled into the room. She picked up the pile of invoices we'd already done and walked over to the pile of packages. "This isn't right," she said. "Um, we did them exactly how Zack told us to. How are they not right?" Lexi replied. "He doesn't know what to do with this. I run this company. What I say goes, and I say you redo all of this," Gena answered. She began ripping open packages and tossing them to the table where Lexi and I had everything separated. I stood, my mouth open, staring at the mess she'd made. Surely we'd have to clean it up. Invoices littered the floor along with packaging, stickers, and shirts. "Let's just...clean this up and start over," I said to Lexi. "Fuck that! If she's gonna be like that then I'm not staying," she replied. She grabbed the keys and headed for the door. "Lex!" I called, stepping over the debris. "I'm serious, Al. If she's gonna be like that, I'm not putting up with it. I'll find a job somewhere else. You can stay if you want to. I don't care who it is..I'll come get you when you're ready to come home," Lexi told me.

Lexi POV-

I threw my purse into the passenger seat of the car and slammed the door, leaning against the side of the car. California had been a disaster so far, and it didn't seem to be getting any better. Sure, we'd met Zacky, and I'd worked for him for a few hours; but Gena got in the way. She was always in the way it seemed, or, in her eyes, he was in the way. I'd never met either of them personally before, hell, I'd never seen Avenged before, but I could tell by pictures and the way he talked about her that something just wasn't right, and by the way things had gone that day, I knew that I was right. I yanked open the driver's door and got into the car, put the key in the ignition, and turned it to start. After four tries to crank the car, I gave up. I rested my head against the steering wheel and cursed the car all the way back to Georgia. At the rate things were going, I'd much rather be back in Georgia, even under the circumstances I lived in there.

Zack POV-

I pulled back into the driveway to find Lexi sitting on the ground, her back against her car, knees pulled to her chest, and her head buried in her hands. I had a feeling Gena had gotten to her, and that pissed me off. "Hey Lexi...what's wrong, sweetie?" I asked, kneeling down next to her. She looked up at me, her face tear-streaked. "Everything," she replied. "Let me guess. Gena?" I asked. She nodded and wiped at her face. "The car won't start, either," she told me. I looked up at her car and back down at her. "Come on back inside. I'll talk to G. You weren't planning on quitting on me, were you?" I asked. She gave an embarrassed smile and nodded. "I was...it's been a rough few months...I just...broke a little, I guess," she replied. "I know the feeling. It's okay to break sometimes, though. Come on," I said, holding my hand out ot her. She took it without hesitation and walked back inside with me. Alli was in the office, printing more labels and sticking them on packages. "What happened?" I asked her. "Gena ripped open all the packages so I'm having to re-do them," she told me. "She ripped open all the packages?" I repeated. Alli nodded and yanked the papers from the printer, taking off into the room where all the merch was stored. "Lexi...go help your sister. I'll go talk to Gena and then we'll get you girls home," I said. Lexi nodded and followed my instructions. I shook my head, frustrated, and walked out of my office and up the stairs. This was going to end in a fight and it wasn't going to be pretty.

Alli POV-

"Seriously, Al, he's so sweet..." Lexi said, sealing a box. "I've noticed," I replied, folding a shirt and putting it into another box. I tossed in a few stickers and a note from Zack, then shoved it across the table to Lexi. "What's wrong?" she asked. "I'm just...stressed, Lex. With the way Gena bitched us out, the car breaking down...I don't know what to do," I replied. "I don't know what's wrong with it...maybe we can get it checked out," Lexi suggested. "With what money?" I replied in a whisper. "Well what else are we supposed to do? It's fix the car or lose our jobs, Al. We've gotta decide. We've got almost a grand,"Lexi told me. I nodded and held up a finger to Lexi. I could hear Zack yelling for Gena, and shamelessly, I wanted to hear them fight.

Zack POV-

"Gena...where are you?" I called, opening doors. "In here," she snapped from our bedroom. "What the fuck did you say to them?" I asked her. I was sick of being nice. She had absolutely no reason to be rude or mean to those girls at all. "Exactly what I needed to say. They were doing shit wrong. I run this company, I know how shit goes," she replied. "Gena, they were doing exactly what I told them to. I double-checked their work before I left. Not much could've changed in the past half-hour," I said. "Look, I told you...it wasn't how I do it, so it needed to be fixed!" she snapped. I licked my lips before replying. "You don't do it right yourself, Gena. How can you correct someone?" I asked. "Excuse me? I don't do it right? I do it exactly how it's supposed to be!" she told me. "No, you don't...why do you think we get so many complaints? But you know what, you don't have to worry about it anymore because you're done with VU. I can't jeopardize my company anymore," I said.

"What do you mean, done with VU?" she asked, moving her fingers in air quotes as she said 'done with VU'. "I mean you're fired," I said, air quoting 'you're fired'. If she wanted to be a smartass, then so could I. She stood up and grabbed her purse. "Fuck you, Zack...and have fun with those two whores you've hired," Gena replied, brushing past me. I didn't even bother chasing her down. I let her go. It was far past time to do it, and it felt good to watch her walk away.

Lexi POV-

"Holy fuck," I whispered. "Oh my God," Alli said, my hand over her mouth. "You do realize you just won that bet we made, right?" I asked her. "What bet?" she replied. "You know the one...about them dumping one another? If she broke up with him, you fucked him first, if he broke up with her, I fucked him first," I explained. Alli covered her mouth as she laughed. "Oh, that one," she replied. "Lucky bitch," I said, giving her a fake glare. "Oh come on, Lex. Like that'll really happen," Alli said. "It might! Oh my God, Al, this is all our fault," I told her. "No, it's not, Lexi. It was bound to happen eventually," Alli replied.

"Hey Alli, can one or both of you go pick up some food? I'm not gonna go to the studio tonight. I'm gonna stay here and help you girls fix all this shit," Zack said, sticking his head in the door. "I'll go," Alli said. "You want me to go?" I asked. She shook her head no. "Uh. Problem, our car isn't working," Alli said to Zack. "You can take mine," he told her. I gaped at them both. Was he going to let her drive his Mercedes, for real? He pulled his keys out of his pocket and handed them to her. "Get whatever you want. Just call me when you get there please, let me know where you're at, and I'll decide what I want then," he told her, pulling some money from his wallet.

Alli left, leaving Zack and I alone. We went into the storage room to pick up the rest of the mess Gena had made. "I am so sorry," I said to Zack. For some reason, my eyes were flooding with tears. I felt so guilty. Had it not been for my sister and I, he and Gena would still be together. "What for?" he asked. "I feel responsible. Had I not yelled at her, she wouldn't have snapped so bad..." I said, tears falling from my lashes. "Lexi, no...it's not your fault. Me and Gena have been on the edge for a while, don't blame yourself," Zack told me. "But it is my fault, Zack, had I not yelled back at her, you guys wouldn't have gotten in a fight. I should've just kept my mouth shut and listened to her," I said, tears still streaming down my face.

I was cut off by his lips brushing mine, stopping my tears. I wrapped my hands around his neck, pulling him into me, kissing him harder.